Upbech St Mary, Upbech Drove and Pott Row a journey through 00 and then into EM and 009.

mullie

This is what night operations could look like. All the photos on this thread are taken with an old Fuji film fine pix bought in 2007 and have minimal editing. What you see is what you get! As my children have upgraded their cameras I've tried others but this still seems to give the best results as I can't be bothered to edit them extensively as with very limited free time I'd rather be modelling. I spend huge chunks of my working life in front of a computer. I use photos of the layout for reference, if something doesn't look right then I change the layout not the photo.

post-12773-0-84013400-1372012248_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-94573300-1372012380_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Enjoyed reading this thread, keep up the good work. How do you change starting voltages with the power cab?

The great thing about this layout is that the main board can easily be disconnected from the outer boards so it instantly becomes a programming track once any other locos are removed.

I always tend to use the cab in programming mode rather than 'on main' as the instructions are easy to follow and as I don't have sound or lights on most locos programming is simple. In the manual you will get to a section 'set up motor control.' around page 52 thatl is quite easily followed.

I have a couple of DCC Concepts stay alive decoders in my J70s. The manual for the decoders contains some really useful information on programming voltages starting around page 12. The link is as follows:

http://www.dccconcepts.com/PDF_Downloads/DCCdecoder_instructions.pdf

I also make use of the momentum control on the Power cab, works well with all my locos. I have some Hornby, mainly Bachmann of varying vintage including split chassis and two spuds. What I like about the Power cab is that all the locos need driving slightly differently unless that is the way I have accidentally set things up. I use mainly TCS decoders although there are DCC Concepts as well, 4mts have factory fitted decoders that weren't great until adjusted. Derby Lightweight has Bachmann.

Hope this helps, there are people on this site who know far more than me so might be worth searching for more detailed information if that is what you require or come back to me and I will try and help. My approach is to leave alone if it works and  I can be relied upon to approach programming with a relatively empty open mind! Always remember changes can be undone so take your time.

Made a start on renumbering locos today. Have made the decision to back date the layout to the early 50s . This will mean I have to learn to build kits eventually but I have and will butcher a few things, it won't be pretty but should be a bit of fun.

first photos are of V1/V3 67679. my research lists it as both types! The loco was shedded at Norwich in the early 50s and I have a great photo of it pulling a section of 'The Broadsman' at East Runton. In the photo the loco is labelled V1, my research suggests it was a V3. The photos I have show it as having no crest on the tank side so that is how it has been modelled. The changed number sticks out so will need to be weathered. You might just be able to make out the additional pipework on the front for the Westinghouse brake.

post-12773-0-93544400-1372525559_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-59398100-1372525595_thumb.jpg

Next we have the two J70s with different finishes. One has a BR crest and they are 'handed' which I believe is probably correct for the time. The other is lettered 'British Railways' and this was a major headache as the Methfix transfers wouldn't take to the paint finish on one side. I ended up repainting the side with artists acrylic black. All letters are separate so it did take a bit of sorting. Hopefully not too crooked!

post-12773-0-24205000-1372525647_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-38700300-1372525670_thumb.jpg

The J39 has been backdated as the photo I have seems to suggest no crest on the tender

post-12773-0-06311600-1372525693_thumb.jpg

The fantastic thread by Dave F has a photo of 34059 Sir Archibald Sinclair near Cambridge in 1949 as as part of the loco exchanges. I won a Hornby Battle of Britain at Pecorama a few years ago and had been wondering what to do with it! Today the loco had the crest removed as research suggest this is correct , as is the livery for it's time in East Anglia. Next stage is to order new name plates and renumber. Fitted a TCS DP2X-UK decoder today, took all of five minutes, why aren't they all that easy!

post-12773-0-49974500-1372525751_thumb.jpg

This is not a finescale approach and I'm sure their will be things wrong but this period has always fascinated me so time to put the diesels away. New technology is the arrival of hte Ivatt 4mt although I will stretch to a Derby lightweight as they arrived in East Anglia during 1954 I believe.  Now time to clean all the wheels  and checked the back to backs. The steam locos haven't run since April so it will be a little while before they appear on the layout.

