Should I build N gauge cassettes to 2mm fs standards for later use?

Black Sheep

I've just started a thread asking how to build my cassettes for my N gauge layout and how to keep the gauge consistent along the length, that topic can be found here, http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/51044-how-do-i-build-cassettes-for-n-gauage/ and any advice would be most welcome,

the question I am wanting to ask here however, is, despite planning on finishing this layout using standard Peco N gauge track, I intend to start looking at building loco kits and chassis with a view to building my next layout in 2mm.

as such, it may make sense to build cassettes now that will be usable on future layouts.

is this a bad idea due to the differences in gauge or will it not affect things?

what distance apart should my 'rails' be if I go down this route?

thanks

• RMweb Premium

is this a bad idea due to the differences in gauge or will it not affect things?

n gauge stock will run quite happily on 2mm gauge track (flange depth excepted on some models) where as 2mm stock can have problems on n gauge track

• RMweb Gold

Not withstanding comments on your other cassette thread I would build them to 2mmFS standards using the point crossing nose spacers.

On my Kyle project, the cassettes are 2mmFS spaced and N gauge 'out of the box' stock runs without problem on them and will do so on the Easitrac section too...its just when the stock gets to the turnout, the fun begins :O

• RMweb Gold

A word of caution - provided the N gauge stock has reasonably wide treads you'll be OK. I have a 4ft plank with aluminium angle set to 9.42mm gauge for test running 2mm stock. Some of my American N stock with finescale wheels falls into the gap between the ally angle, because the wheel treads are not quite wide enough to span 9.42mm safely.

You also need to arrange a smooth transition from the cassettes to the layout track. I'd suggest laying some PCB track to 9.42 which narrows down over an inch or so to 9mm.

If I were building dual standard cassettes, I'd narrow the gauge down from 9.42mm to the point where it would still allow 2mm stock to run. This will be OK because you're not (I assume!) running round curves on the cassettes.

Mark

Archived