3D Printed Warwell... R&R 45t Crane, ICI Hopper, Biomass & others

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Just a quick one, with the online ordering, I don't suppose you have a standard Royal Mail postage by any chance? The website quotes a UPS postage at £7+ but just wondered if there was a slower economy option as well,

Many thanks in advance,

James

Hello Folk,

Neil, the first batch of cranes I hope may be out for around the turn of the month (I am getting there, slowly), with the subsequent batches to follow over the summer.

James, I take it you are referring to Shapeways or I.materialise's site, unfortunately they set the postage rates and handle all manufacturing and distribution, that UPS delivery is from mainland Europe though and is normally two day tracked so is mostly worth the money.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Matthew

• RMweb Premium

James, I take it you are referring to Shapeways or I.materialise's site, unfortunately they set the postage rates and handle all manufacturing and distribution, that UPS delivery is from mainland Europe though and is normally two day tracked so is mostly worth the money.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Matthew

Thanks for clarifying Matthew,

I'm really impressed with the PFAs and MOD containers, will gather some funds and put a bulk order through in due course!

Cheers,

James

• RMweb Premium

No problem James,

Will these be for Loftus Road then?

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Thanks yes I'm sure they will appear on Loftus Road, though I'm mainly modelling them for my future personal layout project which features regular MOD traffic amongst other GWML stuff!

Test print of the day,

Tafoos Biomass Hopper, below shows the basic body and chassis of the first prototype of this wagon, the results have been surprisingly good but the body does require alot of filler and smoothing to give a nice sheet metal finish, I think for this reason the body will have to be a 'scratch builders aid', I am planning to do all the fine detail parts in FUD so that the body can be sanded easily. The odd look of the roof is due to a patchwork of filler as this was only an initial test. If I end up releasing these I plan to include the body, chassis, fine detail, Bachmann bogies with Romford axles. I will have to look into transfers but cannot guarantee them, however the first 25 I think ran in unbranded livery for a while.

Will be interested to hear what people think.

post-13109-0-55617600-1405109873_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 5

Some of WBFs 80s containers! There's a few different styles and patterns, just as in real life.

OCL and ITEL. Genstar is also an original WBF prototype:

post-9147-0-40672600-1405267871_thumb.jpg

Stark industries and the OPDR soft top conversion:

post-9147-0-07890400-1405268043_thumb.jpg

Another Stark industries this time with raised corrugation data panels, NYK (my favorite this batch), and Tiphook 40ft which is another original prototype.

post-9147-0-85453800-1405268113_thumb.jpg

there's 1 more of a different style which I've not finished decorating yet, the transfers are a lot more complex. Pics when it's ready.

• Like 3

Thanks HSTFAN13 & RS4 for your comments,

Looks Amazing :)

Would Love 1 or more

When are these coming out and are they made in the UK like your 80s 20ft containers?

HSTFAN13

Lee

HSTFAN13, timescale wise I am not totally sure as yet as I will be waiting until I start shipping the cranes before I do any more on these, but will post updates on here when Its progressing. My intention is that the body and chassis will be UK made with the fine detail parts made by Shapeways in Holland. If I supply the full works then the axles will be Romfords (UK made), Bachmann bogies (China), Dapol couplings (UK/China not sure) and possibly Transfers (UK made).

Like that Matthew.

I would like a half decent rake of 15 or so....

I guess an expensive option would be using the decals ex 60066 ?

RS4, I would very much like to see you tackle a rake of these, especially I you have 60066 to go with it. I shall have to have a word with Precision decals about whether they would do them, that is of course that the blue team don't announce them on Sunday.

Satan's Goldfish, Good to see the finish 'Viking' looks great! I will get those 40's sorted when I get the printer back into one piece (again!), and have a intermodal flat to hand.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 1

Hi Matthew, yes, the biomass wagons are a no brainer in my opinion. If anyone at Drax and Bachmann are thinking straight surely they are an appealing wagon. But..... in respect to your time and effort let's hope not...

Tell you one thing I've been meaning to ask..... and this can get like a wish list can't it...... Since Dapol cancelled the MLA... is that possible ? I've been chewing over a possible conversion from a JNA

• Like 1

Hello Everyone,

Woops that photos at a sensible hour thing went out the window, I shall try again tomorrow.

Lee, you are spot on, they are the FFA/FGA's, My photos show the first test print of an early FFA design, Richards conveniently timed photo shows the FGA at the back, and FFA at the front.

Satan's Goldfish, yes they certainly are, an updated design will be prototyped tomorrow. They are designed to sit on my own Ride Control bogies that I had printed when I first started this project (Far back in the sands of time when...), which are done in FUD, I would have shown it sat on them but its been so long I can only find one. Doh! That is not to say that they cannot be modified to suit the Hornby ones.

Biomass update to follow

Regards

Wild Boar Fell

In other news, the cranes instructions are nearly signed off for printing, the penultimate step. Hurrah!

(I definitely should get some sleep)

• Like 5

Ah well, I will still continue with mine anyway (Though I will probably get some Bachmann ones too when they come out), It will also be interesting to see which containers they pick for them too. I also wonder how they are going to manage to get it to negotiate tight radius curves. 

Wild Boar Fell

(At least it was that one they picked)

• Like 3

Well. It's a green light for the biomass then Matthew.

Very pessimistic business approach from Barwell.

I don't know how you can run a business without any product

Shame about the freight liner flats, but I guess they're about 2 years off anyway !

Finally here are those photos I promised.

First up is the 1st test print (bottom) which due to the drawings I was working from being scaled wrongly were about 4mm too short. This has been corrected and locking points have been added and test printed this morning (top). I have further updated this design and created the FGA, but printer trouble today has thwarted all attempts to print it.

post-13109-0-24322800-1405865811_thumb.jpg

As can be seen some wisps still need cleaning off it, and a little cleaning up but I am happy with how it has worked.

post-13109-0-38339300-1405865826_thumb.jpg

On the Biomass front, I must thank Lee (HSTFAN13) for suggesting this project as it is proving great fun, I now have 9 bodyshells produced (2 prototypes and 7 production ones). But the printer failure has prevented me from printing the last one for my rake. Once I have some Dapol couplings I will get the chassis locked down and then I can actually run them. An initial quote for transfer is turning me towards doing them in the as delivered scheme of plain grey with data panels.

post-13109-0-32625800-1405865789_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-88766200-1405865801_thumb.jpg

Please note that they haven't warped, that is distortion in my camera (I have checked).

Edit: Forgot to add that since the first print the surface quality of the sides has improved drastically, meaning the sides only need about 5 minutes work each an only a little filler and filing. The roof doors do need filler however due to the stepping.

Still plenty more fish in the sea where projects are concerned.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Edited by Wild Boar Fell
  • Like 6