• Like 2

A brace of J70s posed on the layout, also giving quite a good view of the new loading bay arrangement at the jam factory. These really were strange looking locos, no wonder matey on the platform is pointing them out to the school boys in the second photo. Dunno where the crew is though!

post-12773-0-60608000-1372590348_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-57022900-1372590401_thumb.jpg

I have a real soft spot for the tramway and one day will build a layout based on the W&U, the 04s used on the line are just as interesting.

Edited by mullie
  • Like 4

Little bit of progress this week. The J72 is now as much of a J65 as it is ever likely to be and numbered as 8215 a loco that moved between Great Yarmouth and Ipswich in the early 50s. First time I've ever done anything like this. loco is equipped with a small Gaugemaster decoder fixed to the cab roof.

post-12773-0-96173000-1373211191_thumb.jpg

Seen in company with the J70s. All now need a visit to the weathering shop and the J65 needs coupling loops.

post-12773-0-86388800-1373211258_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Summary of recent work to move the time period of the layout back to the 1948-1954 period:

Battle of Britain class 34059 Sir Archibald Sinclair in the condition it took part in the 1949 loco exchanges in East Anglia. (Still needs to be renamed and numbered).

J65 8215. Converted Bachmann J72 broadly in condition as seen in a photo taken at Great Yarmouth September 1949

J70s 683222 and 683217. Silver Link bodies on Spud bogies. Both regulars on the Wisbech and Upwell tramway

J39 639400. In 1951 a Norwich engine, moved to Melton constable briefly in 1954

V1 67679. Allocated to Stratford but seen in photo taken in 1951 at East Runton working coaches from ‘The Broadsmen.’

1950s New technology!

Ivatt 4mts 43154 and 43155. Both as far as I know new to Melton Constable in 1951

Bachmann 08. Identity still to be sorted.

At least for the foreseeable future the Derby Lightweight will be allowed as they came to East Anglia around 1954 and it is a great model, just needs destinations changed to something more relevant.

Also:

The maroon mk 1 coach running with the Gresley brake in Carmine and Cream will be replaced with a Gresley 3rd composite in teak so it can be modified when I feel brave enough! This has been ordered.

I have two Triang clerestories in teak and I can feel my knives warming up to bash them into something usable. Anyone know a good thread for advice on this?

An LNER upper quadrant signal kit and some Tommy Dodd signals arrived from MSE today so I can learn the art of signal building. Much swearing will no doubt ensue! This combination also allows for a more recent 1960s time period if I wish later on as well.

GE water crane and fire devil ordered from Holt.

An upcoming birthday means much ordering of stuff. I’ve decided to try and get this first board largely finished and current stock into relevant condition before embarking on any major new purchases and developing the MPD board. There is still work to do on the freight side and stock that need weathering. I will need to learn the art of kit building. Next project might be to knock up a Claud, a Comet chassis under a J72( two were shedded at Ipswich in 1950 and I already have a spare body) or I could buy a Bachmann 4f and J11 when they come out and I have the funds. Who knows?

Work seriously limits spare time but at least I can't moan I'm bored, the kids and SWMBO will see to that!

• Like 2

Tried to reset the back to backs on the Battle of Britain class and it was having none of it! Have ordered a wheel puller to sort the thing out. It was that or watch it mounting check rails and derailing because the thing won't go through my SMP points!

Otherwise first running session for months went well.

Nothing worth posting photos of this week but progress has continued:

Back to backs reset on the Battle of Britain so it will go through my SMP point work.

Coupling loops sorted out on the J39(was bent) and the J65(ones I put in were slightly too short).

