3D Printed Warwell... R&R 45t Crane, ICI Hopper, Biomass & others

Hi Mark,

Thanks again for that help.

Here is another thing I have started work on today, can you guess what it is?

post-13109-0-87731500-1348171284_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-70921300-1348171288_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-27552700-1348171295_thumb.jpg

Feedback on this would be very useful as I am working from drawings and a few general dimensions,

Please note the locking bars are still to be done, plus the locating boxes.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Hello everyone,

You are correct Ian, they are the MOD 20ft containers, they have now had the locking bars and locating boxes added and I think they are done (but please let me know if I have missed anything). So here are some renders,

(colours for visualisation only)

post-13109-0-28860800-1348253331_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-39852400-1348253337_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-87574700-1348253342_thumb.jpg

Finally one posed on the PFA flat,

post-13109-0-02495900-1348253350_thumb.jpg

Enjoy,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

Apologies about the lack of updates recently, but I have been very busy again!

However I currently have 4 items on order from i.materialise which include the Parrot wagon kit, the MOD 20ft Side loading containers and the ASW Bogie hoppers.

All being well these should arrive the week after the Warrington Show.

Once these are out of the way I will look at the next batch of wagons, (The FFA and FGA flats are a long term project)

So I once again welcome suggestions for future projects preferably something for the 1960 and 1990+ brackets (If possible something I can find plans for).

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Wild Boar, these all look amazing, I have read this thread with great interest.

I am looking to get into 3D printing to create some bits and pieces for my 009 collection. It all seems easy enough in theory but I'm just a little weary in practise with them, how long did it take from starting up Sketchup to actually having a created design? I have done a lot of building for OpenBVE using the meshbuilding programs for that, but don't know whether this would be the same sort of idea...?

Regards

Tom

• Like 1

Tom,

Sketchup is very easy to get started with and you will see many great examples on this group, also there is an amazing amount of info and tutorials out on the web. Just start with small simple shapes and build up from that. You should find in a couple of weeks you will be comfortable using the app. Fun starts when you start trying complex curves etc..

Regards

T.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

My latest order has turned up a few days early (It should have arrived next Monday), and so the first samples of some new items have appeared on my desk, please let me know what you think.

20ft Container

post-13109-0-45359500-1350494299_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-47791700-1350494372_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-86527700-1350504469_thumb.jpg

Please note not all detail is clearly visible in the photo, however I am relatively happy with the print, it is very smooth and doesn't show any layering, but I think the locking bars need to be deeper to add relief as they seem too flat (or would people prefer this so they can use them as a guide to fit separate one if they wish to?) As the photos show the boxes locate onto the pins on the PFA, the boxes also have plenty of weight as they are very thick sides about 4mm, if people are happy with what they see please let me know and I will make them available, if not I will change the locking bars as suggested and reprint.

Parrot

post-13109-0-47761700-1350504925_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-92996700-1350504943_thumb.jpg

The parrot in my opinion has turned out very well, and I am very happy with the design and print quality, however I have discovered that beams that link the floor together are slightly too thin to print and had all broken, so this will be fixed for the final version, and one headstock had cracked so these will also be thickened. The wagon is now being assembled to test the construction and strength before the final design is printed.

Fragmentiser Bogie box

post-13109-0-78532100-1350505287_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-92445900-1350505393_thumb.jpg

I am very happy with the quality of this print of the bogie box, its is very strong and fairly solid, it features the new more detailed under frames as well which have worked except for one of the smallest tie pieces (a similar problem to the parrot). The hopper sides are very smooth, and I reckon that once it has had a coat of primer it won't need any rubbing down! Items to be changed before production are thickening the buffers as these hadn't all printed fully, and finalising the location of the body side ribs.

These items have really boosted my confidence in I.materialise as their print quality of these items seems very high. Also their standard of packing (a cause I believe of a few of my shapeways problems) is exceptional with many layers of bubble rap and foam and specifically cut pieces of foam to protect the sides of the hopper and the inside of the parrot.

Comments welcomed,

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Edited by Wild Boar Fell
  • Like 2

Yes - (although the wagons were converted before my time in Electrification) this was basically

adding spindle support steelwork on the top of the sides.

solid plates in the well under the cable drum spindle locations and on end platforms.

handrails around the sides & ends.

possibly vacuum piping (this may have been done before cable conversion)

Thank again Southernman,

I am considering doing the cable wagon at a later date so that is very useful to me,

attached are some photos of the wagons now they are primed, the parrot has had some plastic card strips added to replace the parts that didn't print (more have been added since the photo). The next print should have the correct arrangement of these parts but thicker to print properly.

post-13109-0-36020200-1350593161_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-16727300-1350593175_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-78338900-1350593187_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-37129800-1350593456_thumb.jpg

Any comments regarding these would be greatly appreciated, especially the container as I am considering thickening the detail.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 2

The Parrot is particularly impressive and shows the advantage of 3D printing well.You wouldn't want to scratch build a rake of these!

Not that hard when you put your mind to it (this is 1 of 6) although mine are cable-layers and I can "cover up" all that framing on the end platforms - WBF's printed one are much better IMHO

post-5198-0-23798600-1350680578_thumb.jpg

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 1

Hi WBF,

Like the MoD 20ft container, but agree that the locking bars have come out too shallow. I think that if you make these deeper, they'll appear too solid and look like 'moulded' items. Much better to use them as guides for overlaying separate locking bars (available from C-Rail or make your own). I'd certainly be interested in a few of these, not just for PFAs, but to fit 3 at a time on Hornby KFAs as well.

Jon

Hello Everyone,

Firstly thanks for that Jon.

The Side loader container body has now been uploaded to my website for sale, but please note this is the one as per the test print above with low relief locking bars, rather than the full depth one to be released later, they can be found through my site,

http://www.wildboarmodels.co.uk/

Hopefully some more progress on current and future projects soon!

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Hello Everyone,

No progress to mention, just mentioning that Shapeways server is currently down due Hurricane Sandy, so nothing can be uploaded, bought or sold via them at the minute.

I will post again when everything is up and running again. (I guess however that production in the Netherlands is unaffected, but unfortunately the server is US based)

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Hello,

Not really any physical progress on the design front, however I have got around to painting the PFA and 20ft container (Low relief detail variant), the detail has been picked out with jel pens hence the slightly squiggly nature. The "weathering" at the top is also a smudge.

post-13109-0-50159400-1351980979_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-79049500-1351980995_thumb.jpg

The next prototypes will hopefully be ordered this week,

EDIT: Prototypes now ordered 04/11

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Edited by Wild Boar Fell

Firstly Thanks David (I need to varnish it soon),

Secondly to contradict a previous post, and due to several expressions of interest, I have decided to restart the ramp wagon project and I will shortly be ordering an updated prototype for evaluation, these modifications should hopefully prevent damage to the wagons, and address/ prevent the problems that occurred with only a few ramp wagons from the first batch. These wagons will once again use Shapeways and FUD, but will use valuable experience gained from the previous project. The main changes include the thickening of the under frame details to increase strength and 'printability', as well as a support frame attached to the underside of the wagon to hopefully prevent transit/ handling damage, this will be able to be removed using careful cutting.

I hope people understand the changes,

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell