3D Printed Warwell... R&R 45t Crane, ICI Hopper, Biomass & others

Was great to finally meet you today Matt, thou you are norty for forgetting the ici hopper lol :) all good thou those black beasts you did bring looked great and your 1st outing of your layout to all good and was good fun to watch, you'll have to put a 37 on next time so i can fot a tractor on freight ;)

Cheers.

Have only recently caught this thread. Your modelling is superb and the 3D products are some of the best I have seen.

I noticed several posts back, some models of the JXA/PXA Sheerness Steel bogie scrap wagons, which looked awesome. Were these one-offs or have you/will you produce these for sale? If so, will you also consider the 102t POA/JXA series Sheerness scrap wagons (as previously made by Appleby)? You would get many orders from me for either or both! Alternatively, would you consider producing Schlieren bogies or bogie sides, to match any attempts at scratch-building the bodies, please?? 

Hello Mike,

Thanks for your kind comments, 

The PXA's are available for sale via I.materialise, and are made to order.

The Sheerness PXA's I am considering, but I am still on the look out for some better drawings of them. If I was to produce these, I would have to produce the Schlieren bogies, but again I don't have any drawings.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Hello Everyone, thanks for your comments about the hoppers, I hope they are worth it after several days spent just adding rivets.

Call me dim, but how does the class 68 clue fit? I get the peaks, but not the 68s.....

One of those clues that seemed a good idea at the time, 

The 'missing link'

Peaks at Derby - Peak District, Derbyshire

Class 68's at Warrington - Cheshire CAT

The hoppers worked from the Limestone quarries in the Peaks to the Plants in Cheshire.

Looks good just need to play with the height to get a Summers, Shotton Iron Ore, of which several ended up with ICI!

Mark Saunders

Provision has already been made for this, the hoppers are currently based on the first and second ICI hopper batches (including the differences between them, letters/bogies etc), but provision has been made for the later built batches and service modifications too such as ladders and drainage hole covers. Some parts for the Summers wagons have already been delivered, but these will follow the PHV's.

Was great to finally meet you today Matt, thou you are norty for forgetting the ici hopper lol :) all good thou those black beasts you did bring looked great and your 1st outing of your layout to all good and was good fun to watch, you'll have to put a 37 on next time so i can fot a tractor on freight ;)

Cheers.

Cheers, yes very daft of me to leave it, glad you enjoyed the first outing of WMRC's Arley Dale, it worked remarkably well (except that controller failure which you saw). There was 1 37/4 present, but my 2 lima DRS 37's need chipping and my Bachmann DRS conversions need the paint stripping and repainting (Oops).

Below are some photos of the Pre-Production kit before assembly and prior to the addition of the laser cut parts, such as the handbrake wheels, deflection plates, internal dividers and bodyside letter, along with optional ladders and extra brake linkage details, hopper release handles, drain hole covers etc) The prototype model has a Prime Grey body, and updated version will be used as a master for resin casting.

The most left hand parts are the self centring coupling mounting points which locate onto the chassis, this is separate for those who wish to use 3 link couplings (a hole in the headstock is provided also)

post-13109-0-22157500-1413990560_thumb.jpg

The buffers and bogies are made in FUD,

post-13109-0-65362500-1413990559_thumb.jpg

Underframe and door detail has also been added, although some of the internal framing has had to be removed near the bogies to allow it to go around corners.

post-13109-0-11330200-1413990561_thumb.jpg

Along with the diamond frame option, the plateframe bogies have also been drawn up with options for their original condition (right) and modified with roller bearings (left).

post-13109-0-65138500-1413990830_thumb.png

Best Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 6

Not Plugging, but Railtec have just released some transfers for the GERS 4400 JNA wagons, I have some scratch built ones and have printed the bodies for a few, just need to print some frames too.

http://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=1616

Thanks for that - every bit helps! There are actually 2 parallel packs (4mm-6163 and 4mm-6164) for those who have longer rakes. Besides all the smaller markings, each pack has 4 different running numbers, and we do add some variety to the data panels for that extra bit of authenticity.