Today, wired in the goods warehouse so all the interior lights work. Unfortunately you can't see the detailed interior but at least I know it's there. The lighting is on quite a long length of wire to the bus underneath the layout so the warehouse can be moved and total removal just requires a quick touch with the soldering iron as all the wiring is fixed to copper tape. Fixed the light bleed further along the warehouse and glued the infill panel in place linking the removable warehouse and the low relief jam factory.

Measured and cut out the roadway for the new over bridge so construction might start on that next week.

Thanks RMweb. 10,000 views for a layout the scenic area of which is currently only just 4 feet long!

Work continues to push the time frame of the layout back although producing suitable rolling stock is going to be a major challenge requiring me to take on kit building and will take some years to complete but adapting what exists RTR has given me a start.

The birthday fairy arrived today with some goodies, who knows what'll arrive next year as I hit the big 50!

A Gresley corridor 3rd arrived in teak as this seemed more appropriate for the late 40s early 50s period although some research and work will be needed to get the colour right. Weathering a coach that cost this much will need bravery!

post-12773-0-66174200-1374605807_thumb.jpg

The colour light signals were removed so something more appropriate could be installed. The combination of LNER tubular post and MacKenzie and Holland ground signals will also allow for a post steam pre tops period which also appeals. Never built kits like this before but nothing ventured.........................

post-12773-0-26819200-1374605863_thumb.jpg

An appropriate water crane and fire devil to be built and installed.

post-12773-0-32988200-1374605898_thumb.jpg

I have some short Triang clerestories in teak so thought I would have a go at butchering them into something more appropriate, flush glazing is always a good place to start. The Peco girder sides were picked up cheap on EBay and the intention is to create something resembling the bridge across the end of Sheringham station using Scalescenes abutments for the left hand end of the current layout.

post-12773-0-82066000-1374605937_thumb.jpg

Then I can move onto the MPD board.

Oh and three CDs arrived: The Script, Ellie Golding and Noah and the Whale. Got behind with my music purchases as I've been buying other stuff such as Led Zepp 4, a Chilli Peppers , art house jazz, Afro beat and Delta Blues compilations.

Edited by mullie
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Not posted for a few weeks but things have been happening and I've been enjoying running the layout! 

I felt the platform end was a bit bland so made up the Mikes Models Great Eastern water crane to try and balance the base board scenically. However, I wasn't impressed with the hose supplied so after a bit of deep thought cut the end of a shoe lace hung it up with a weight at one end then painted it with PVA and walked away for 24 hours.

post-12773-0-56488100-1375726083_thumb.jpg

Now the lace was hard it could be cut to length but was too thin so it was wrapped in tissue paper. The component parts can be seen in this shot:

post-12773-0-87730600-1375726106_thumb.jpg

The peg supplied was cut off, a small hole drilled and a cut down track pin inserted to which it was easy to glue the new hose:

post-12773-0-21950400-1375726155_thumb.jpg

Once reasonably dry it was given a base coat of grey with some raw umber mixed in.

post-12773-0-22660100-1375726183_thumb.jpg

The crane itself was first sprayed with Games Workshop chaos black then painted with artists acrylics. The hose still needs some highlighting which will be done later so I may post a picture of the final crane tomorrow. Possibly the crane is a little dark but I need to check it under the layout lighting.

A fire devil was also constructed from a Mike's model's kit and painted with a combination of acrylics and talcum powder:

post-12773-0-81686100-1375726311_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Water crane in situ. The ground around it now needs developing. Took some interesting photos at Minehead station using my phone over the weekend. Must have confused people, there I was taking photos of the ground around the water crane  and the track in the areas where locos stand for reference. No train was in at the time!

Surprising how much water was laying around, something not often modelled even though there are plenty of photos of locos being watered and the water running down tank and tender sides.It has to go somewhere and it can't disappear immediately.

I did see D7017 arrive later with one of the last trains of the day.

post-12773-0-76260400-1375790621_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Having become totally fed up with derailing Bachmann tenders especially when running tender first I decided to do something about it. My track is by no means perfect but with a three foot radius there really should be no problem despite the cab doors and relatively close coupling. I think the method shown in the photos below is similar to that used by Tony Wright? A loop is attached to the loco of 0.45 handrail wire (Gibson) and a simple bar attached to the tender made up of gardening wire. Seems to work well on all three tender locos ( 2X 4mt and a J39)

post-12773-0-08240000-1375896613_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-08087100-1375896687_thumb.jpg

The middle axle on this loco's tender is also fitted with an MJT compensation unit designed for RTR wagons and early indications are that this tender runs even better than that on 43155 so I might fit a unit to that tender as well. The J39 has a Mainly Trains chassis under the tender and that now works really well. This method of coupling seems to be an improvement on the supplied method, well on my track work anyway. All tenders have some additional weight. 

Hopefully over the next few months will finally get round to weathering some stock, this loco has only been waiting around four years!

• Like 2

At just under four feet the scenic part is small! It has also taken since early 2009 to get this far with more still to do before moving onto the MPD board which is slightly smaller. These two views show more or less the whole scenic part of the current layout. I'm now working on developing stock including some new items. Some older kit built wagons need weighting and there is a bridge to build for the left hand end to replace the one I took out.

post-12773-0-25673200-1376233405_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-26906500-1376233425_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

I do sometimes envy those modellers who have large studs of locos and rolling stock. In around fifteen years I've acquired around ten locos, two DMUs and bought four coaches so modelling on a tight budget means I have to get the best out of what I've got. The reason for using SMP track was because I figured that I could build the track I needed cheaper than I could buy it ready made and it could be built to fit the site rather than the other way round.

Over the summer I've been tweaking various items, a couple of days ago I took four Parkside Dundas vans, took the roofs off and weighted them to around 50 grams as this seems to minimise the risk of derailing.

Last night I took the second Ivatt 4mt tender and fitted an MJT compensation unit to the middle axle as I've found this helped with the other one. Process as follows:

Drill out a middle part of the tender so the unit can be attached to the weight screwed to the tender chassis:

post-12773-0-47149500-1376666285_thumb.jpg

Test fit the base plate to make sure it fits

post-12773-0-93892700-1376666377_thumb.jpg

Next shot shows the unit in place and the amount of 'slop' which helps it stay on the rails.

post-12773-0-61066100-1376666499_thumb.jpg

My home built track isn't perfect so others may not have this problem but I've found this to be far more reliable when the tenders are close coupled, I'm sure their are other ways of sorting this problem. A previous post shows how I also replace the Bachmann loco to tender coupling.

I've also made some progress on the over bridge for the left hand end of the board and hope to finish the basic structure in the next few days. The girders are Peco and the bridge uses the Scalescenes bridge abutments as its basis. The model is loosely based on the bridge that stands at one end of Sheringham station and spans four tracks, the kind of gap this one will also span. In real life the blue brick does not look quite so blue, the light by the window this morning was odd as we were in thick sea mist!

post-12773-0-86485200-1376666575_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-12608600-1376666682_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

An unusual shot of the main station area. This view is not normally available because the MPD board is in the way. Today I began preparations for putting a back scene on that board so it was removed. The benefit of a sectional layout even if not intended for exhibitions is that sections can be removed and worked on comfortably. They can also be turned etc. to gain the best access. The locos in the shot had all been shunted off the MPD board and are currently blocking the main headshunt and one of the access roads to the MPD

post-12773-0-77142600-1377176315_thumb.jpg

Notice the difference in colour of the ballast on the right where locos often stand. This was achieved using artists charcoal There are also shiny patches representing overflow from the water crane. 1950s track work always seems to be very tidy in photographs and I'm not really sure at the moment what else to add. Weeds and the detritus from the 1960s onwards doesn't seem appropriate unless you know different?

• Like 5

Boring job no 315!!

Spent a lot of time this summer setting the layout up so hopefully it will run reliably when I only have time for a quick operating session rather than wanting to undertake maintenance.

