Upbech St Mary, Upbech Drove and Pott Row a journey through 00 and then into EM and 009.

mullie

24 minutes ago, sb67 said:

I'd like to know  more about how you'll operate the layout, I guess I should but never think too much about it when I build a layout.

Steve.

Once I've written it up I will try to remember to post it on here, it won't be complicated. Suffice to say, wagons that arrive full leave empty as much of the traffic that arrives goes on to the Fens as the station effectively acts as an interchange. The fiddle yard represents the junction where the GE and light rail lines divide, in time I hope to build it.

I have this mad idea to rebuild Pott Row underneath it creating a twin level layout so eventually trains from Upbech will arrive at Pott Row but that is at least 8-10 years down the line at current rates of progress if it ever gets built.

Martyn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, mullie said:

I have this mad idea to rebuild Pott Row underneath it creating a twin level layout so eventually trains from Upbech will arrive at Pott Row but that is at least 8-10 years down the line at current rates of progress if it ever gets built.

Martyn

That sounds interesting Martyn.

Steve.

J72 shunting on the quay

1717636191_ShuntingonthequayJ72.jpg.18ff1c34471bf675fb7df78873e0c737.jpg

And in Sepia

1129878932_ShuntingonthequayJ72Sepai.jpg.ce00070a28aa31345ad71311ba876dd6.jpg

The loco does need to go back in the shops to have the paint on its chassis touched up but it does now have screw couplings (cosmetic) and coal in the bunker. Could also do with some crew.

Hoping to get to the RM Web day in Taunton tomorrow. It is some years since I've been due to family commitments.

Martyn

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

Some more wagons have been re gauged to EM. Mostly kit built apart from the van which is Bachmann. Couplings have been made, just need attaching.

Two open wagons, the one on the left is a very old Slaters kit, possibly the old Simmons PO wagon on a 9ft chassis?. The one on the right is a Parkside kit with new chassis and buffers.

2121097613_Newwagons1.jpg.20798437ae400d90eeedb8db25d812e5.jpg

The Bachmann van and an old Airfix brake van bashed to look like an LNER Toad. All saw service on Pott Row.

1116750595_Newwagons2.jpg.cf1ba3e654246371b4936b4743dafc59.jpg

• Like 9

And in black and white. Couplings were fitted tonight so they will soon be in service once they have been blackened with 'gun black' pen.

158347233_Newwagons2BW.jpg.f5826ee401f3d302ba1f993bee381645.jpg

1102053026_NewwagonsBW.jpg.6122a53eb9a22c5e1e5c11f965e25e52.jpg

The layout is really at capacity now, I do want to build the other etched brass van this summer but that will be it for a while. More locos will be converted including the J39 rebuilt with a Comet chassis. I'm currently woking on an 08 shunter for Rickett Street, soldering the PH Design steps was fiddly to say the least

• Like 8

Not much happening.

1359486604_Notmuchhappening1.jpg.9be17dc49d12370192f16c05a36f49a3.jpg

Hopefully off to Expo EM on Sunday, a good day out,  a chance to speak to various demonstrators as well as see some excellent layouts. Worth spending around 6 hours in the car, make sure I have plenty of music to listen to.

• Like 7

I have decided to give it a miss this year, the layouts are good but with Railex on next week, which in my opinion is a far better show and has more traders I can spend my hard earned cash with.

I am a member of the society, but I must say I have recently been very disappointed with them especially with one of the officers who seems to have a bit of an attitude. Still I am certain they will not miss my subs and I will not miss the society. Thankfully one can model in EM gauge quite happily using traders, who perhaps deserve the support more.

Still enjoy your day out and keep posting 

• Like 1

Expo EM was well worth the long drive and also included spending time with our daughters who are based in the Southampton area which was also great.

For me, it is the ideal exhibition. Excellent layouts that inspire and the demonstrators are something else I go for. Today I  took advice on track work construction using timber sleepers and scale chairs as well as chassis springing/compensation techniques. These are all techniques I want to try. Picked up various bits and pieces mainly from the Gibson stand and had useful chats with many other traders.

As a result of today's escapades this layout will be changing/developing in ways I hadn't previously thought about!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, mullie said:

As a result of today's escapades this layout will be changing/developing in ways I hadn't previously thought about!

Hi Mullie,

Intriguing!  Care to share a few ideas?  Thanks.

Regards,

Alex.

Watch this space as they say! I have in mind to extend the layout that will mean some significant changes.

Like I said, some may not work but then better to try and fail than not try at all!

• Like 5

I came back from Expo EM with all sorts of ideas to change the layout, took the cover off tonight, took a long look at it and thought no I don't want to change it after all. 

Instead, I took some time to adjust all the couplings, put new coupling loops on the J72 and made plans to relay the fiddle yard access track. I do think the fiddle yard could do with a couple more inches in length though it will take some thought as to the best way to do it.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Thought, for a little while, we could end up looking at a 40' windswept, Fen layout !! Ahh Well.

manna

Only if it went out the front of the garage and across the road, bus company might be a bit upset!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

Sounds like you two live in the opposite situation of Edinburgh; we've got more buses than we know what to do with.  the roads are full of them, especially when the new 100-seater ones get stuck on the older narrow streets and nothing can get past them .....

Back on-topic - a forty feet long model set in the Fens could really capture the atmosphere, but you me need a church or village hall to set it up.

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 2

I've been unhappy with the colour of the sugar beet loads since I first put them in wagons some years ago. This week seems to be a time for getting small jobs done on the layout but ones that can make a real difference. After a repaint this is how they look.

880318411_sugarbeetload1.jpg.2ebbf3cbfb1572183816ce56207a28b9.jpg

1615050102_Sugarbeetload2.jpg.d39397329ad86aedcebdc89993817bdc.jpg

I will try and take some photos that show the shading of the colouring better.

By the end of this week I hope to have begun a new fiddle yard

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, 31A said:

How are the sugar beet loads actually made?  I know somebody who used grape pips, but that was in O gauge!

Came from Ten Commandments I think, came in a set of three. 

Martyn

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2