Upbech St Mary, Upbech Drove and Pott Row a journey through 00 and then into EM and 009.

mullie

• RMweb Premium

The coaches do look good and have a real rural service feel about them. As for renumbering I've seen a photo of a J11 LNER 5222 at Melton Constable in about 1938 a possibility for a renumbering? (not sure what it's br number would be)

The coaches do look good and have a real rural service feel about them. As for renumbering I've seen a photo of a J11 LNER 5222 at Melton Constable in about 1938 a possibility for a renumbering? (not sure what it's br number would be)

I have a photo of 64420 at South Lynn in 1953 in East Anglian Steam Album published by South Anglia publications, a good series of books that only seem to have been available for a short time.

I have seen the photo you refer to, a bit early for my time frame at the moment but a fascinating period in M&GN history. The web site I've seen it on has some fantastic M&GN photos and there are many pages of them. Thanks for your interest.

• 3 weeks later...

Good news! Modellers Mecca phoned this morning to say my LNER J15 is ready to be sent. I would like to model a J15 with BR number but with LNER still on the tender or even just leave the model in LNER livery as such locos were often slow to be renumbered. I have a shot of 65462 at Yarmouth Beach in 1949 with BR number coupled to an ex oil burning tender still lettered LNER. wouldn't that make a great model. Seems she was a Lowestoft loco at this time but not sure I'd let that small matter get in the way.

I believe I'm corrct in saying that no model of the oil burning tender is available so I would have to scratch build, just need to find a suitable drawing and pluck up the courage. The Great Eastern Society will be a good place to start, been a member for years.

New loco arrived on shed at Pott Row today.

post-12773-0-60919100-1424190252_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-26210100-1424190274_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-89885500-1424190280_thumb.jpg

And seen in the station.

post-12773-0-82782900-1424190293_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-98533600-1424190303_thumb.jpg

A staged shot to be honest as I haven't had time to run the loco in under DC or add a chip but who would have thought such a loco would be available rtr and there is still the Claud to come.

Next job once chipped and coupling loops added is to decide on a suitable identity, ideally still in LNER livery or LNER on tender and BR number. Then of course it will have to be weathered.

Sorry they are all of the same side, didn't realise until I uploaded them.

Just realised having gone away the day the loco arrived that it has the original low roof so will need a rebuild. That's the trouble with buying a new model unseen I suppose and perhaps I should have bought the BR version. Still never mind eh!

As far as I can make out none survived in this condition into BR days. I do like a challenge.

Edited by mullie
  • Like 6

Great Service from Bachmann.

Contacted them at the start of the week because a buffer had disappeared into the abyss that is the garage floor (I assume as I have no idea where it went only that it had disappeared whilst dismantling for a body swap- more of which anon). Been in Essex visiting family for the last few days and came back to find one had been posted to me, how's that for great service. Full marks to Bachmann.

• Like 2

As well as receiving the J15 I've also been working on the Derby Lightweight to add some detail more correct to the East Anglian version. As detailed in a previous post I ordered replacement bodies from Bachmann and whilst the bodies are off I have painted the interiors and will add driver and passengers and may well experiment with lessening the impact of the lighting. 

First photo shows the subtle differences between the front ends, Eastern version on the right. The destination blinds have since been changed, I produced mine on the computer. whilst not an exact match, from normal viewing distance they pass muster in my view.

post-12773-0-25709800-1424545260.jpg

Different door and window arrangements in the guards area. Eastern version on the left this time.

post-12773-0-22546300-1424545266_thumb.jpg

Painted seating waiting for passengers, the partitions have since been painted.

post-12773-0-22943600-1424545277_thumb.jpg

One end now has a driver, though the poor sod has now  lost his legs and a large part of his lower body!

Edited by mullie
  • Like 6

Pieced the Derby Lightweight together last night though it took 3-4 goes to get the lighting pick ups to line up! First shot shows the interior.

post-12773-0-64466300-1424722816_thumb.jpg

Second shot shows the lighting with tracing paper glued over. Glue was only applied at the ends but if you compare the photos that follow to earlier shots I believe it makes quite a  difference. 

post-12773-0-28462500-1424722872_thumb.jpg

Head on shot, you should be able to see the driver though not sure where he's going as there is no platform on this line!

post-12773-0-26742300-1424722953_thumb.jpg

Last two shots show the effect of the lighting.

post-12773-0-61464300-1424723021_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-31632300-1424723032_thumb.jpg

Now need to add front end details and corridor connections.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Looks excellent, the only thing I'm not too happy with with the Bachmann Derby lightweight is the marker lights, they are brighter than the ones on the real class 68. As I'm not doing lights I intend to disconnect the head and tail lamps on the ones I've got

Looks excellent, the only thing I'm not too happy with with the Bachmann Derby lightweight is the marker lights, they are brighter than the ones on the real class 68. As I'm not doing lights I intend to disconnect the head and tail lamps on the ones I've got

Hi Russ

I am also experimenting with the bright lights. I have used an orange piece of celluloid film (from a craft set from Wilko's - includes yellow and orange), putting small pieces of film over the leds. The orange reduces the glare to quite an acceptable level. I have also used the yellow for the interior light leds. 

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Its a shame as they have got the lights right on other units. When you see old pictures of the units in action in the 50s and 60s marker lights tended not to be displayed during daylight hours. And my pet hate red marker lights especially two of them! Fixed tail lamp's weren't introduced until the late 70s and until 1982 two reds indicated royal trains.

Hi Russ

I am also experimenting with the bright lights. I have used an orange piece of celluloid film (from a craft set from Wilko's - includes yellow and orange), putting small pieces of film over the leds. The orange reduces the glare to quite an acceptable level. I have also used the yellow for the interior light leds. 

Andy

Like the sound of this will give it a try. Agree with both of you, the lights are too bright.

Thanks for your interest.

New loco arrived on shed at Pott Row today.

attachicon.gifWP_20150217_13_17_31_Pro.jpg

attachicon.gifWP_20150217_13_17_53_Pro.jpg

attachicon.gifWP_20150217_13_18_08_Pro.jpg

And seen in the station.

attachicon.gifWP_20150217_13_16_20_Pro.jpg

attachicon.gifWP_20150217_13_16_37_Pro.jpg

A staged shot to be honest as I haven't had time to run the loco in under DC or add a chip but who would have thought such a loco would be available rtr and there is still the Claud to come.

Next job once chipped and coupling loops added is to decide on a suitable identity, ideally still in LNER livery or LNER on tender and BR number. Then of course it will have to be weathered.

Sorry they are all of the same side, didn't realise until I uploaded them.

Just realised having gone away the day the loco arrived that it has the original low roof so will need a rebuild. That's the trouble with buying a new model unseen I suppose and perhaps I should have bought the BR version. Still never mind eh!

As far as I can make out none survived in this condition into BR days. I do like a challenge.

I loved this loco but in truth it is out of period so I have returned it and will be swapping most likely for a late crest version with Westinghouse pump and will then set about backdating it. Edited by mullie
  • Like 1

Couple of additions to the Derby Lightweight.

Hoses and screw coupling added to the front, seen leaving on a service to Kings Lynn:

post-12773-0-87610300-1425154595_thumb.jpg

I think I might actually prefer this photo with the lights off, my efforts to dull the lights failed despite trying various types of film across the LEDs.

Modeller's Mecca corridor connections added.

post-12773-0-37597000-1425154651_thumb.jpg

Now needs light weathering as I want it to look more or less ex works as the exciting future of rail travel in the early 50. Ironically they came to East Anglia only a few years after the 4mts and both were redundant within a relatively short time frame.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I loved this loco but in truth it is out of period so I have returned it and will be swapping most likely for a late crest version with Westinghouse pump and will then set about backdating it.

Was going to ask what you intended to do with your LNER J15 when I got mine I was somewhat surprised to find out that Hornby had opted for one that was scrapped before it reached BR days. I have two of these lovelies and intend to renumber.

Was going to ask what you intended to do with your LNER J15 when I got mine I was somewhat surprised to find out that Hornby had opted for one that was scrapped before it reached BR days. I have two of these lovelies and intend to renumber.

The LNER version is lovely but as someone who often has very little time for modelling I decided to send it back and get a refund though it looked so good I considered starting a 1920s version of the layout. I couldn't find evidence that any had survived into the late 40s/ early 50s with this cab arrangement though that doesn't mean some didn't.

I've just taken delivery of the late crest dual braked version that I will back date, this seems to be the easier route.

My late crest J15 is finally chipped, hoses attached and coupling loops added for S&W couplings. Runs superbly but is a bit more lively than I thought, might need to play with the setting on the Lenz Silver chip.

post-12773-0-26683600-1426358915_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-98647300-1426358922_thumb.jpg

Still can't believe such a model is available RTR, GE line modellers have never before been this lucky, now needs renumbering and weathering.

• Like 8

J15 finally subjected to some running and not as low geared as expected. I will need to play with the settings in order to get the slow speed running I need, still a fantastic loco and now joins the long line of things I need to do on the layout as a thing called work keeps seriously getting in  the way. Loco seen on the mpd with a 4f also in need of renumbering and weathering!

post-12773-0-10033300-1426795793_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-29375200-1426795801_thumb.jpg

At least I do have some Monty's crew for them so that would be a start.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

For some time I've been looking at the buildings along the back of the layout and becoming concerned that they were starting to look a little tired as some of the paper is starting to lift despite extensive sealing. The buildings were put on the layout in the early days around 2009-10 so have been around for five years or so. The Scalescenes kits are superb but I want to have something that reflects the East Anglian setting of the layout better though this is difficult in such a confined space. Originally the  layout had a more urban back storey set in the late 50s early 60s so these buildings are not really appropriate. Therefore, yesterday I took the radical step of taking out the jam factory and while I  think about how best to replace it I have used a Gaugemaster backscene I already had as an interim measure. The water tower remains as the water crane on the mainline needs a supply from somewhere and it bridges the gap between the mpd and station boards. This is how things currently look:

post-12773-0-39235000-1427825592_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-67669600-1427825600_thumb.jpg

There is a nasty ridge in the back scene because the lower part of the back scene and the hinged lid used different thickness timber as that was all I had- the jam factory covered it up. I also intend to rebuild the platforms and provide more authentic station buildings and estimate it will take at least the rest of the year to complete. The layout runs well and although there are some lumps and bumps in my home built point work derailments are rare and always investigated. I see this as a natural evolving of the layout as I can't face starting again and why should I as I'm happy with the concept.

The layout now has a much more open feel that might be worth preserving?

• Like 2

I have a photo of 64420 at South Lynn in 1953 in East Anglian Steam Album published by South Anglia publications, a good series of books that only seem to have been available for a short time.

I have seen the photo you refer to, a bit early for my time frame at the moment but a fascinating period in M&GN history. The web site I've seen it on has some fantastic M&GN photos and there are many pages of them. Thanks for your interest.

For anyone interested, there are a number of South Anglia Publications in the book shop in Watton High Street.  If anyone is interested and it's too far for a look, you can PM me and I'm sure I can look for you.

I snapped up several yesterday and as a 'Southern' person, the East Anglian Bug has got me......... 

• Like 1

For anyone interested, there are a number of South Anglia Publications in the book shop in Watton High Street.  If anyone is interested and it's too far for a look, you can PM me and I'm sure I can look for you.

I snapped up several yesterday and as a 'Southern' person, the East Anglian Bug has got me.........

I found a pile of these books in a tiny bookshop in Billericay over twenty years ago and have never regretted buying them. They were well priced, good format and photos I'd not seen before or since. I come back to them regularly for inspiration.

Many thanks.

Playing around with possible back scene ideas. Built these low relief facades for the original version of the layout scrapped in 2008. Built from Wills parts they are just leaning against the back scene and are unlikely to form part of the final scene but a useful temporary infill.

post-12773-0-19059600-1428248558_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-90072400-1428248567_thumb.jpg

J15 running really well now. It was my fault, I needed a small decoder so took it out of the Battle of Britain and put it in without changing the settings other than the address. Runs superbly now with just a return to default settings and the correct number programmed in. BoB now has a TCS T1 in it and is also much happier.

post-12773-0-11377600-1428248577_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I always try and keep things going where possible and rolling stock is no exception. The three wagons in the photo below were some of the first Parkside Dundas wagon kits I built perhaps around 15-16 years ago. The two mineral wagons were originally very heavily weathered but with the early 50s time frame would have been new so the paint was stripped and a more presentable finish given to reflect their relative new state though more weathering is still to be applied as I'm not quite happy yet. Both wagons use MJT compensation units for no other reason than I wanted to try them.

The LNER fitted five plank was also stripped and it has been painted and numbered in something close to an LNER post war finish. The colour is a mix of raw sienna and yellow ochre based on the few photos I could find. The wagon has MJT W irons and axle boxes. Weathering still needed

All wagons use a combination of HMRS and Modelmaster decals cut up for suitability. Rivet counters need look no further but they capture the mood I'm after and have allowed me to develop my skills.

post-12773-0-06484800-1428767319_thumb.jpg

• Like 4