SR Venetian Red on Brake Vans.

AJ'S

Can anyone help with the correct shade of SR Venetian Red.? I have a pot of Railmatch Venetian Red and this is almost the same as the wagon brown but matches the colour shade in the HMRS Livery Register. But all the photos of preserved brake vans in SR livery have a much brighter shade of red nearer Vermilion.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Alec

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone help with the correct shade of SR Venetian Red.? I have a pot of Railmatch Venetian Red and this is almost the same as the wagon brown but matches the colour shade in the HMRS Livery Register. But all the photos of preserved brake vans in SR livery have a much brighter shade of red nearer Vermilion.

If you look at page 45 of the HMRS book, under section 4.7 B : Venetian red "This colour definitely appeared vermilion" [their italics, quoting a private communication of recollection to Alan Blackburn] SNIP "weathering to Strong Reddish Brown" [their bold].

I take this to imply that any red between those two shades is defensible, according to age since repainting, but the browner, so the more other colours should also look a little weathered, too.

Newly painted SR brake van ends are very red, nominally the same as loco buffer beams.

Red however fades quickly and they soon become a reddish brown which has an appearance more like a bauxite red very similar to the later BR van colours.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I own 55170 SR Brake Van, which I've painted in early SR colours.

The question on which shade of red to use for the ends is certainly a hot topic, and there are many different opinions.

I won't go into all the correspondence, but the conclusion that came out of asking many people, including SR Historians, who had seriously studied the subject, was that the closest was 'Post Office Red' equivalent.

Hope that helps - !

See http://hardmanrail.zenfolio.com/ for some pictures.

Andy

Archived