The superb Liverpool Lime Street thread showed how on exit from the fiddle yard trains run over tissue impregnated with fluid to keep wheels clean. I didn't want to use tissue but have access to blue cleaning cloths as we use them around the house. To try and avoid the cloth slipping I have built a simple jig to hold the cloth in place using off cuts of plasticard held down by track pins. I use rail zip as a cleaner, a few drops of which is applied to the relevant bit of cloth. Next session the cloth can be slid along to a clean section until such time as it needs replacing and it is suprising how dirty the cloth gets even after a relatively short session. The way the layout is operated means the pilot regularly runs over it as does any loco running into the station as the right hand fiddle yard forms part of the run round. All rolling stock also gets a clean. Hopefully the photo makes things clear

post-12773-0-86100300-1377455712_thumb.jpg

Picked up some cheap scouring pads today so have trimmed them to provide end stops for the aluminium cassettes used in the left hand fiddle yard.

post-12773-0-76897600-1377455783_thumb.jpg

Not very exiting but very necessary jobs.

• Like 3

Final job before going back to work next week is to finish the frame/dust cover for the MPD board so I can start some scenic work. As is my way it was all built out of recycled wood acquired in various ways; packaging, discarded furniture and sometimes I even buy wood!

First shot shows the layout with frame finished, painted but no lid:

post-12773-0-38770700-1377788286_thumb.jpg

With lid ensuring easy access and dust protection in the garage.

post-12773-0-87968000-1377788307_thumb.jpg

MPD board in place next to main station board:

post-12773-0-77516500-1377788355_thumb.jpg

Station and MPD boards- front cover in place. Not only does this make the layout relatively dust free but also means it can be up and running quickly

post-12773-0-95464700-1377788416_thumb.jpg

Board under the nearest base board is the main part of the left hand cassette fiddle yard, (rest of it is poking out from behind the green basket and legs are stored underneath). This is where it is stored when not in use though it needs to be covered.

Wood used is mainly plywood recycled from various past projects. The lid was part of an 8X4 sheet I did purchase ages ago. Each board is easily removable and light although the layout was not built for exhibition. It does make it relatively easy to work on and the shelf places it at a good viewing height (I'm 6 feet tall). Shoe boxes above the layout contain previously constructed buildings and other bits to good to throw away

Backscene will be ordered and I am going to experiment with LED lighting for this board

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mullie
I have just read through the six pages of posts on your layout.  You are doing a fine job of making a small layout with plenty of operational interest.  I have been impressed with some of your methods to cut costs, making your own trackwork looks quite straight forward and I guess providing you take time doing it, it can be more rewarding too.
What I have noticed is where you are working, winter will soon be here again with those cold days and you really need to prepare that garage for a more comfortable existance.  I see no floor covering, you need to be standing on a wooden duck board to get your feet off that cold floor.  It doesn't need to be too wide, length could be in a couple of sections so you can pull it to the centre of the garage when the car comes in and its then underneath.  Also beg some old curtains, the thicker the better, put a wire above the garage door and hang them to cover all that bare metal.  The garage door is acting like a cold radiator, its just sucking cold air in and radiating it out into the inside.
Keep up the good work, looking forward to new enhancements.

mick.

• Like 1

Hi Mullie

I have just read through the six pages of posts on your layout.  You are doing a fine job of making a small layout with plenty of operational interest.  I have been impressed with some of your methods to cut costs, making your own trackwork looks quite straight forward and I guess providing you take time doing it, it can be more rewarding too.

What I have noticed is where you are working, winter will soon be here again with those cold days and you really need to prepare that garage for a more comfortable existance.  I see no floor covering, you need to be standing on a wooden duck board to get your feet off that cold floor.  It doesn't need to be too wide, length could be in a couple of sections so you can pull it to the centre of the garage when the car comes in and its then underneath.  Also beg some old curtains, the thicker the better, put a wire above the garage door and hang them to cover all that bare metal.  The garage door is acting like a cold radiator, its just sucking cold air in and radiating it out into the inside.

