3D Printed Warwell... R&R 45t Crane, ICI Hopper, Biomass & others

Just received my order for two Warwells and a ramp wagon. I'm impressed. I presume the somewhat flexible plastic used for the ramp wagon was to allow the level of detail? It does look like it will need a bit of brass angle underneath to deal with the flexibility. The plastic used for the Warwells seems to be suitably rigid.

I won't have them ready to run for the GBTS (Great British Train Show - Brampton, Ontario next weekend) , but I'll certainly show them around and I know of at least one other person who will want some (and Warflats and Rectanks as well).

Adrian

Hello Adrian,

Firstly thank you for your comment, you are correct on the assumption of the use of that material as it would not be possible to achieve it in the same material as the warwells. On running my own ramp wagon the flexing hasn't been a problem when it is on the track/ in tow. The brass may be a sensible option though to add more weight as a fully loaded train of warwells may be pretty heavy. Thank you also for recommending them as well!

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Hi Wild Boar Fell,

First of all I would like to say how fantastic your warwells and ramp wagon are looking. I have been trying to find an OO gauge warwell for quite some time, and having seen the ramp wagons I shall be ordering two of each in the near future.

I just have one question, what if any instructions are provided?

Having read this thread with interest I have seen mention of several extra detailing parts that can be added, such as rivets etc. Are details supplied as to what parts are required to complete, and also what paints / transfers are required? Looking at many of the excellent responses in this thread it is apparent that my search online for inspirational photos has not been as successful as others here.

If anyone can supply further information on painting and detailing these wonderful models to match their WW2 appearance this information would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Jason

Hello Jason,

Firstly thank you for your comments on my models, Unfortunately I am not able to supply instructions with the kit as all production and distribution takes place by shapeways over in the Netherlands. However, for basic completion Ratio 125 diamond frame bogies are required, as well as which ever coupling you desire, for painting I believe that for WW2 examples the livery would either be a bauxite or a grey, (Most likely grey). Then for transfers model master decals do some MOD wagon transfers which may be suitable(sheet 4670 http://www.modelmasterdecals.com/search_result.php), however I have not seen these in reality so I am not certain whether the necessary ones are there. As for the a more detailed finish, then some handbrake wheels are required (wizard models do some in different shapes and sizes so one of about 4mm diameter and 4 spoked would be suitable). As for the rivets I believe there are several makes out there such as http://www.micromark...,9968.html.html but again I have no experience of using these). With the ramp wagon the only real super detailing needed is rivet, (it requires 12-14mm wheels depending on preference).

If anyone has any other relevant information especially concerning liveries please feel free to share it.

Also If anyone has photos of their warwells and ramp wagons, especially when finished I would love to see them.

Hope this is of use to you.

Wild Boar Fell

Edited by Wild Boar Fell

Hello Everyone,

Just a quick update, the prototype Rectanks and Warflats are currently in production and should be with me midweek next week. Please be aware that due to policy changes at shapeways end these two wagons will be made in frosted detail rather than white, strong and flexible. This does mean that these will retail at 25 euros, but it is necessary to allow them to be produced, future models are likely to be in this material which will allow more finer detail than available on the warwell. All going well these two wagons should be for sale from Wednesday.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Further to this posting, The original warwells and ramp wagons are unaffected and remain at there current price, also the prototypes of the Rectanks and Warflats have not yet left Shapeways so it will not be Thursday at the earliest, however I am guessing it will be Friday.

WBF

Edited by Wild Boar Fell

Hi WBF,

Just one further question before I place my order. What radius curves have the warwells, warflats and ramp wagons been designed to negotiate?

Unfortunately due to space constraints I am forced to use "train set" curves on my layout :-(

Thanks again

Jason

Hello Jaspaw,

The warwells and ramp wagons should go round 3rd radius, and I believe they can do 2nd as well, however 1st may be a bit of a push.

Hope this is of use.

On the Rectank and Warflat front, I have today received the samples and can only say I am not impressed with the print quality and regidity of the samples, I had to have them done in frosted detail as apparently they were not produce able in WSF, I will try and see whether they will change there mind so I am sorry but these two may be delayed by a fair while.

Hope you can understand my frustration and apologies to those who are interested in them.

Wild Boar Fell

• RMweb Premium

My experience of FD is that it is too soft for my liking.FUD is better, but costs even more than FD.

What policy change is preventing you using WSF ?

