Upbech St Mary, Upbech Drove and Pott Row a journey through 00 and then into EM and 009.

mullie

18 hours ago, mullie said:

I keep meaning to go down the mine as we live over the road from the entrance but we always seem to be somewhere else on those occasions. I've walked close to and seen the entrance today. The quarries are still working.

I understand that they have the necessary mineral-extraction permissions to enable them to continue for decades.

auldreekie

7 hours ago, auldreekie said:

I understand that they have the necessary mineral-extraction permissions to enable them to continue for decades.

auldreekie

I think there will always be a demand for the stone, so as long as they can extract it they will keep doing so because of the price it can command. When we moved here Inmosthay Quarry had been shut for many years. It has now been reopened.

Shame they didn't keep the railway line open at least to the Victoria Square/Portland Port area, could have saved a lot of lorry journeys on what are not great roads. No motorways in Dorset.

The J70s have taken over passenger services again, good job no one is in a hurry.

477474327_J70vintage.jpg.a72b3bca9390d6f8b0d444fee236cf0a.jpg

Built a baseboard today for the extension, I have already built a board for a better fiddle yard. The board is just 32 X12 inches so another micro that will be attached to Upbech. I already had the frame as part of the support for my now dismantled Rickett Street layout. Hope to start building point work soon. I don't like building baseboards.

IMG_20200404_110616930.jpg.42de28360ef452623c130c3f39e10067.jpg

I wouldn't call myself an eco modeller but I have always recycled everything I can as a way of saving money and maximising resources that are more difficult to get in this area. This is the reverse of the new board, used as part of my HLF project display all now lodged with the County Records office.

IMG_20200404_102114835.jpg.cdb3eace2f2cd89ac901eec4cd2bf879.jpg

Visit to the high angle batteries today.

IMG_20200404_091946768_HDR.jpg.6c053b07263c3b620682db9f7528cc5d.jpg

In this photo you can still see the tramway used to move shells. I once took part in a junk music performance inside the tunnels beyond this gate.

IMG_20200404_092338118.jpg.b77ab22aa5fb283446b08be310837c55.jpg

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 03/04/2020 at 08:36, NHY 581 said:

Morning Martyn. 

Looking at your thread I am struck by the fact that there is a clear need for someone to produce a J69 to today's standards. Either Hornby or Bachmann would do a fine job, I'm sure. 

And they are quite pretty... ( says the Southern/Midland man) 

Rob. 

And an E4 of course. And I could do with a J 17. :)

Alex

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, wiggoforgold said:

And an E4 of course. And I could do with a J 17. :)

Alex

E4 would be very nice.......... hang on, what am I saying!!!? 

Does GER count as L&NER? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

E4 would be very nice.......... hang on, what am I saying!!!? 

Does GER count as L&NER? 

Come over from the dark (er) side.

I am worried that having lived in Dorset for so long I may stray from the path but then I have always had a soft spot for Southern thingys but that is largely around the East London line and lines into London Bridge and Charing Cross because of time spent living in that area. My Rickett Street layout definitely had East London line overtones.

But then again there are all those photos of steam into Bournemouth and Weymouth during 1967 and the line over to Portland.

In 1977 I had a Hornby hall as part of the silver jubilee train set  but I got better!

• Like 2

As the baseboards are done, need to start thinking about some track. The new module will feature a small wayside halt/station and include a crossover completed in the fiddle yard. Tonight, sleepers were gapped and laid. Not sure it is apparent from the photo, this complex is on a very gentle curve and is around 24 inches long. The baseboard is only 32 inches. It is laid on a spare off cut of kitchen worktop, the only thing I could find flat and long enough.

IMG_20200406_212447138.jpg.5e7e2a3fa86d76ecfbbc6a32432c5d08.jpg

I did consider using proper chaired track but I like building PCB track and it sort of fits with the branch line feel of the layout.

Been on a walk today but no new photos, I average around 2 1/2 miles a day.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mullie,

As with your previous work in 00 I am really enjoying watching this proceed.  Intrigued by how this new board will work and fit in with the existing.