Keep up the good work, looking forward to new enhancements.

mick.

Some really good advice, many thanks.

Although north facing, because we are surrounded by sea we don't get the frost and snow of most area but covering the garage door is a good idea. I also have some carpet which could help. The garage does have a tumble dryer that generates heat and removes moisture from the atmosphere. It can be quite warm at times and the bank account really heats up when the leccy bill comes in!

Garage is kept clean and there is a membrane along the bottom of the door to stop water coming in(we live on a hill) that creates a good seal. Garage is integral so I don't have to go outside but given all the above it is still cold in winter.

• 2 weeks later...

Work has been horrendous lately so it is about a month since any real progress was made. Finally today, had a decent block of time having spent odd 5 -10 minutes spells preparing during the week. The station board is currently lit with under cabinet lights as used in kitchens and I've never been really happy with them. This is how a photo looks:

post-12773-0-29462800-1380384365_thumb.jpg

So flicking through Ebay a few weeks ago I came across some LEDs and thought I would give it a try on the new MPD board. Pott Row is meant to be the outer part of a junction station so on this board  I wanted to get a bit more of a rural feel. The main board is also undergoing some changes as I feel it is a bit too urban not helped by its small size. Fitted today I think the results are a massive improvement, Added the back scene last night;

post-12773-0-51017000-1380384422_thumb.jpg

This was time consuming to install as the layout is designed to come apart  Their were three connecting plugs to wire. The LEDs came in an 8m self adhesive roll. Just three relatively short strips lit the board so I've got a lot left. The long wires were to test the set up This is what the 'lid of the MPD board looks like:

post-12773-0-57839600-1380384503_thumb.jpg

The lid is removable so I needed a way of plugging the lights in. I had some old home made fiddle yard connectors used on a traverser so shortened them. The lid lifts out easily if required for work on the scenics at a later date. Drawing a maximum of just 12 volts they run off the second controller on my veteran duette and only need to be on about half throttle to get the right feel. Being LEDS they don't get hot and should last for ages.

post-12773-0-22006900-1380384710_thumb.jpg

I'm pleased with the results, and if still pleased will use the lights I have spare to re light the station board.

Oh and the cost, the LEDs cost around £7 for an 8m role!

• Like 2

Removed the old lights from the station board today, The LEDs are going in, The old kitchen under lights will be used to light the right hand traverser so the spotlights can be got rid of as they generate a lot of heat which could potentially warp plastic.

Put in the LED lighting on the station board last night, in my opinion makes a big difference.The following three photos show how the more modern lighting has I think changed the feel of the layout considerably as has removing the over bridge between the station and MPD boards.

post-12773-0-58000700-1381001150_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-06218300-1381001175_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-46809600-1381001202_thumb.jpg

It is perhaps difficult to appreciate how the layout now looks as you enter the garage when it is set up. The following rather poor photograph shows how the two boards look when set  up and connected. Everything not parallel with the garage wall has to be removed so the car can come in at night including the back scene which lifts off and is stored separately:

post-12773-0-82600300-1381001108_thumb.jpg

The scenic section is around 7 feet long.

Edited by mullie
  • Like 3

Finished the lighting this morning. The under cabinet lights have been moved into the fiddle yard so the 15 year old halogens can be chucked. The results are much better as there is now very little light bleed into the layout.

post-12773-0-86473500-1381058543_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-88654900-1381058566_thumb.jpg

Last shot shows the station board and the fiddle yard with new lighting installed. The strange arm things support the traverser when it is slid out and are hinged so they can be folded away. In this position they are held in place by bathroom door type bolts. Underneath the station board is the left hand fiddle yard and the legs are stored on the next shelf down. The whole layout can be up and running in around 5 minutes

post-12773-0-36345800-1381058608_thumb.jpg

• Like 3