My experience of FD is that it is too soft for my liking.FUD is better, but costs even more than FD.

What policy change is preventing you using WSF ?

Hello, the policy change was that regarding wall thickness's over a certain length, It mean that the buffer heads and the jacks would have to be very over-scale, however I may have found an alternative.

Any Ideas would be of great use.

Wild Boar Fell

Hello Everyone,

Just to let everyone know I've not given up, I have just been very busy recently so updates over the next few weeks may be rare as well.

However shapeways are looking into the rectanks and warflats, also feel free to post photos of your wagons.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

This image appeared on Robert CWP's site today:-

http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream

The Longmoor had an enhanced loading gauge, hence the MBT (Conqueror?) on the Warflat. But what are those bogies?

The wagon is one of the two Tankflats built by Gloucester they were in internal use at Marchwood but I heard they may have been sold to Trackwork at Doncaster.

Mark Saunders

Thanks Brian, Mike and Adrian,

Looks an interesting prototype, anyone got any scale plans?

Here my quick attempt to cobble together something similar, You are correct as well, the tank is a chieftain.

post-13109-0-60494200-1336682662_thumb.jpg

Anyway here's some photos of the test prints of the warflat and rectank, (both rejected so don't worry about the bowing or print quality or the damage to the warflats jack and bogie mounts). Just though you might be interested in these,

post-13109-0-63057800-1336683040_thumb.jpg

Finally here are some photos of my military train for Wild Boar Fell, they are posed on one cassette and the wagons aren't completely finished. Can anyone find a decent excuse for me to be carrying Cromwell tanks in the mid 1960's? (An airfix kit very good build).

post-13109-0-28107500-1336682884_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-72292000-1336682916_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-39901600-1336682948_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-66656600-1336682975_thumb.jpg

Regards

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 1

The Longmoor loading gauge was only "enhanced" in height, not in width, compared to the Southern Region. Basically the roof radius was 6ft 0ins from a centre point height of 7ft 9ins, compared to 5ft 6ins from a centre point height of 7ft 10ins. This is from the diagram in the 1959 edition of the Technical Orders and Working Instructions.

I believe the flat wagons are the experimental ones described in the June 1966 Railway Observer as follows. "One of the prototype tank carrying rail wagons arrived back at Longmoor w/e 12th March for metre-gauge trials, and its suitability for end-on platelaying techniques was also assessed. The two wagons, 502200/1, built by the Gloucester Railway Carriage and Wagon Company (registered B.R. (W) numbers 1 and 2 of 1965) for the Ministry of Defence are a masterpiece of design. The bogies can be changed to give either standard, 3ft. 6in., or metre-gauge, and the wagons are suitable for work on B.R., in Western Europe and on: certain strategic railways in Africa and the Far East."

In The Longmoor Military Railway by D.W. Ronald and R.J. Carter, it says that a metre gauge third rail was laid at Longmoor Downs in 1967 for test purposes.

Tony

The Longmoor loading gauge was only "enhanced" in height, not in width, compared to the Southern Region. Basically the roof radius was 6ft 0ins from a centre point height of 7ft 9ins, compared to 5ft 6ins from a centre point height of 7ft 10ins. This is from the diagram in the 1959 edition of the Technical Orders and Working Instructions.

I believe the flat wagons are the experimental ones described in the June 1966 Railway Observer as follows. "One of the prototype tank carrying rail wagons arrived back at Longmoor w/e 12th March for metre-gauge trials, and its suitability for end-on platelaying techniques was also assessed. The two wagons, 502200/1, built by the Gloucester Railway Carriage and Wagon Company (registered B.R. (W) numbers 1 and 2 of 1965) for the Ministry of Defence are a masterpiece of design. The bogies can be changed to give either standard, 3ft. 6in., or metre-gauge, and the wagons are suitable for work on B.R., in Western Europe and on: certain strategic railways in Africa and the Far East."

In The Longmoor Military Railway by D.W. Ronald and R.J. Carter, it says that a metre gauge third rail was laid at Longmoor Downs in 1967 for test purposes.

Tony

Thanks for that, Tony- the design of the wagon floor reminded me of the batch of BAOR Warflats which were brought back through the Channel Tunnel in the 1990s, which were out-of-gauge at floor level (not so much 'Mind the Gap' as 'Mind the Platform'). I wonder why they didn't build further wagons to this design?