Regards,

Alex,

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Alex TM said:

Hi Mullie,

As with your previous work in 00 I am really enjoying watching this proceed.  Intrigued by how this new board will work and fit in with the existing.

Regards,

Alex,

I'm intrigued as well because with so little space it is an exercise in leaving things out, I don't know how it will turn out either.

Thanks for the interest, will be good to see Yelverton in the flesh too as it is looking really good.

Martyn

I often prefer to stand when working on projects in the garage so with the layouts exhibition deadline postponed, using the two new baseboards and the trestles I bought to support the layout. I created a workbench for building track.

IMG_20200407_194455503.jpg.2a98cd75bd062298cabb74612a969d5b.jpg

This is progress at the end of today.

IMG_20200407_201711577.jpg.2513a362bb6fead7cc7feea55875c173.jpg

Trip to Church Ope Cove this morning, a lovely secluded bay that the tourists often miss The site of a former parish Church, despite being known as the pirates grave yard there is no known connection with pirates.

IMG_20200407_101217909_HDR.jpg.4a813e82bc456e9e7e28905c3d70ffda.jpg

IMG_20200407_101744866.jpg.bba03024843f309b650c260f4f8aeba5.jpg

• Like 10

I can't always find much to watch on TV so apart from turning it off and putting music on, something I often do there is YouTube and I found this series around a week ago, some fantastic footage East Anglian railway footage I hadn't seen before. Please follow the link to the series of videos, they can't be embedded.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzjYUiM0w4gC9ZLkVZGWjWQ

Edited by mullie
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, mullie said:

I can't always find much to watch on TV so apart from turning it off and putting music on, something I often do there is YouTube and I found this series around a week ago, some fantastic footage East Anglian railway footage I hadn't seen before. Please follow the link to the series of videos, they can't be embedded.

Thanks Martyn, 

This is very good. Not watched it all as of yet but I'm very taken with Wickham Bishops........and the J15.....

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, mullie said:

Thanks for posting the video, watched the first 13 mins, as I now live 5 miles from Maldon, The station building is used as offices, the platform canopy is still there but has a building under and is now hidden behind a new building, very interesting seeing the causeway, the level crossing and the river Chelmer, friends have recently moved from Ulting. Will watch the rest later

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hayfield said:

Thanks for posting the video, watched the first 13 mins, as I now live 5 miles from Maldon, The station building is used as offices, the platform canopy is still there but has a building under and is now hidden behind a new building, very interesting seeing the causeway, the level crossing and the river Chelmer, friends have recently moved from Ulting. Will watch the rest later

Our family used to go to the Promenade Park in Maldon when it still had a swimming pool and then go to the fair. It was relatively easy to get to by bus for us, aunts and grandparents. We lived in Brentwood, the others lived in villages outside Chelmsford and no one had a car

Our children went to Maldon when younger and we have even called in since moving to Dorset. A place with a lot of happy memories.

Martyn

Edited by mullie

Martin

We live in Danbury and I certainly prefer Maldon to Chelmsford, there is a new business park on the old Goods yard where I pick up wild bird food, so see the station canopy quite often, the station building can be seen from the next road, might make a nice model as the station building is quite distinctive and I guess the whole station footprint is quite small as it is contained by the level crossing

We also pass Maldon West station or rather cross what was the bridge, station and platforms are long gone but the goods shed is still there, part of it is a micro brewery, this also would make a lovely little station as the road bridge and high level station building on to of it makes a super exit break for a layout

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, hayfield said:

Martin

We live in Danbury and I certainly prefer Maldon to Chelmsford, there is a new business park on the old Goods yard where I pick up wild bird food, so see the station canopy quite often, the station building can be seen from the next road, might make a nice model as the station building is quite distinctive and I guess the whole station footprint is quite small as it is contained by the level crossing

We also pass Maldon West station or rather cross what was the bridge, station and platforms are long gone but the goods shed is still there, part of it is a micro brewery, this also would make a lovely little station as the road bridge and high level station building on to of it makes a super exit break for a layout

Hi John

I was a member of the Maldon club when it still existed and we were building a model of Maldon East to Maldon West  going over the Chelmer and Blackwater Navigation, which is now under of the Maldon bypass. It was a huge layout and that was after a couple of sidings were taken out at East Station goods yard. Sadly interest started to decline as the members who pushed to build it moved away.

• Like 1

Clive

That's a shame, I have tried a little about finding out about both lines. Trouble was when I borrowed a couple of books I was new to the area and knew few places.

I will find an old OS map online just so I can visualise what is where now. Apparently the wooden trestle bridge is still there and most of the track bed can be walked

From the information in the video there are quite a lot of remains including bridges, platforms and buildings. The Maldon East station building is well known and the Wickham station building still exists though pretty unrecogniseable. The timber viaduct is a listed structure I think. I have to admit I know less about the line through Maldon West, it seems to have travelled through some pretty sparsely populated areas so it is not surprising the passenger service stopped in the early 50s. 

It amazes me how much can be found if you know where to look. Even after all this time lines can often be traced by a line of trees, embankment section, a station house, goods shed or a bridge. Google maps can be good when in satellite mode then use street view to get in close.

Martyn

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, hayfield said:

Clive

That's a shame, I have tried a little about finding out about both lines. Trouble was when I borrowed a couple of books I was new to the area and knew few places.

I will find an old OS map online just so I can visualise what is where now. Apparently the wooden trestle bridge is still there and most of the track bed can be walked

On approaching the wooden trestle bridge the drivers would give a blast on the whistle (horn on a diesel) giving the wood worms time to link their arms so the bridge wouldn't fall down. :yes:

Another myth about the line, on a frosty morning the railbus wouldn't start at Maldon , the passengers would get down on the tracks and help give it a bump start. :declare:

I watched the video, the narrator of the first part has it all wrong...I use to live in WIT-HAM. I now live in Lincolnshire where there is a river WITH-AM.

• Funny 5

2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

On approaching the wooden trestle bridge the drivers would give a blast on the whistle (horn on a diesel) giving the wood worms time to link their arms so the bridge wouldn't fall down. :yes:

Another myth about the line, on a frosty morning the railbus wouldn't start at Maldon , the passengers would get down on the tracks and help give it a bump start. :declare:

I watched the video, the narrator of the first part has it all wrong...I use to live in WIT-HAM. I now live in Lincolnshire where there is a river WITH-AM.

I too noticed the mispronunciation of Witham, people have a habit of things like that. Ongar, where I have also lived gets the same treatment and I currently live in a road called Reforne which people either can't pronounce or spell and no it doesn't have the word road after it.

My first name has a Y in it and my surname isn't spelt the way it is said, I've got used to it to be honest.

Martyn

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, mullie said:

My first name has a Y in it and my surname isn't spelt the way it is said, I've got used to it to be honest.

Hi Martyn,

You have my sympathies with that one.  I've spent most of my life having to spell my surname; it got to the point at one time that I thought of changing my name to "I'll spell that for you".  MY first name is "Alexander" yet wait 'til you count the number of people that can't even spell that!

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 1

Drift away. I'm finding all this really interesting and in these trying times if this thread helps to keep people sane even in a small way then that has to be a good thing.

This thread also used to be called 'somewhere in East Anglia.' Although ostensibly set on the Norfolk/ Cambridgeshire border in the area around Stoke Ferry and the real Pott Row  it does draw from lots of places.  The station building complex used on the last version of Pott Row included a building built from plans of Cressing (Braintree branch) with other bits drawn from Widford on the Buntingford branch. Throw in a bit of the Wisbech and Upwell and the M&GN and you have something quite bonkers.

I suppose I can't let go of my Essex routes or my love of East Anglia despite living in one of the most beautiful coastal areas.

Martyn

Edited by mullie
Gone back to using Safari, forgot about its spell checking.
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1