Upbech St Mary, Upbech Drove and Pott Row a journey through 00 and then into EM and 009.

mullie

Lovely work Martyn. Can we see some more pics of the water crane as I'm interested to see how you tackled it before starting on mine!

Alex

Hopefully post some later today. Along with the frame of the water tower it was knocked together using bits of brass I had laying around. I think it was inspired by Upwell loosely based on photos in the Railway Byelines two part article of some years ago.

Hopefully post some later today. Along with the frame of the water tower it was knocked together using bits of brass I had laying around. I think it was inspired by Upwell loosely based on photos in the Railway Byelines two part article of some years ago.

Thanks. I've got some 3mm brass tube and 46444 of this parish gave me some etched hand wheels which I plan to use as a starting point. I'm going to study yours first though!

Alex

Ok here goes.

The water crane and general layout of the stabling point were inspired by a photo in Railway Byelines at Upwell. the water crane is bodged out of bits of scrap brass and tissue paper. The water tower is Wills panels with a scratch built support again from scraps of brass. The fire devil is a kit, it is positioned close to the water tower like the one at Upwell. I only have one and it is too tall for the water crane though Upwell did have one. The ladder was found in the scrap box and is etched brass. There wasn't room to use a tender body for the water tower and I didn't have a suitable prototype to hand.

post-12773-0-25086000-1546628661_thumb.jpg

A Wills platelayers hut was found in a box and seems to blend well. I experimented with a range of small buildings including a pill box, this seemed to fit in better than the others. The workbench is also Wills I think complete with a vice. Ground cover will be added soon. I am no rivet counter and would very much describe myself as a 'broad brush' modeller, no surprise I suppose given over thirty years as a musician/performing arts educator. I tend to look at the overall composition, if it seems right I leave it.

post-12773-0-38882900-1546628898_thumb.jpg

Another shot showing how the hut sits in relation to the watering arrangements. 

post-12773-0-71589000-1546629139_thumb.jpg

The siding is protected by a ground signal, also put in today.

Edited by mullie
  • Like 17

The garage is very cold so modelling is in short shifts or jobs that can be done in the warm. Scenic detailing continues and I still have a tree to scratch built but how about some Fen land tranquility for a Saturday afternoon?

post-12773-0-91587300-1547306853_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-57760700-1547306862_thumb.jpg

Pretty much everything is scratch or kit built, even the Bachmann open wagon has its wheel set opened out to EM and S&W mk 1 couplings modified to auto uncouple. The photos were taken with my phone and given a slightly vintage feel.

Thanks for looking.

Martyn

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Hi Martyn,

Can I just ask, what is the source of the bench/vice in the top picture?

Cheers,

Rob.

*****Apologies just re read the earlier post........doh!*****

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 1

Hi Martyn,

Can I just ask, what is the source of the bench/vice in the top picture?

Cheers,

Rob.

*****Apologies just re read the earlier post........doh!*****

I think it was in a kit of workshop parts made by either Gem of Wills I picked up some years ago.

Martyn

A view at the opposite end, the station building end and entrance to the yard. The tree is scratch built from wire and various bits covered in woodland scenics foliage and various other bits fixed in place with PVA initially then hairspray. Makes the garage smell lovely!

post-12773-0-65992600-1547762159_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

A small amount of detailing has taken place, it is important not to overdo it in such a small space.

post-12773-0-40094000-1547901380_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-04106500-1547901393_thumb.jpg

Figures are ancient Airfix taken from a sprue attached to the front of the Airfix railway modelling magazine I think and they do scrub up surprisingly well.

• Like 12

The toad brake  van has some EM wheels under it. There seem to be no Gibson 3 hole disc wheels available in EM so it is currently running with spoked wheels and 4mm couplings as it is too cold in the garage to be out there soldering couplings but it is running on the layout. The 4mm couplings seem enormous compared to what I'm now using.

post-12773-0-56998600-1548609782_thumb.jpg

A shot showing some wagons on the quayside. The water still has to be varnished, I'm not taking any chances that it won't dry clear because of the low temperature. This job will have to wait until spring.

post-12773-0-71578700-1548609888_thumb.jpg

Passenger services have returned using the Ratio coach bashed into an ex Kelvedon and Tollesbury four wheeler. The wheels on the four wheel coach simply pulled out on their axles, Romford and Bachmann axles usually do this Hornby don't and have to be replaced. Feel a bit of a fraud really that it is so easy to convert to EM. Occasionally the brakes need a small amount of filing. Of course converting locos is more challenging but the tram wheels were also pulled out on their axles and the pick ups adjusted.

post-12773-0-43527900-1548610068_thumb.jpg

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I do like the water feature Martyn.

Very nice. I hope you don't mind but I have tweaked a couple of your images.

Rob.

post-14122-0-59355200-1548613044.jpg

post-14122-0-14375000-1548613064.jpg

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, sharris said:

It certainly works a lot better now on my antique (in phone years) iPhone 5. No more disappearing off the edges.

Edited by hayfield
Sorry posted on the wrong thread, still I have found pot row and a stunning set of photos, shows off the modelling skill ever so well
  • Thanks 1

J15 now running in EM with a Gibson wheel set successfully navigated the layout today. To be honest, the loco is too big for this layout and has to bring in its train 'Snape' style propelling with a brake van at the front. Now need to choose an identity for it, renumber, weather and add crew.

IMG_20190210_113417704_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg.887e465ab6edee2d339506447b9de13d.jpg

• Like 13

Took the decision over the weekend to make a start on rebuilding Pott Row this year. Base Boards might be started as early as Easter though it will take much of the year to build the point work. The track plan won't be dissimilar to the previous version, maybe slightly longer and wider. Wells next the Sea has fascinated me for years with its combined goods and engine shed so that might feature somewhere and I want my scratch built station building based on Cressing to face forward. It seemed such a waste to have spent all that time scratch building to only see the back.

The station might even be a terminus, who knows?

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1