Upbech St Mary, Upbech Drove and Pott Row a journey through 00 and then into EM and 009.

mullie

I think the new lighting has improved the chances of a decent photograph. I don't edit my photos apart from the occasional cropping as I don't have the time.

Shot today shows the J65 arriving with a train of fruit from the fens for the jam factory.

post-12773-0-82450200-1381600461_thumb.jpg

I think in the longer term I would like to have a go at building a Comet chassis to go under this loco (needs shortening at the front) as the chassis was picked up cheap on Ebay and it runs OK but is not great. Seems to need quite a shot of power to get it moving. I might just reset all the CVs back to factory and start again as the tweaks I've made aren't helping.

• Like 5

Some unexpected time today, no exiting photographs, just the things that enable the layout to work better:

Thoroughly cleaned the track,

Re gauged part of a three way point as it had been causing derailments:gauge a bit tight.

Finalised the position of the connectors for the LED lighting on the station board. As the lid is hinged I use simple connectors for the lighting so the lid can be lifted if required.

Put the housings back on the plugs used to connect the baseboards. They had been removed whilst I sorted out the lighting.

Still trying to decide the best way to hide the fiddle yard exit at the left hand end. Don't want a bridge and space a bit tight for a building. Might just build an embankment. This would also stop the stock falling off the layout if I have a serious derailment. Don't know yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I read on another thread that the spud bogie was almost impossible to tame under DCC. This is my attempt under the Silver Fox J70 and using A DCC Concepts decoder with Stay Alive. I have changed a number of setting including start, mid and upper voltages following the instructions with the decoder and changed some motor settings according to another post somewhere on RM Web (can't remember where but pasted them into a note on the IPAD back in the summer).

Interestingly the loco does stall in the middle of this film but the stay alive kicks in and starts it up again. The flickering seems to be as a result of the LED lighting, I will need to look into why it is happening and what can be done about it as I've not filmed since it was installed.

The track is very clean at the moment which helps, only time will tell if this works in the long term but results look promising and the trams are being used to shunt the Jam Factory at the moment to test the success of the changes.

• Like 1

Some time ago I decided I wanted to do something other than use bridges etc as  scenic breaks so as part of the Allan Downes challenge I have been building a cottage back 'loosely' based on Allan's ideas with a bit of Mike Gill thrown in for good measure. An exercise in card, manilla envelopes, scalescenes papers and Wills windows. Eventually it will have a pantile roof using Wills sheets. Flint walls are appropriate for the area where the layout is loosely set. This will form a view  block for the left hand fiddle yard. There is also an outhouse to go with it. The building will be built on a sub base as it may need to be removable due to the need to store the fiddle yard. Photos of progress below for those who haven't seen the Allan Downes thread.

2013 Challenge- The Allan Downes Experience

post-12773-0-61000800-1382898711_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-34966100-1382898724_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-84958500-1382898738_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Added two lights to the MPD board today and a lamp on the buffer stop unfortunately not visible in these photos. However, they do show how the layout can be worked in the dark or with subdued lighting. The whole layout LED lighting is worked form the trusty H&M Duette now around 35 years old! The water tower is Peco, much modified to look like one that stood at North Walsham although it still needs finishing. The wagon is an ancient Slaters MR open wagon built around 30 years ago and the LNER van body is a Kirk kit of a similar vintage. There is still much to do on this board including finishing the ash pit. I do plan to build a small coal stage probably based on Walton on the Naze for which I have the plans but have decided not to include the engine shed as I think the scene will be too crowded. The BoB is part of the 1948 loco exchanges and is here for turning as it is really too big for the depot. 

post-12773-0-38804400-1383064414_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-52312800-1383064402.jpg

• Like 4

This layout is becoming better every time I look into here, Mullie!

The new lighting changes the general atmosphere to the clearer side, the new lights in the MPD board really open the door to a new mode of operations.

Thank you for letting us participate and keep up the VERY good work!

Cheers

Armin

• Like 1

Another short video showing operations on the layout. This time, having completed the shunt, the J39 leaves with a short goods train. The edit isn't great as Movie Maker keeps crashing, hate that programme, don't usually use it, will try to work in something else in future.

• Like 1

The cottage is closer to completion, now need to add down pipes and sort out the setting. The outhouse can also be seen here, this has a corrugated iron roof. I plan to put up a flint wall around the rear yard and mount the whole thing on a sub base as it will need to be removable. Looks like it will work as a view block as the entry to the fiddle yard now can't be seen.  Join in the backscene won't be visible once this part is completed.

post-12773-0-40248900-1383474104.jpg

Light improved so I took some photos of the cottage away from the layout to show recent progress

post-12773-0-33240300-1383482039_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-07885100-1383482053_thumb.jpg

Edited by mullie
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

I've really enjoyed working on the cottage  as part of the 2013 challenge. The best part is that it made me completely reconsider the exit to my layout. Like most people I looked at the conventional things such as bridges and tunnels. What I've created here is a view blocker that in my view will be more effective.

Due to file size restrictions I've created a slideshow on You tube of the final model. There is no washing on the line as that would mean the model would have to be set on a Monday, the year is irrelevant until the advent of modern washing machines, it would have to be a Monday. This was the traditional wash day at least in the part of the world where I grew up. The washing line is even slightly wonky as this seems to be how most of them were.

I didn't buy anything for this project apart from some model scene dustbins which were toned down with games workshop washes and Scalescenes flint paper. Everything else came from the spares box. The two birds are eyeing up the veg and what is not visible in this shot is the bird cr*p painted on the ridge!

Garden is garden wire, Woodland Scenics, static grass, hanging basket liner, on a bed of DAS modeling clay painted with artists acrylics. Washing line is cocktail sticks and handrail wire coloured with artists pastels. Inspiration came from looking at Stiffkey in Norfolk though it looks nothing like anything there. Basic dimensions taken from a 'Downes' article then concocted into what you now see. In other words, modelling in the best Blue Peter traditions!!

• Like 5

Little bit more progress this week. Where I removed the over bridge there was a gap at the end of the board before it moves onto the MPD board. I felt an extension of the factory would be best and as I had some Wills water tank parts left over from a previous layout I knocked up a water tank for the factory by re jigging the tank parts and adding a scratch built base from card using Scalescenes papers. This was then weathered with charcoal, pastels and water colour pencils. Interesting contrast of brick colours as we have improved our printer since the factory was built. my excuse is that they were built at different times!

This is the context or whole of this part of the layout:

post-12773-0-47724200-1385815278_thumb.jpg

The part where the water tank is to go:

post-12773-0-04893100-1385815291_thumb.jpg

Tank in place though not fixed. As it straddles and camouflages the baseboard joint it will need to be removable:

post-12773-0-10742400-1385815311_thumb.jpg

Ground treatment using Das clay added. Now needs to dry so it can be treated and blended in:

post-12773-0-99186500-1385815326_thumb.jpg

The recent change to LED lighting means the layout can be operated at night. Works best if they are turned right down rather than completely off. This may not be a great shot but it gives some idea of the atmosphere created. Tried using a tripod but wasn't able to get the tripod high enough or find something to stand it on. Might have to try again

post-12773-0-11631700-1385815259_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Put my order into Father Christmas today. Ordered a Bachmann 4f and at some point next year will order the J11. I have some fantastic shots of both types at South Lynn in the early 50s and if they got to Lynn they can be seen at Pott Row.

Not much work has been done on stock this year due to the need to construct the layout but now it has turned colder I only venture out in the garage 2-3 times a week for operating sessions. Therefore, I've turned my attention to things that can be done in the warm such as the cottage detailed in previous posts. Lately I've been working on some brake vans as part of back dating the layout to the early 50s period as they are more likely to be grouping period rather than the latest standard designs.

First shots show a Parkside LNER brake, a type they don't make any more I believe. It survived a fall to the garage floor but currently has just three buffers and as it was built around twelve years ago is due some attention. All the handrails which were already wire are being replaced, foot boards need replacing on one side and I would like to improve the handrail layout and roof detail.

post-12773-0-12664700-1386434602_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-61141800-1386434618_thumb.jpg

Next is an old Airfix brake van picked up cheap on Ebay. This is being back dated to look more like an LNER toad. This is not going to be an accurate model but should look something like it's meant to. Separate handrails are being fitted, foot boards have been shortened and again roof detail will be improved.  Inspiration came from a photo of a similar conversion on the excellent Juniper Hill layout. Whose idea was it to mould it in red!

post-12773-0-14587700-1386434632_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-32961400-1386434645_thumb.jpg

For both conversions I am using various internet references including the Paul Bartlett site. Neither model will be an exact model but like all my models it is an attempt to catch the 'flavour' of the prototype. I'm no good at the really technical stuff so work within my limitations.

• Like 2

I've learnt that the best way to ensure good running is to spend a decent amount of time on a regular basis cleaning the track. Today was that day! The layout is broken down into its component sections and each section thoroughly cleaned with a track rubber. The layout is then hoovered (yes really) to remove any residual bits and dust etc.

As detailed in an earlier post there is always a small piece of cloth with a few drops of rail zip which all stock runs over on a regular basis. This has proved to be a very good way of keeping wheels clean but no substitute for a thorough clean of the track.

I am also quite ruthless in terms of stock. Anything that derails or doesn't run well is temporarily withdrawn until the problem is addressed. Thankfully the layout is small, so even though there is not a lot of stock things can be held back if not running correctly.

The 4f has arrived though I'm not allowed it until Christmas Day! I already have a decoder in stock so it should be up and running more or less straight away. As it is the 'as preserved' version it will need backdating weathering and re numbering.

Been playing around with the Airfix brake van so it looks something like its LNER equivalent. I will have to modify the roof once I have the correct ventilators but in the meantime this is progress so far. Painting now needs to be completed, couplings added, numbered etc.

post-12773-0-23068600-1387566111_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-46100000-1387566125_thumb.jpg

I really shouldn't take photos so close they really are brutal. Still quite a lot of dry brushing etc to do, still need something to do over Christmas!!!

Edited by mullie
  • Like 3

Brake van took its place on the layout today. Colour will need tweaking a bit as it appears a bit light under the layout LED lighting. Transfers for numbering will be ordered in the new year and I will order the bits required to modify the roof. 

The J70s now run on a DCC only setting that stops the surging/jumping they have been prone to which also means the stay alive works in a much smoother way. The CV settings have been modified to slow the spud bogie down massively; all changes made on the recommendation of the DCC concepts thread on RM web. They have been packed out with lead and though pulling power is still not great they run an awful lot better and can be used to shunt the jam factory

post-12773-0-60566200-1387643114_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-06416800-1387643137_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Unwrapped a Bachmann 4f (Fowler tender), Thomas Moy ex PO wagon and branch lines around Wisbech by Andrew Ingram. Bit of a theme going on methinks.

I've also bought the latest copy of BRM for the detailing article by Tony Wright although detailing and weathering is some way down the list. Coupling loops however, will be installed on Friday so the loco can be chipped and tried on the layout. Loco has already been test run, chip and adaptor from 21 to 8 pin purchased.

Needless to say I buy most of my own presents!!

Edited by mullie

Tried to chip the 4f today and came up with a new problem. My locos mainly use TCS chips so as I have a couple of T1s in stock I thought it would be a simple matter of using a converter plug to get from 8 to 21 pins. However the converter plug made everything just a shade too high so the tender body no longer fitted.

I've ordered a Lenz silver which should hopefully arrive in the next few days and I'll save the T1s for other projects. I have done some research on decoders today and it is still clear you do get what you pay for with decoders. My Hornby 08 has a Lenz gold that is quite a few years old so I thought I would try a silver as the spec looked good and I haven't used one before.

Happy Christmas

Edited by mullie

• 2 weeks later...

I've spent much of the year getting the layout to run better. Building my own track was a major step and I do attach a lot of importance to good running. Before Christmas I spent time cleaning the track and today I've gone through every piece of stock adjusting couplings and replacing any missing staples that I use to attract the magnets on the S&W couplings. The packet of Bambi staples I use must be over 25 years old!

The plan for 2014 is to work on the scenics for the mpd board and I want to be absolutely sure it all works as I want before laying ballast. Some of the gauge on the pointwork was just a little tight so that has been eased this week and I solved the mysterious gauge tightening on the three way points on the main board. It only showed up when the points were thrown a certain way.

My youngest daughter upgraded her camera at Christmas so I have been playing with her cast off. Nothing really new but some interesting views I hope.

The 4mts represent state of the art technology for the period whilst the J70s are coming to the end of their time. The 4f is seen for the first time though it needs coupling loops (doing that tonight), renumbering and like all newer locos it needs weathering. All wagons are now grouping/ ex po wagons, no BR standards and the brake vans are also from the LNER period. The idea is to catch the feel of the 1948-55 period. Wagons are all weathered as is half the coaching stock, just need to catch up with the locos.

Edited by mullie
  • Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

Not posted for around a month but some progress has been made. I've been working on the second view blocker, based on a flint barn near Brancaster. This is the progress so far:

post-12773-0-82051400-1391356594_thumb.jpg

The second photo shows the building in place and yes you can only see the back! Still lots to do.

post-12773-0-28627800-1391356609_thumb.jpg

(Edited to insert photos)

Edited by mullie
  • Like 1

There are only so many photos you can take of a layout this small so I thought I would share with you some of the trains that run on the layout. This is essentially a branch platform of a junction station so things can be a a bit more leisurely. No loco ever pulls onto stock and departs immediately though the shunting process is speeded up, I learnt a lot from reading 'Railway Operation for the Modeller' by Bob Essery. A typical sequence is as follows:

J70 arrives with short freight from the fens (The spud has very poor pulling power even when packed with lead!)

post-12773-0-06977400-1391362069_thumb.jpg

Working with the other J70 the train is shunted and the other J70 gets ready to take the return working. They are not allowed to block the main running line as passenger trains arrive and depart whilst the shunt is in progress. The J70s are serviced within the jam factory not in the mpd, at the moment out of view.

post-12773-0-65745400-1391362082_thumb.jpg

The tram is seen ready for departure, this is now the other J70.

post-12773-0-80530100-1391362105_thumb.jpg.

Next photo shows a more unusual view of the train sat in the loop awaiting departure.

post-12773-0-85340200-1391362124_thumb.jpg

Last photo shows the arrival of the Derby Lightweight. The two were as far as I know never seen together but as the trams lasted until 1955 and the first Lightweights appeared in East Anglia in 1954 I'll live with it! Yes I know I need to change the destination blinds, I also need to weather it!

post-12773-0-55534500-1391362145_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile locos await their next duty in the mpd.

post-12773-0-40618700-1391362160_thumb.jpg

More of this soon. Hope this is of interest.

• Like 6

Another train arriving at Pott Row this time form the M&GN at South Lynn. The 4f has been used to bring the train through though they usually don't go further east than Lynn.

post-12773-0-93505200-1391884931_thumb.jpg

A 4mt, state of the art in the early 50s comes off the mpd to take the return service.

post-12773-0-91240000-1391884966_thumb.jpg

The V3 that usually works the London through coaches moves from the ash pit road to the servicing road where water and coal can be taken if required. The coal stage, when built will be small so large locos don't always take coal. 

post-12773-0-13353700-1391885094_thumb.jpg

The V3 seen by the water tower. This water tower has since been replaced, more of which some other time.

post-12773-0-72648200-1391885189_thumb.jpg

The 4mt is now seen on the front of the train ready to depart.

post-12773-0-22926800-1391885251_thumb.jpg

Having come off the front of the train via the fiddle yard, the 4mt moves through the station for servicing.

post-12773-0-51085600-1391885290_thumb.jpg

The 4f is seen on the ash pit road.

post-12773-0-82013700-1391885340_thumb.jpg

Tail end of the train departing.

post-12773-0-05491300-1391885365_thumb.jpg

All this will take around 30-40 minutes and is done in such a way that there are gaps to allow for things to happen such as brake tests etc for departing trains. The mpd is shunted moving locos between roads. If a loco goes into the fiddle yard there is always a gap before it is seen again. As it runs in and out of the fiddle yard stock runs over a piece of J cloth impregnated with Rail Zip, this helps to keep wheels clean though track still needs a major clean every 4-6 weeks.

I really must straighten the lights!

• Like 4

Still staggers me just how dirty track can get. I know it shares the garage with the car but the layout is completely covered when not in use and i do take steps to keep things clean. Still I know it will run so much better now.

Joys of a small sectional layout is that at least the job is relatively easy.

Finished the other view blocker today. This one is a barn type structure loosely based on those in the Brancaster area of Norfolk. My usual techniques; card covered in Scalescenes paper, Wills roof all mounted on a sub base so it can be removed from the layout when the layout is packed away. building is weathered using watercolour pencils, charcola etc and sealed with Games Workshop purity seal. Scenics are hanging basket liner, Woodland Scenics, some grass tufts and static grass. Various bits of Wills farmyard junk also lay around. 

post-12773-0-53554000-1392404600_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-08011900-1392404661_thumb.jpg

Shame only the back will be seen once on the layout.

• Like 3