Bachmann Speculation for 2012

newbryford

Stationmaster said :

.......why does somebody buy a particular type of loco and in that respect i wouldn't mind betting there is a slice of the market which would happily grab the first outside frame GW loco to come along and be content with it. At the other end there are idiots like me who even if it is totally out of period might find a 'Bulldog' and a 'Duke' as nice to own as a 'Dukedog'.

What it comes down to I suppose is how the market splits between these different kinds of buyers?

An editor pointed out that folk will buy anything that appeals to them, so you are not alone in fancying a route-restricted mainline 'City' that was probably extinct by the time the 'branchline' Dukedog was being introduced. There are several locos in my collection where a healthy dollop of modellers licence is called for, a Dukedog in Yorkshire being one of them! In otherwords, there appears to be a very healthy market where buyers and RTR manufacturers are interdependant on each other.

You are one of many who mentioned a Bulldog. My winter loco building programme is just coming to an end with a GWR Bulldog, Star, and La France all now complete. You can guarentee at least one of these will comeout now I have had to build them. It has happened to me on more than one occasion.

We will find out soon.

Mike Wiltshire

Then my money's on a Star. Big, green, named, ran till the late 50s, large class , widespread. Ticks a lot of boxes and it's never been done to a decent standard

Then my money's on a Star. Big, green, named, ran till the late 50s, large class , widespread. Ticks a lot of boxes and it's never been done to a decent standard

I always had Hornby pegged to produced a Star as they have the toolings for everything below the running plate and the tender, but it was not to be (thats why I gave up and built my own).

I need several Stars so definite sale here if Barwell go down that route.

Mike Wiltshire

Wishlist stuff above wrt to the coaches. However, the moment that anyone brings out a decent aircon Mk2, then there will be a run for the limited edition brigade [1] - one of our LE providers has already said as much on another thread. Without serious tooling modification, there actually aren't many Mk2's or 3's that can be produced without resorting to major tooling changes or printed detail. There are a number of NR Mk2's that look like normal Mk2's, such as the ex-Gatwick Express stuff, but the underframes are completely different and the ends are also modified.

[1] 5981/9481/977997/1256 are relatively easily modelled and will feature in my yellow thread - details in my sig.

Anyway, all will be revealed in the next few days.

Cheers,

Mick

Id like to see them produce new tooling for the coaches to get them as close to the real thing as possible as I think its what people want. Id certainly buy them as would most modern image collectors. Hopfully if they do it will be for general release and not LE. Looking forward to the release list now :)

Probably time for a few tealeaves then ;)

I think there'll be at least one 0-6-0, LNER but possibly not one of the more hotly tipped. I think there'll be non-gangwayed coaching stock, most likely late LMS to tie in with the Portholes, and I've also got a funny feeling about Thompson corridors. This will provide more coach ranges that were widely used and that tap into that 'non-BR but not pre-War' theme. I think there'll be a surprising diesel (not DP2 obviously, I already told you about that :D ) and possibly a very utliitarian EMU. LMS wagons must be in the pipeline, I'm not sure if it'll be this year though.

My DJH Black 5 is now sitting on a shelf in the study, still in primer and on it's second chassis (Kemilway/Ultrascale/RG4). It remains the only EM loco I ever got to work reliably, and the most expensive. I haven't the heart to strip it down and re-gauge it to OO...

Running powers are granted on a certain bit of EM PP&W, any time paths cross Stuart. There's a reason for you to get it painted black. :)

• RMweb Premium

Judging by the siding full of newly completed wagon kits (some with the paint still drying!) I would wager VEA Vanwides will be an annoying certainty!!

• RMweb Premium

One thing that does puzzle me is how Bachmann decides when to upgrade its existing models, in particular to replace split chassis (where used) and make them DCC ready. And when doing so whether or not to upgrade the body at the same time. Bachmann had said on many occasions that it has a rolling programme of chassis upgrades, but how does this fit in with its programme of new models?

I am with a lot of previous posters in wanting a "new" GWR/BR 43xx and Ivatt 2-6-2T. Both sold well and the bodies are pretty good, but equally would still benefit from an upgrade to improve some of the details. I'd be happy to buy either way, but would prefer the body upgrade too. The current chassis upgrades - the A4 and V2 - retain the pre-existing bodies, whereas the old BR Std 4 75000 was replaced by a completely new model. On the diesel front, the D800 Warship was recently given lighting but the windscreens were not replaced and given separately fitted wipers, surely a relatively easy addition?

My point? Will we perhaps this year see fewer all new steam locomotives being announced in the main range and see a greater emphasis on upgrades of existing models or the reuse of exising chassis for similar locos, e.g. the Midland Compound. This would allow a bit of catch up for the new locos announced last year and the resources allocated for new steam loco development could focus on further NRM special editions or other similar such initiatives.

