mullie

Pott Row and Upbech St Mary a journey through 00 and then into EM

Nothing worth photographing but all track is now laid, chairs soldered on both sides and droppers added so wiring can commence. This included a new fiddle yard access road.

• Like 3

Sounds promising Martyn. 

At this rate you will be finished by Sunday..............cough, cough.......

Rob 

• Informative/Useful 1

Not finished but all pieces of track have now been wired up, each piece of track has its own dropper. Not simply two wires even though the layout is wired for DCC. Now need to install switches for wire in tube point control and wire them up for polarity control.

IMG_20190811_154958569.jpg.5b5d768689c64320bd97165364f98148.jpg

IMG_20190811_154952380.jpg.1ba4e61640f1b1a994e29b1c4581b795.jpg

The drop down magnets are visible again for use by both S&W and Kadee couplings. Why the need for both? When I decided to go EM I expected to have my urban Rickett Street layout up and running before this one because dropping wheel sets into rtr diesels is easier than converting steam locos. That layout was to be a test bed for Kadee couplers, something I've always wanted to try.  However, when I discovered that Bullants could be regauged by pulling out the wheels and adjusting the pick ups plans changed and now it seems likely that Rickett Street may not be rebuilt at all in its current form, only time will tell.

Trains running again by the end of the week with a bit of luck. With the two sets of stock this layout could be run in a late 40s/ early 50s time frame and post steam which happened early in East Anglia.

I've also been watching quite a lot of US short line videos, now that is a dangerous path!

Martyn

• Like 4

Good to see you're getting somewhere, looking forward to seeing how you do your point control, thats something I can never quite feel confident about.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

The drop-down magnets look interesting, how do you bring them up?

22 minutes ago, mjcampbell said:

The drop-down magnets look interesting, how do you bring them up?

If you look closely at the photos you just might be able to make out that I drilled a hole in the magnet, inserted a short brass screw, soldered a piece of wire to them and ran it out to the front of the layout. I might create some sort of handle at the front. Pulling the wire pulls the magnet up into position under the track. I can try and get some better photos if you wish, please ask.

Tests so far seem encouraging, to be honest I never expected to be able to run S&W and Kadee couplings on the same layout and had planned to build two different ones. Rickett Street was an urban layout, though originally set in the area around Olympia, the scenics owed more to the East London line, a route I know well from my University days in New Cross. It was planned to set it around 1967, the end of steam on the southern, a  theme I would like to return to though I need to sort out my geography and either set it in East or South London.

Hope this helps

Martyn

• Like 1

First test run successfully completed including into the fiddle yard.  Now to give the track a thorough clean and try it with a variety of stock and couplings before reinstating the scenery.

IMG_20190814_202050649.jpg.d25c6f75fbe92ddf21d6238d931c5328.jpg

• Like 5

Great stuff Martyn. 

Splendid Bohemian backscene as well!!

Rob. 

• Thanks 1

Time warp time!

This stock hasn't been run for over a year though it has since been equipped with Kadee couplings. These views show wagons coupled and uncoupled using the hinged magnets. One magnet works fine, the other needs a bit of adjustment that I hope to do tonight.

IMG_20190816_164259613.jpg.66c83da4127da099e62f4cd67ee0addf.jpg

IMG_20190816_164331243.jpg.7161b7dec5c3fd8b39be25b09c34490b.jpg

An interloper that really shouldn't be in East Anglia, the Derby Lightweight is still awaiting conversion. The 127 simply had its wheels pulled out on the axes and some new pick ups added. I will probably use the Branchlines wheels for the lightweight as this seems quite straight forward.

IMG_20190816_163410498.jpg.3c1e87bce13c2aab8b714ecc577a1d91.jpg

But at least we have progress. The plan is to test the track over the next two weeks, then put the back scene boards back so scenic work can start in the autumn whilst developing further stock.

Edited by mullie
  • Like 9

On 12/08/2019 at 22:49, mullie said:

If you look closely at the photos you just might be able to make out that I drilled a hole in the magnet, inserted a short brass screw, soldered a piece of wire to them and ran it out to the front of the layout.

Ah, pull-string technology! Simple, but little to go wrong. Might have to copy that...