R3067 Class 31 Diesel Electric Locomotive 31256 - Railroad Range

TW

I just had a look at ehattons.com and found that the R3067 class 31 is described as not DCC ready. For me this is a deal breaker. So if someone buys one and finds out different - please tell us!

Thomas

From ModelRailwaysDirect's site:

Digital DCC Ready - locomotive has a 8 Pin Decoder Socket to accept locomotive decoder (not included). Locomotive is suitable for traditional DC operation.

You should have a look on Hornby's website or in the catalogue to be sure, I reckon.

I have been waiting for this release for ages, in anticipation of being able to produce a relatively quick and easy 'late 60s/early 70s example. An email today saying it was due imminently led to a search for pics to confirm bodyside steps are in place, and the Hattons site duly obliged.

Something didn't look quite right however - first off it has post 1980s style welded up headcodes, then I noticed the bufferbeam valances are missing. Also the handrails on the cab ends now look like poor moulded ones (weren't they a separate item when Lima produced them?)

All in all it looks like a curious mish mash of several Lima tooling styles in an incorrect combination never seen before. Has anyone seen one in the flesh and can confirm the above?

Edit - just seen the postings on this in the Railroad Warship thread, seems I'm not the only one to think something is amiss!

The only separate handrails on the Lima release were the cab door ones. It is odd that they have released an example with plated headcodes and bodyside steps/boiler exhaust.

Perhaps they should have gone the whole hog and put a headlight on there.

EDIT: After some consideration, it is what it is - a Railroad range product. Possibly aimed at those that might not know the difference.

EDIT: After some consideration, it is what it is - a Railroad range product. Possibly aimed at those that might not know the difference.

The strange thing is I don't think Lima ever released a version with this combination of mismatched features.

• RMweb Premium

I just had a look at ehattons.com and found that the R3067 class 31 is described as not DCC ready. For me this is a deal breaker. So if someone buys one and finds out different - please tell us!

Thomas

Hattons may be going by the box. Normally Hornby puts "DCC Ready" on the box if it is, even for Railroad models. The boxes for both the Class 31 and Warship don't say DCC Ready, so maybe Hattons are assuming not without opening and removing the loco body to check.

Definately worth checking first if they're supposed to be...

• RMweb Premium

Mine just arrived as well. Initial once over brings interesting news:

Pick ups on all wheels except middkle axle of motor bogie,

NEM pockets.

Handrails already fitted but moulded in black for some strange reason.

Camera being warmed up as I type but first I need a bit of breakfast - back soon!

• RMweb Premium

All right, breakfast has been consumed, the camera wheeled out and the following is the result:

Out of the box we have no seperate bits, just the paperwork. The nice thick sheet of clear plastic that Hornby use to protect the model in transit looks very useful and has been put to one side already for future use!!

post-6910-0-44396700-1327576108_thumb.jpg

General view showing the non boiler steps access side. Overall we have a good paint finish here (all be it just two colours) with the only other decoration being the double arrow and the slightly incorrectly placed numbers.

post-6910-0-02576600-1327576195_thumb.jpg

It is at the Number One end that things get interesting. It is clear Hornby have used a rather random selection of mould option plugs for this model (unless of course there is one in preservation like this!!) where we have the boiler access steps and mid levely bodyside band of the original locos married to the shrouldless buffer bean, sealed headcode box with marker lights and rivetted up cab front door of refurbished versions!!

The ending abruptly of the mid level bodyside band in particular looks most odd as seen above on the close up of the cab end.

post-6910-0-85567600-1327576403_thumb.jpg

post-6910-0-80866800-1327576423.jpg

General view of the roof (again nice crisp moulding, reflecting what was in my opinion one of Lima's best bodyshell moulds) and a comparison with my Lima 31970 which shows the Limby model has the first generation exhaust ports - I don't even recall Lima making any like this!!

Lifting the lid reveals one thing they forgot to mention:

post-6910-0-10409700-1327576523_thumb.jpg

8 Pin DCC Socket with lots of room in there to do whatever you like with it!

post-6910-0-30489500-1327576571_thumb.jpg

post-6910-0-08177200-1327576585_thumb.jpg

Couple views of the chassis, fairly standard but nicely put together fare here. Improvements see power pickups on all wheels except the middle axle of the motor bogie plus moulded on NEM pockets on the bogie frames. :ok:

Side by side with the Lima Pancake version:

post-6910-0-87836500-1327576709_thumb.jpg

And finally what I bought the model for. A new chassis for my BR Research liveried 31970:

post-6910-0-09308300-1327576775_thumb.jpg

I can confirm that the bodyshell is a straight swap and just clips straight onto the new Railroad chassis. I suspect there will be quite a few Lima Class 31's receiving simliar treatment in the coming months!

Overall as a nice simple basic model it lives up to the job, the clash of body details is utterly bizzare though and hopefully Hornby can address this when they run off another batch. These are going to sell pretty well I think.

Now, what the heck do I do with an old Lima Class 31 chassis and a Railroad 31 bodyshell?!? :scratchhead:

Lima did produce versions with original exhaust ports, I have several. The green, electric blue (or whatever shade it was) and the ochre ones definately have them and I think I also have an unrefurbished BR blue one with them.

Re what to do with the bits that are left I think EBay will soon be flooded with them.

One question I don't think you mentioned, does it have traction tyres?

• RMweb Premium

Ah yes, forgot about that. Traction tyres fitted to diagonally opposite corners of the motor bogie:

post-6910-0-56408200-1327579081_thumb.jpg

Also shows the NEM sockets moulded to the bogie frame at the same time.

Had a thought for the left overs, a scrapper with sheeted over cab ends, I am sure there is a pic somewhere of one at Crewe or Swindon like that!!

the clash of body details is utterly bizzare though

So we have a Mirlees bodyshell with refurbed ends.

A deliberate step so it doesn't affect sales of the high end 31 or simply the "we need a blue diesel" approach.

It's a thought Stu, but then as far as bodyside banding goes, the 'high end' one isnt particularly convincing IMO, not in blue anyway. I'm still inclined to suspect cockup over conspiracy though.

Overall as a nice simple basic model it lives up to the job, the clash of body details is utterly bizzare though and hopefully Hornby can address this when they run off another batch. These are going to sell pretty well I think.

I think you could be right John, if so it would prove a point made in the thread for the unit that dare not speak its name - that even Frankensteins like this will sell, but at the right price.

I have 5 lima 31s and I used the old toothpaste on the cogs routine and they all run very well and suprisingly quiet. As they had extra picups on the trailing bogie as standard, and its so easy to make the middle axle of the trailing bogie pickup too, I don't see much point in me buying these for the chassis. I recon the body has been built the way it has to stop people like us buying it in prefernance to the poorer shaped superdetail one.

There is no excuse that the model should have turned out like this. This is a complete mismatch of era's and general knowledge of the subject.

I have been very forthright with Hornby over the past few years regarding their intentions with their class 31's in both the Railroad range and the current super detailed range. I am now not convinced that they listen to the people that are passionate enough to spend the time trying to help them produce a first class accurate model. Lima had got it right in this respect and now this present re-incarnation is absolutely unbelievable.

I have grave doubts about the newly announced 2012 release of the green Brush Type 2 in their catalogue, purely because the running number they have chosen does not match up to any tooling they have already produced. I have alerted them to this fact and have been assured that they have the correct tooling. As I have not seen this yet in any form I will just say that the chosen model D5657 was one of a batch of fifteen locomotives that were uprated to 1600 hp as built and had modifications to the roof area that would make the current tooling unacceptable to the would be purchaser. However I am assured that the model will be as per prototype, and if it is then I will be surprised, but I am sure that the intention was just to introduce another green Brush Type 2 using the tooling from R2672 that represented the majority of the 200 odd locos to this specification rather than just represent the fifteen that is represented by R3144 in the new catalogue. Their Network Rail model of 31233 illustrates this point as it was formerly D5660, which was also one of this batch of 15, and has the wrong roof detail.

I sincerely think that the majority of people who are brave enough to take the time to encourage manufacturers to produce an accurate model should be able to expect a reasonable representation of the prototype. There are now enough photographs out there on web sites and forums which can illustrate these various points and most of them are free, mine are!....... so can we pay more attention please!

There is no excuse that the model should have turned out like this. This is a complete mismatch of era's and general knowledge of the subject.

I have been very forthright with Hornby over the past few years regarding their intentions with their class 31's in both the Railroad range and the current super detailed range. I am now not convinced that they listen to the people that are passionate enough to spend the time trying to help them produce a first class accurate model. Lima had got it right in this respect and now this present re-incarnation is absolutely unbelievable.

I have grave doubts about the newly announced 2012 release of the green Brush Type 2 in their catalogue, purely because the running number they have chosen does not match up to any tooling they have already produced. I have alerted them to this fact and have been assured that they have the correct tooling. As I have not seen this yet in any form I will just say that the chosen model D5657 was one of a batch of fifteen locomotives that were uprated to 1600 hp as built and had modifications to the roof area that would make the current tooling unacceptable to the would be purchaser. However I am assured that the model will be as per prototype, and if it is then I will be surprised, but I am sure that the intention was just to introduce another green Brush Type 2 using the tooling from R2672 that represented the majority of the 200 odd locos to this specification rather than just represent the fifteen that is represented by R3144 in the new catalogue. Their Network Rail model of 31233 illustrates this point as it was formerly D5660, which was also one of this batch of 15, and has the wrong roof detail.

I'd almost put money on them getting the roof wrong for D5657. Time will tell!

I sincerely think that the majority of people who are brave enough to take the time to encourage manufacturers to produce an accurate model should be able to expect a reasonable representation of the prototype. There are now enough photographs out there on web sites and forums which can illustrate these various points and most of them are free, mine are!....... so can we pay more attention please!

How many people will actually be aware of this?????

• RMweb Gold

Well I was, and a few more reading this thread now. I completely agree with Graham. Basic research and customer feedback always helps a companies credibility in the model railway marketplace.

I probably will buy a couple of these for my Lima detailing projects, but I have concerns over the haulage capacity of these RR chassis. The only locos I possess that struggle to negotiate my helix are my Limby 40s, my Heljan and Bachmann locos fly up with 25 wagon plus trains, the 40s struggle light engine! Could anyone that has one of these new 31s road test them on inclines?

Neil

It's a bit hard to respond to this, as you've quoted every part of Grahame's post and only added the merest of comments yourself. But as for the Railroad model that's the subject of the thread, anyone with the most rudimentary knowledge of 31s would know that the bodyside banding didnt suddenly vanish at the cab corners, it stands out like the proverbial sore thumb.

Is that it, or did you have some other point?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived