Upbech St Mary, Upbech Drove and Pott Row a journey through 00 and then into EM and 009.

mullie

I 've got the same problem, brought up in West Essex, going to school behind crumbling N7s and with A Grandparent living in Norfolk, Liverpool Street to Norwich and so on, now I live in Cornwall, modelling GER. but just hooked on tram locos.

Edited by robert17649
speling errer
  • Like 1

I have watched most of the film and watched the first two mini films several times just to get my orientation correct, pity we are not allowed out as could go and explore various sites. Still  as I retire in 19 days I will have plenty of time hopefully in the months to come

Just bought a SEF N7 which needs finishing off, fancied painting it in GER blue but there does not seem to be any transfers in the HMRS range, will build it to EM gauge but it will look a bit out of place on my west country layout

59 minutes ago, hayfield said:

I have watched most of the film and watched the first two mini films several times just to get my orientation correct, pity we are not allowed out as could go and explore various sites. Still  as I retire in 19 days I will have plenty of time hopefully in the months to come

Just bought a SEF N7 which needs finishing off, fancied painting it in GER blue but there does not seem to be any transfers in the HMRS range, will build it to EM gauge but it will look a bit out of place on my west country layout

fox transfers do a lot of gER stuff, no connection , but worth a try

• Thanks 1

Progress has been made on the crossing for the layout extension though it is taking a bit of time. So far I have managed to take the mask off before trying to drink the coffee! I'm not good with fumes.

IMG_20200412_152140691.jpg.88098afa5a45b3b4e4e5671841c1a547.jpg

Meanwhile our intrepid photographer has found a scene from the 1960s.

1865868401_wagons1.jpg.c40f642da2669be80cb95a0a6ae8b1e0.jpg

• Like 9

Only more soldering on point work today so no modelling worth photographing.

However, as it has been dry for a while it was possible to follow the old railway line under the bridge across a road called Wakeham. This track is now used by quarry vehicles and is flooded for much of the year.

Railway_1.jpg.79784ae8b68ce34c56fe63fb618c83a6.jpg

Once out on the cliffs the line descends gently towards the port between the cliffs and the sea.

644802826_Railway2.jpg.2d1b3f6fc602e6abcd40ecc7c7662f26.jpg

• Like 5

The cliffs do get quite high along the path. The line had to climb from sea level on the causeway to 285 feet above sea level in Easton station. There were always restrictions on the number of loaded stone wagons a loco could pull down the incline.

Railway_3.jpg.5c1a435e8a96e1fd616c92d3b01db271.jpg

Railway_4.jpg.a3892c48302b329406ce170c6d85ab1b.jpg

• Like 6

The crossing for the layout extension is now done. The 30cm straight edge shows just how long they are and they are on a very gentle curve courtesy of Templot.

IMG_20200415_110623952.jpg.1451c2c837bca78ff923f3af4fc8845a.jpg

There is a lot of Portland stone just lying around, these must be worth a fortune at today's prices and are simply on the side of a small field.

IMG_20200415_135312552.jpg.4affe2e36805dc6629d5acc63aae2a1f.jpg

We even have windmills, more information here.

IMG_20200415_135436901.jpg.6b40e898d73758474274496765756339.jpg

• Like 8

The plan at the moment is to build a stretch of line around 9 feet in length with a rural feel to it and this will be built with PCB track to create more of a light railway feel. Once this is completed there could be a second level and current thinking is to give that a more M&GN feel and could include the re building of Pott Row. This will feature fully chaired track. The layout will be built in small sections as I can't rule out a house move during the time it will take to get all that done as we will almost certainly down size (with railway room) at some point. Part of the plan is to use the various buildings I have built over the years mainly scratch built.

However, there could be a Portland/Dorset based layout once I get my museum exhibits back if I don't build it in 3mm and I've always wanted to build a US layout so things could and almost certainly will change.

Still shouldn't get bored!

• Like 6

An interloper has arrived on a passenger service.  A Hornby model with detailed buffer beam, weathered, passengers added etc. Modified to run on Rickett Street that sadly probably won't get rebuilt. Conversion to EM was a doddle, I simply pulled the wheels out on their axles though I had to make some new pick ups on one of the bogies.1683019839_127DMU.jpg.0e9f9d79275345cf900a6325bab7c99a.jpg

The new baseboards are ready for working on. Because of the current situation they are built out of wood I already had. The baseboard on the right is the fiddle yard and will use cassettes hence the lower level, the small gaps won't matter.

IMG_20200418_164234541.jpg.7d1221e62d59d69ff333f0691b638b41.jpg

• Like 8

With preparations for virtual SWAG pretty much complete thoughts have turned to the layout extension. The luggage clips and alignment dowels from Station Road Baseboards were added and so next thing is to glue the track plan down and start building track. The point complex takes up much of the board, this will in effect be another micro layout that can either be joined to Upbech or operated in its own right.

IMG_20200422_194049564.jpg.08a213045a36fffa4fa52924c41ff0bb.jpg

This building dominates Portland, visible from many places. This is the young offenders institute, more information can be found here. I often walk round past the entrance on the way to the cliff paths and because of the time of day I take my daily exercise I'm sure some of the people I pass and usually say hello to have just been let out as some ask the way to the bus stop.

IMG_20200422_084443887.jpg.e2c7d1ab762b39248b096c3c457c4fcc.jpg

There is also a second prison in the Verne Citadel and there used to be a prison ship  in Portland harbour

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, sb67 said:

I  like that interloper, I think it looks pretty good on there :) will it be a regular  visitor?

It runs surprisingly well and has improved since the conversion to EM though I have no idea why given how it was done. It really doesn't belong but until I have something suitable for it I'm sure it will make occasional appearances.

• Like 1

Stock detailing and maintenance continues. The LMS brake van has had new buffers and coupling hooks added. The thick roof has been replaced and new rainstrips added.

IMG_20200424_213141065.jpg.f6c0108a0ed6bc3e9856376bdcf257ca.jpg

A BR period van undergoing maintenance, the Kadee needed to be remounted as it wasn't working reliably. In the process I broke the brake lever so a new etched one was in the process of being fitted and now needs painting. The coupling has been set with the height gauge and is now being tested on the shunting cassette.

IMG_20200424_213150501.jpg.8ee25c62c471a58a0a38128c8c62c0c5.jpg

Got right out onto the Undercliff at Penn's Weare yesterday where the stone for St Paul's Cathedral came from. This view looks back towards Church Ope Cove, on the right is Rufus Castle.

IMG_20200416_082630485-PANO.jpg.cfa03798ce7ecddbb0fbdea869941e07.jpg

This view shows one of the World War II pillboxes still in the area.

IMG_20200416_084345056.jpg.9f382298ad0b870a7d6551f1d5a658a3.jpg

Looking forward to virtual SWAG on Sunday.

• Like 9

Really enjoyed the video Mullie,  it was good to see how you operate. I like the coach, I think it gives the light railway look superbly. I keep thinking about building something similar to your layout but don't know what passenger stock is available for an Essex based light railway. 

26 minutes ago, sb67 said:

Really enjoyed the video Mullie,  it was good to see how you operate. I like the coach, I think it gives the light railway look superbly. I keep thinking about building something similar to your layout but don't know what passenger stock is available for an Essex based light railway. 

There are some 3D prints of 6 wheel and Wisbech and Upwell stock but I have seen mixed revues of them so haven't bought any yet. My main concern is the quality of the prints and trying to get a decent finish.

Worsley works make some GE bogie coach sides that I might investigate but being etched brass they would take some building as they are really scratch aids.

You could model the 60s and get a Heljan railbus?

Thanks for the comments about the video, it wasn't that difficult to film as the stock really does run like that. Main problem was running the trains and holding my phone at the same time! I tried various types of music but didn't like any of it, I even tried ambient outdoor sound that I had recorded myself. I prefer the sound of the electric motor. Could be because I often watch layout videos with the sound off and prefer to listen to music when operating my layout. Not sure what this says about me, music and music education is my trade.

• Like 2

The Heljan railbus would have to be the best option I guess, I've a couple of Hornby Thompson non gangway coaches and I thought I could get away with them but maybe not. I do like the look of the new Hattons Generic  pre group stuff as well but they're pretty expensive. 

I'd be a bit nervous of the 3D stuff too, I've seen some really coarse printing.

• Informative/Useful 1

The etches look superb but even the six wheelers were gone by BR days. Need to hunt down a model of the type used on the Mid Suffolk in very early BR days before they were replaced.

mid-suffolk.jpg?w=500&h=509

Martyn

• Like 4