Having said that, I still expect an SR Q Class with a Bluebell Railway tie-in...

The current chassis upgrades - the A4 and V2 - retain the pre-existing bodies, whereas the old BR Std 4 75000 was replaced by a completely new model.
I wonder if these and the B1 were panic reactions to the Hornby B1 announcement. I hate seeing pointless duplication but the Hornby B1 is far better than the Bachmann model. The Hornby A4 is also far better that the Bachmann model. Great pity that the V2 hasn't been properly retooled!

I know Bachmann intend to continue with a policy of some chassis upgrades mixed in with wholly new models. It's a commercial assessment based on whether cost of new chassis(a.) + cost of new 'body'(b.) = substantially greater sales than cost of new chassis(a.) + cost of existing body(c.) relative to cost of existing chassis (d.) + cost of existing body(c.). In some historical cases I believe a+b hasn't been much greater than c+d, certainly in shelf sales so it's a tough call for them to make. The best chances of such instances happening is, I opine, based on the smallest differential in production cost between a to c and b to d for any specific project; if the differential is too great and it's not a big-demand item it'll probably be further down the queue.

Not too long to wait for the news now.

Reading though some of this thread I am in agreement on the non corridors. The Hornby Eastern vehicles are nice, and logic would suggest Bachmann need a piece of the suburban action. BR(WR) non corridors or ex LMS push pulls, or even both. Whatever wagons they do will be nice - but preferably transition era iron / steel carriers for me.

Feeling quite a sense of anticipation and excitement for tommorrow (yes I have a full life thanks), although Bachmann have said they want to see the sales figures for the 85 and desiro before commiting to more 25kv models can't help hoping they will have sneaked something in there! Hope everyone else finds something they are hoping for!

cheers

mark

Here’s my tuppence guess worth. There are a lot of new releases from 2011-12 that have yet to appear, so I would guess we won’t be flooded with new models.

New colours:

Network Rail Class 57

DRS Class 37/4 (37419?) – the MR limited edition seemed to go down well. Maybe we’ll even see the bodyside window blanked off!

LT Pannier (different number – already been hinted at)

I’ll stick my neck out and say some late-life class 47s (here’s hoping, including a royal loco for the Diamond Jubilee).

Some form of Jubilee Class loco (as above), LMS with Stanier tender (significantly absent version)

New Models

Aircon Mk2s

A CIG, natural follow-on from everything else and will redress Hornby’s disaster with the VEP.

Based on my logic with the O4s and GWR RODs, a 4F would be a possibility.

Mk1 FO (although the sleepers are not out yet...)

What chance a completely retooled V2 – the rehashed loco has been ‘delayed’, near universal whinging about the body. The only problem is that it wouldn’t match the pre-announced price.

There won’t be a duke etc – too hot on the heels of the Dukedog – next year maybe but Bachmann won’t want to dilute sales of a loco that has yet to be released, even if any new loco will take until 2013 to arrive (remember the O4s were already out when the GWR versions were announced).

Outside chance – Bluebell-themed a Terrier, E4 or H.

Outside Chance – Metropolitan E Class Tank and matching Met Coaches (also fits bluebell theme, and suburban needs...), released in time for LU150...

Anything announced by Bachmann next week cannot possibly harm the sales of models announced last year. So announcing a large wheel outside frame City Class that will not be available until mid 2013 will in no way harm the Dukedog.

In some respects I think you're spot on with that Coach but it raises the (nigh unaswerable) question why does somebody buy a particular type of loco and in that respect i wouldn't mind betting there is a slice of the market which would happily grab the first outside frame GW loco to come along and be content with it. At the other end there are idiots like me who even if it is totally out of period might find a 'Bulldog' and a 'Duke' as nice to own as a 'Dukedog'.

An editor pointed out that folk will buy anything that appeals to them, so you are not alone in fancying a route-restricted mainline 'City' that was probably extinct by the time the 'branchline' Dukedog was being introduced.

While acknowledging the implicit egocentricity of extrapolating one's own behaviour as also being representative of others, I would be much more tempted by the Dukedog if no earlier 4-4-0s were offered. Perhaps there are others who would do the same? We would certainly be a minority, but the set of all people who would purchase an outside framed 4-4-0 is a minority by most definitions.

I shouldn't purchase a Dukedog. When it was announced I decided I wouldn't. It represents a later period than I prefer* and I'm not a monogram fan (on tenders at least) but it's growing on me. Were any of a City, Flower, Duke, Bulldog, Atbara, etc announced in a 1920s livery - I'd wait for that instead and not purchase the Dukedog. It's not inconceivable that another City could be on the shelves in April 2012 - the tooling is all done. It's simply a matter of scheduling a production slot.

* Yet of course I own tank engines blazoned with G W R. I cannot defend my purchasing behaviour as being rational. I'm glad I don't have to.

Archived