Scotrail Mk2s

Sulzer

Hello,

I'm wanting to build up a push-pull rake of BR Scotrail Mk2s and was just wondering if Bachmann have produced any Scotrail coaches in the past, present or future. Any help will be greatly appreciated. :)

I'm going to buy the DC Kits DBSO kit once I know the coaches are available.

Thanks,

Calum.

Calum,

I presume you're talking about the Scotrail version of the Intercity colours with blue stripe(aka Provincial Scotrail)?

Lima did produce both the Mk 2 and Mk 3 versions many years ago, and a trawl on Ebay will hopefully find you some. Naturally the paintjob isn't up to 2012 standards, but for my purposes (I have two rakes - Mk 2 and Mk 3) they do the job.

Replica Railways also do a Mk 1 BG in Scotrail colours.

The "standard" push pull set was usually made up of Mk3 coaches. As others have said, Lima did their Mk3 in Scotrail - OK model if you upgrade the glazing. You would need a composite 1st coach and then 3-4 2nd opens to complete a set. They do turn up on ebay occasionally but not cheaply and given their age now, hard to find good ones. Hornby did do a version of their early Mk3 in Scotrail but it was one of the "shorties" - i.e. way under scale in length. In my opinion too their "shortie" Mk3s never had a convincing paint finish either looking very plasticky. Just to be clear, the current Hornby Mk3 IS the right scale length and is much better than the shortie in every area - however I don't believe it has ever been released in Scotrail livery (an option might be to get some Intercity ones and change the stripe with transfers although I am not convinced of the lower bodyside colour Hornby use).

Some air con Mk2s did seem to find their way into push pull rakes but I have never been clear how many were about like this. Some Mk3 rakes had an interloping aircon Mk2 in the make-up and I have definately seen photos of a whole rake of Mk2 aircons in a push-pull set. Not clear how common this was tho. I also don't know whether these were Mk2D, E or Fs. Hornby make an OK model of the D although I don't believe ever released in Scotrail (they did do Intercity and could change colour of stripe again...). Lima did the F (sometimes dressed as an E) and did release in Scotrail as part of a set and individually. I have never managed to get my hands on a TSO but have seen a few FOs turn up occasionally and own one myself. Again OK model but like the Lima Mk3 is crying out for flush glazing.

It is also true that some early Mk2s found their way into Scotrail liveried push-pull sets in the normal Scotrail livery. As above not sure how common but have definately seen photos of early Mk2s in the consist of a rake of Mk3s and think I have seen a shot of a full rake of early Mk2s on the HML of all places in Scotrail livery (believe an excursion using push pull set on the weekend). Now I am not sure whether these were Mk2z, A, B or Cs... Bachmann does a decent model of the 2z and 2A but not yet in Scotrail livery. Kernow Model Rail Centre announced a Scotrail version of the 2A which caused a flutter of sxcitement here until I realised it was in blue/grey with Scotrail writing - these may still be available. For 2Bs and 2Cs there is not really a modern model available - I'm no expert in this area but believe Hornby might have done one and Lima the other in the past. I have seen Lima ones in swap meets in Scotrail colours but not a model that would look right alongside more modern releases in my opinion - and I'm not even clear if these were Lima releases or someone's respray.

A BG was included in the push-pull rakes used on the Aberdeen service (not normally on the G to E service as far as I know). As mentioned already Replica did this in Scotrail which is an OK model and can be picked up for reasonable money (Replica still sell the bodies at shows). Alternative here would be to pick up a cheap Bach Intercity version and change the stripe or possibly a Regional one and change upper body colour - I have both in my works awaiting attention to see which comes out better.

DC Kits Mk2 DBSO is a decent model by the way - easy to build and most of the effort goes into painting and decorating. If this is a problem then I think its Silver Fox that are selling DC Kits DBSOs in RTR format.

HTH,

M

The last remaining ex EGMKII coaches that Scotrail retained, used with a DBSO on both the Aberdeen/Glasgow services and a service that ran to Inverness. These were mixed rakes with MKIIds.

What is a MKIIZ?, as a railway man of 37 years, MKIIs have always been referred to as MKII, A,B,C,D,E,F, the Z code is a new fangled thing that was only applied as part of the CARKIND coding. They couldn't use A as it was already in use so Z was selected

Al Taylor

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

I am reliably informed that there will be MK11 in Scotrail available next year.

Hopefully this will be confirmed and made public at Modelrail Glasgow in a few weeks time.

At present - that's all I am able to say.

But I'm happy that they will be available!

Thanks

The last remaining ex EGMKII coaches that Scotrail retained, used with a DBSO on both the Aberdeen/Glasgow services and a service that ran to Inverness. These were mixed rakes with MKIIds.

What is a MKIIZ?, as a railway man of 37 years, MKIIs have always been referred to as MKII, A,B,C,D,E,F, the Z code is a new fangled thing that was only applied as part of the CARKIND coding. They couldn't use A as it was already in use so Z was selected

Al Taylor

Crikey Al - the 2z coding came in around 85 with LVRS, so it isn't exactly new.... Everyone assumes

you're talking about a Mk2 whenever it comes up.

Only one full original E&G Push-Pull sets was retained initially by the ScR. It did run for a while in it's original format plus of course the DBSO. The remaining sets were transferred away, with the once unique two-stage braking isolated...

Further to Matt's post the Glasgow to Aberdeen and return workings were push-pull from May 1985. Two of the diagrams used Mk3 stock with the DBSO, all the others used the coaches from a pool of twelve Mk2D TSO, five Mk2Z TSO, seven Mk2DTSOT, four Mk2E FO, one Mk2F FO and two Mk2A FK based at Edinburgh Craigentinny. From May 1986 the Edinburgh to Aberdeen loco hauled services also went to push-pull. All the Craigentinny stock was repainted ScotRail except for one of Mk2D TSOT and the two Mk2A FKs. As mentioned by Matt the services from 1985 to 1986 also included a BG in the formation.

From 1986 to 1990 there were four diagrams for the Aberdeen Mk2 push-pulls:

two sets of six coaches: Mk2Z TSO, 2 MK2D TSO, Mk 2D TSOT, Mk2 air con FO, Mk 2F DBSO

and

two sets of five coaches: 2 MK2D TSO, Mk 2D TSOT, Mk2 air con FO, Mk 2F DBSO

originally the six car sets were used from Edinburgh and back and the five car sets from Glasgow and back but from 1987 the diagrams were changed so that the destination swapped on some services at Aberdeen:

diagram 1 (five car)

1A41 01.10 from Perth to Aberdeen arr 03.16 - 1T10 07.00 Aberdeen to Glasgow Q.S

1A59 11.25 from Glasgow Q.S to Aberdeen arr 14.13 - 1T32 15.05 Aberdeen to Glasgow Q.S

1A71 19.25 from Glasgow Q.S to Aberdeen arr 22.13 - 1L32 22.35 Aberdeen to Perth

diagram 2 (six car)

1T06 05.25 Aberdeen to Glasgow Q.S

1A57 09.25 from Glasgow Q.S to Aberdeen arr 12.13 - 1B32 12.40 Aberdeen to Edinburgh

1A65 16.55 from Edinburgh to Aberdeen arr 19.40 - 1B42 20.30 Aberdeen to Edinburgh

diagram 3 (five car)

5A43 04.45 ECS Craigentinny to Perth

1A43 06.25 Perth to Dyce - 1T14 08.45 Dyce to Glasgow Q.S

1A61 13.25 from Glasgow Q.S to Aberdeen arr 16.13 - 1T38 17.05 Aberdeen to Glasgow Q.S

1L51 20.25 from Glasgow Q.S to Dundee arr 21.52 - 5L51 23.10 ECS Dundee to Craigentinny

diagram 4 (six car)

1A55 08.30 from Edinburgh to Aberdeen arr 11.16 - 1T26 13.05 Aberdeen to Glasgow Q.S

1A67 17.25 from Glasgow Q.S to Aberdeen

Some pics and links

First, pics

47714, then unnamed, approaches Markinch with an Edinburgh to Aberdeen service. DBSO + Mk2a in b/g and S/R + Mk2D b/g + mk1 b/g. 17/3/1985

post-3695-0-71643300-1327618324_thumb.jpg

Mk3's behind 47715 at Perth - October 1985

post-3695-0-34430200-1327619313_thumb.jpg

Of course you dont need to use a 47/7

post-3695-0-48269600-1327619323_thumb.jpg

Links

Mk2d pure Scotrail or mixed with blue/grey

http://brucegalloway...f19a5#h1dc58a9d

http://brucegalloway...f19a5#h2f230609

http://brucegalloway...f19a5#h255d2878

Bruce

Hi all,

I am reliably informed that there will be MK11 in Scotrail available next year.

Hopefully this will be confirmed and made public at Modelrail Glasgow in a few weeks time.

At present - that's all I am able to say.

But I'm happy that they will be available!

Thanks

Go on, give us a clue! Are they air-con / non-air-con, Hornby... Bachmann :no:

Archived