• Like 2

Great pics Matt hopefully not to many months wait till we can get our Hoppers ordered and built :)

Cool on the ASW decals i was gona say Precision Decals but he is very busy and can only supply the data panels at present not the logo's!

Heres some shots from the weekend at Warrington Show of your excellent Peak Forest based layout too :)

Thanks Rich

post-10797-0-38272800-1413991992.jpg

post-10797-0-68451900-1413992014.jpg

post-10797-0-84956100-1413992020.jpg

post-10797-0-59370100-1413992034.jpg

post-10797-0-60755000-1413992044.jpg

post-10797-0-91064600-1413992050.jpg

post-10797-0-90990600-1413992057.jpg

post-10797-0-16473300-1413992065.jpg

post-10797-0-69243400-1413992073.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Mike,

Thanks for your kind comments, 

The PXA's are available for sale via I.materialise, and are made to order.

The Sheerness PXA's I am considering, but I am still on the look out for some better drawings of them. If I was to produce these, I would have to produce the Schlieren bogies, but again I don't have any drawings.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Thanks for that - sorry for the late response but I have been away, without web access.

I have looked at the site and have tried to order a couple, but having problems with their check out process - will try again. I also keep getting a totally black, blank screen on the Wild Boar site, for the bogies and instructions etc. Any problems?

As for the SS PXA's I have some drawings somewhere, but these may not be detailed enough. However I will find and send to you. For the Schlieren bogies, I have no drawings, but Colin Craig does - he was going to produce these in brass but, after several years, never has to my knowledge, so perhaps he would give/sell you the drawings?

Kind regards

Mike

Hi Wild Boar - I am still unable to access the wildboar website to order bogies - all I get is a black, blank screen on the home page - I cannot order the bodies from I.materialise unless I can order the bogies. Is there a problem with your site please??

Hi Wild Boar - I am still unable to access the wildboar website to order bogies - all I get is a black, blank screen on the home page - I cannot order the bodies from I.materialise unless I can order the bogies. Is there a problem with your site please??

Should be working now Mike,

Apologies for the inconvenience, also thanks regarding the SS wagons & Schlieren Bogies.

Cheers,

Wild Boar Fell

Should be working now Mike,

Apologies for the inconvenience, also thanks regarding the SS wagons & Schlieren Bogies.

Cheers,

Wild Boar Fell

Thanks. I have re-visited the InterCity models site, where Pete certainly used to make detailed Schlieren bogies as brass kits, but am getting no response. He was ill a few years ago and I have posted a notice asking if anyone knows whether he is still trading, to avoid making a disruptive call to his family. If he isn't, which would be extremely sad, that would eliminate another supply (Colin Craig's have not appeared) so you may be able obtain Pete's drawings.

Hi Wild Boar Fell, I've used a few of your military wagon kits to good effect and they always attract attention when I'm exhibiting my layout. I'm just finishing off one of your Warwells. From reading the posts above I know you're busy, but there is a gap in the market for the cradle that carries a Warrior AFV on a Warwell. Genesis don't produce them anymore so if you do find a moment... I'd be grateful at least.

Thanks for your work.

Ben.

Thanks. I have re-visited the InterCity models site, where Pete certainly used to make detailed Schlieren bogies as brass kits, but am getting no response. He was ill a few years ago and I have posted a notice asking if anyone knows whether he is still trading, to avoid making a disruptive call to his family. If he isn't, which would be extremely sad, that would eliminate another supply (Colin Craig's have not appeared) so you may be able obtain Pete's drawings.

Appleby Model Engineering used to do them; might be worth checking out.

Thanks - yes, I will try again. I didn't get a response last time I wrote (having checked the new address) several months ago, but maybe it went astray.

J.T was still trading earlier this year thou i've not ordered anything for months now so unsure if he still is? He only does white metal bogies, detailing parts and decals now so if its any of those you need then write to him again and see if he gets back in touch or rings you?

Guest taylorc

J.T was still trading earlier this year thou i've not ordered anything for months now so unsure if he still is? He only does white metal bogies, detailing parts and decals now so if its any of those you need then write to him again and see if he gets back in touch or rings you?

I ordered some decals and white metal parts from him August this year and received them promptly. So he is still trading.

Many thanks to both of you, about Appleby. Incidentally, how did you find out what stock he was still selling before you wrote? is there a list somewhere, or do you just ask in one letter and then order in the next, following his reply? 

If he still has the decals for the old Sheerness Steel wagon kits he used to make (Stupidly I only ever bought one whilst he still made them), I will be after some of those as well as the schlieren bogie kits, if he still does those. I would then hope that Wild Boar will make the 3D bodies, or kit of parts, to save me another several months trying to get them right with plasticard - first attempt was a disaster once I got body shell sides and ends put together - flexed more than Robon Hood's bow, so much re-inforcement needed, which meant it could never run empty, plus the bogies were wrong anyway. 

• Like 1

Many thanks to both of you, about Appleby. Incidentally, how did you find out what stock he was still selling before you wrote? is there a list somewhere, or do you just ask in one letter and then order in the next, following his reply? 

If he still has the decals for the old Sheerness Steel wagon kits he used to make (Stupidly I only ever bought one whilst he still made them), I will be after some of those as well as the schlieren bogie kits, if he still does those. I would then hope that Wild Boar will make the 3D bodies, or kit of parts, to save me another several months trying to get them right with plasticard - first attempt was a disaster once I got body shell sides and ends put together - flexed more than Robon Hood's bow, so much re-inforcement needed, which meant it could never run empty, plus the bogies were wrong anyway. 

Hi Mike, i basically just sent a letter a few years back asking if he was still trading and whats available if so? John then rang me to discuss what bits i'd asked about and also to fill me on whats available, he then sent out 4mm & 7mm brochures for both decals & white metal parts which he does still sell.

I have actually spoke to John the other night and he can send out what he has there ready to go but hes not currently doing any casting or other bits for a while as hes having on going building work done so of course thats geting in the way of doing any bits for now!

Last time i sat with John @ DEMU he had quite a lot of castings at the show and a good range of decals too so you may be ok for the Sheerness PXA / POA bits you need but some other types of bogies were not available, anyway heres his email & address to write to if you let him know what your after i'm sure he'll get back to with a yes or no :)

JOHN TALBOT

10 ST. DUNSTANS CLOSE

BATTENHALL

WORCESTER

WR5 2AJ

Email.....

john@jaatalbot.plus.com

Cheers.

Hi Mike, i basically just sent a letter a few years back asking if he was still trading and whats available if so? John then rang me to discuss what bits i'd asked about and also to fill me on whats available, he then sent out 4mm & 7mm brochures for both decals & white metal parts which he does still sell.

I have actually spoke to John the other night and he can send out what he has there ready to go but hes not currently doing any casting or other bits for a while as hes having on going building work done so of course thats geting in the way of doing any bits for now!

Last time i sat with John @ DEMU he had quite a lot of castings at the show and a good range of decals too so you may be ok for the Sheerness PXA / POA bits you need but some other types of bogies were not available, anyway heres his email & address to write to if you let him know what your after i'm sure he'll get back to with a yes or no :)

JOHN TALBOT

10 ST. DUNSTANS CLOSE

BATTENHALL

WORCESTER

WR5 2AJ

Email.....

john@jaatalbot.plus.com

Cheers.

Many thanks indeed Richard. Having his email address will make a huge difference. I shall get in touch with him pronto.

Mike

• Like 1

Hello Ben,

Cheers for your post, I hadn't realised Genesis had stopped making those ramps/cradles. I have never been able to find enough information on them to do them satisfactorily. I do intend to return to the Warwells at some point as I now have a lot more info to hand, so I shall consider these.

Glad to hear the wagons are generating interest, I have never seen any of my OO gauge designs running on a exhibition layout that I haven't been operating. Can I ask the name of your layout, and if you have any photos please?

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Hi Wild Boar Fell, I've used a few of your military wagon kits to good effect and they always attract attention when I'm exhibiting my layout. I'm just finishing off one of your Warwells. From reading the posts above I know you're busy, but there is a gap in the market for the cradle that carries a Warrior AFV on a Warwell. Genesis don't produce them anymore so if you do find a moment... I'd be grateful at least.

Thanks for your work.

Ben.