3D Printed Warwell... R&R 45t Crane, ICI Hopper, Biomass & others

Thanks for that Brian, great I have some bauxite paint but not the correct grey. Also thanks for that excuse, what would they run with, or were they just mixed in with general freight?

Regards

Wild Boar Fell

They'd just run in a normal Class 7 or 8 freight; the Morriston branch trip from Landore to Swansea (Eastern Depot), then staged to Margam, then Severn Tunnel Junction, whence there was a through working to Carlisle. There's a photo of one in one of the David Larkin albums published by Bradford Barton in the 1970s (Pre-Nationalisation Freight Stock on British Railways); though Larkin suggests the wagon was used for coil, it was one of the fleet used for ingot moulds.

Hello Everyone,

Good news, I have today received the wheels and after checking I have decided the 80t warwells are ready for sale. Therefore they are now available for sale on my store front at http://www.shapeways.com/shops/wildboarmodels Please note that these wagons require 6x Romford 10.5mm disc wheels, and the axleboxes need opening up with a 2mm drill to allow the wagon to roll more freely.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Hello,

Here is my latest work, these are the bogie side frames of the Gloucester GP22.5's these are to be used in my kits of the modern warwells and warflats, they are going to consist of a sub assembly of WSF and these faces in FUD, these will be sold as a separate item with the buffers and jacks. This has been necessary due to rue changes at shapeways end, however it will allow more accurate buffers and jacks as well as making them finer.

Any feedback on these bogies would be great.

post-13109-0-08287200-1338415082_thumb.png

post-13109-0-13836100-1338415086_thumb.png

Many thanks to Ben A for kind use of his drawings without which these wouldn't have been made.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• RMweb Gold

Hi WBF

I would look at how Guy has done the BSC Axlemotion bogies in this thread: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/52075-scratch-built-yeoman-arc-bsc-pta-tipplers/

Ie print the "outer" of the bogie all in FUD with proper springs as on the real things the springs are pretty obvious eg: http://www.garethbayer.co.uk/wotw/wp-content/gallery/great-britain-details/moda95281_gps22.jpg

Cheers, Mike

Hi,

Thanks Mike those bogie's look excellent, don't think I could match them, I hear what you say, however it is not very easy to produce such shapes in sketch up, which is what I use, I have tried to add some relief using the layers though, I may have these test printed to see what they look like, and if necessary modify them.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• RMweb Gold

I haven't used Sketchup so I don't know what functions it has, but you could try Blender (which is what Guy and I use). The coils of the spring are spirals/helixes and relatively easy to do. The bogies look complex, but like everything in 3D modelling it is just a case of building up details from simple shapes.

I am not sure where you live (with a user name like your's possibly the Eastern edges of Cumbria!), but if you can get to our show on Sat or Sun Guy will be demoing Blender design (2-4pm each day): http://www.demu.org.uk/showcase.php

Cheers, Mike

Hello,

Thanks again Mike, I have tried Blender briefly but cannot get use to it yet, however its something I wish to try. Also thanks about DEMU however I don't think I could make it, but heard there would be some 3D items there. Wild Boar Fell by the way is the name of my layout, taking its name from a Cumbrian mountain. However I have made some changes to my design and made the whole thing one piece with greater relief and what I believe is a more accurate representation of the bogies.

Here's some pics

post-13109-0-45104500-1338483345_thumb.png

post-13109-0-61912100-1338483352_thumb.png

post-13109-0-91235800-1338483356_thumb.png

Please anyone let me know what you think, any feedback would be much appreciated and I shall see what I can do.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Hello Southernman,

Thanks these bogies are going to be sold in pack with the buffers and jacks as they are a different material to the bodies so will be available without having to purchase the whole wagons. Do you have any photos of those wagons, just for interest.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Hello Southernman,

Thanks these bogies are going to be sold in pack with the buffers and jacks as they are a different material to the bodies so will be available without having to purchase the whole wagons. Do you have any photos of those wagons, just for interest.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Hi WBF,

These are the fellas, the Gloucester GP warwell bogies aren't quite the same but they're certainly close enough for me...........

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/sheernesssteelpxa

• RMweb Gold

Hi WBF,

These are the fellas, the Gloucester GP warwell bogies aren't quite the same but they're certainly close enough for me...........

http://paulbartlett....eernesssteelpxa

Hi Southernman

The bogies on the Sheerness Steel PXAs are Schlieren bogies which are quite different. You can Schlierens from Colin Craig, Intercity Models (?) and Appleby.

Cheers, Mike

Hi WBF,

If your still looking for an excuse to load Cromwells onto your warwells, there was two depots in Belgium that kept a lot of older armoured vehicle. After the Cromwells went out of service with the TA, some were shipped back to UK, they were up gunned and a lot of other things and they became Charioteers. The govmt at the time flogged them to a number of countries, Jordon and Austria spring to mind, there were other places too. They would have come into the country at the Miliary port Marchwood, near Soton, and transported to various Royal Ordnance Factories. Hope that's of use.

Got my order from Shapways, huge box for 2 ramp wagons and 4 warwells, excellent products, keep up the good work

Cheers

Hello Everyone,

Here are the latest renders for the Post 2003 Warwells, Also I shall be placing an order with Shapeways in the next few days and this should contain a few previously announced products in their latest forms as well as an unannounced product, I shall keep you posted with their progress.

I the mean time, does anyone have any diagrams of the modern warflats or any basic dimensions other that the loading diagrams, as I am struggling with this one.

Thanks in advance,

Wild Boar Fell

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Apologies for the lack of updates recently but I have been busy doing other work.

However I have managed to get my 80t Warwell painted, It just needs numbering and weathering now, (and me to finish the layout its to run on).

post-13109-0-00291000-1339535851_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-12737100-1339535889_thumb.jpg

Please let me know what you think.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone.

Just a quick message to say that my next batch of prints are due for delivery next week from shapeways, this includes the ramp wagon diorama (with folded buffers and removable axle). The Rectanks and Warflats should follow a week or so later as these are coming from i materialise rather than shapeways.

Hope to post some photos when they arrive, also found I am mentioned in Railway Modeller this month as well.

But now back to building some airfix Saracens for my rake.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Hello Everyone,

Thanks Chris, maybe sometime. Just received my latest batch this week, including the ramp wagon diorama however this was a little battered and bent, but I shall try fixing it shortly. Also of note is the RECTANK and Warflat's should be due in about a weeks time from Imaterialise. Can someone with experience of prime grey please tell me whether you can get away with details and wall thickness's below the recommended minimum? Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Hello again,

Sorry about the lack of updates recently but I have been very busy with other commitments, however some good news is the RECTANK and Warflat are due to arrive with me this week, so I shall hopefully post photos of these when I can. These are the first items I have had produced by Imateralise so I am interested in seeing what the quality will be like.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell