Upbech St Mary, Upbech Drove and Pott Row a journey through 00 and then into EM and 009.

mullie

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, mullie said:

Having made some progress with platforms decided to have a go at how the station might look. All structures are scratch built and the factory will be longer once I have joined the two parts together. The back scene is mounting card.

20210506_204802.jpg.9ab9404dde984e02fd3519d5255cddf4.jpg

20210506_204814.jpg.487069206670499e0e36a7d2ee3128fe.jpg

For a mock up it doesn't look too bad, still loads to do.

Anyone know where I can get some high quality non working gas lights ( I don't mean real gas, I am thinking of the Mikes models style lamps)?  I can only find LED ones and I don't want really want to fit working lighting though it looks like I might have to.

Langley Models do some, depending on what pattern you've got in mind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A couple of recently completed wagons. This layout is very much about using and recycling what I already have. These wagons could have been binned years ago but they have been with me since I started modelling around 43 years ago. Over the years they have been test beds for S&W couplings, weathering techniques and dipping my toe into fitting alternative wagon chassis. They are vintage Mainline and the tops are too thick to pass muster as open wagons so I have added tarpaulins. The wagon on the left is the old Persil open wagon, the one on the right a BR seven plank, tarps are Smiths.

20210509_143800.jpg.b33372ce98c46c0993fe92b7ea1853bf.jpg

This is another seven plank this time with a BR tarpaulin for the 1960s period so fitted with Kadees.

20210509_143738.jpg.18abb9af7afd089924ad09708e543f10.jpg

There are sidings where a tarpaulin wagon can go in and out, assuming it has been unloaded and then loaded again. I did think about fitting the ropes but in pretty much all photos I looked at they are next to invisible and I didn't want them to be over scale.

• Like 18

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Very nice. I like the ambience that you're achieving. Down to earth, yet lots of character. I think the subdued colours help a lot to create that effect.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Have you seen the July edition of 'Backtrack'?  There's an article on one of the branches of the MSLR; it's all very Pott Row.

My sincere apologies - this should read 'Bylines' - July 2021 - pages 352-359 - Haughley to Laxfield Branch.

My apologies to anyone who has been looking for the wrong magazine.

Regards,

Alex.

Edited by Alex TM
Correction and apology.
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, Alex TM said:

Hi,

Have you seen the July edition of 'Backtrack'?  There's an article on one of the branches of the MSLR; it's all very Pott Row.

Regards,

Alex.

I like Backtrack so will have to have a look out for it.

Many thanks 

This is one of those projects that come along every so often, I have struggled to get going with this project partly due to pressure of work. Having some time today I finally decided to get on with it.

The brake van is the Cambrian kit with a challenging design of handrails, lamp irons either etched or made from scrap, a suggestion of the brake gear underneath, mostly as suggested by Geoff Kent but I didn't add the extra height. I wonder if the kit has been revised since Geoff wrote his book as the top of the sides and roof seem to have a different profile.

1672237799_SRBrakevan.jpg.b8affd6b46609bcc359eb21192ca27a3.jpg

Next job is to give it a lick of paint and add weight before fixing the roof on.

It is based on one seen at Cromer Beach, I have also have a photo of one seen in the distance at Upwell. It will be added to the 1960s fleet though I don't know any numbers of East Anglian based examples.

Martyn

• Like 11

I have a few kits that fall into the same category as well as a life that also falls into your category. 

I always like to see a proper old brake van and I have a couple in stock. 

It's reminding me to get on with what's on the bench first though!

I don't like to leave projects half finished, once I start something I like to finish it, I have an 08 waiting for some Gibson EM wheels and axles, that is next on the hit list.

Edited by mullie
  • Like 1

The J72 has returned from collecting sugar beet from Upbech and a tarpaulin load from the quayside. The steam stock is getting back into its swing having not been used much since before Christmas. The pick ups on the J72 needed tweaking, it has always been a good runner with its Comet chassis, Mashima motor and High Level gear box.

1572228185_J721_Fotor.jpg.c81c44cf34590547eb2ceb97250f2464.jpg

Preliminary scenic work has started on this board though nothing so far to photograph..

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, wiggoforgold said:

I like the benches. What was the source of them?

Alex

They were bought from a company called Model railway scenes on Ebay. I am currently in Yorkshire as no 2 daughter has moved there.  Will post a link when I get back.  They are currently out of stock. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1