Fetch me a boiler trolly and make it snappy...

Hi All,

Having looked through the increasingly short list of Little Didcot’s wagon fleet list, it seemed that I had all the bits I needed to do CROCODILE F No. 41934 and it is an interesting vehicle so that leapt to the head of the line! It’s one of those “because I can” type reasons...

The CROCODILE series of vehicles live in the C Wagon Diagrams which are usually long, bogie well wagon types. They are referred to by all sorts of different titles including the aforementioned well wagon, awkward loads wagons and boiler trolleys. The 1908 Diagram C12 example at Didcot was built under Lot 594 and is usually referred to under this latter category. It has a carrying capacity of 25 tons, although there were versions of these wagons that could carry much more.

I guess it would be amiss if we didn’t mention the biggest one of them all here - The CROCODILE L! this multi bogie monster was simply huge! There are some pictures of it if you scroll down here:

http://www.swindonviewpoint.com/sites/default/files/GWR%20S%2018%20Great%20Western%20Crocodile%20bogie%20wagon%20used%20to%20transport%20heavy%20and%20awkward%20loads%20the%20building%20is%20the%20General%20Offices.jpg

I like mentioning this vehicle as although there was only ever one (No. 41977) built, it was the only wagon that had 2 diagrams! It had a pivot set between two bogies each end and there were 2 interchangeable centre sections (stored on old coach bogies at Swindon when not in use). Fitting the straight type girders made it a C24 and using the well type girders made it a C25. Not relevant to our current conversation but interesting none the less! I’ve had more than one of my friends mention this monster as a future project so maybe one day...

Back to the current plot. The life of No. 41934 should have been a sedate one, deliving boilers where required at a sedate 25mph until boilers were no longer needed. This wasn’t to be however as in 1939, the foreign policies of certain European nations and host interactions really wasn’t going very well...

post-14393-0-12832000-1520081961_thumb.jpeg

If you know anything of WWII history, you will know that the British Expeditionary Force was sent to France to try to stem the tide of the German advances. As part of the various forms of equipment that were requisitioned for this effort was a pair of GWR C12 CROCODILE L wagons, one of which was No. 41934. The German Blitzkrieg tactics swept all before them and soon the miracle of the Little ships and the Dunkirk evacuation (if you haven’t seen the recent movie then give it a go - it’s very watchable!) was performed. However, the vast majority of the BEF’s equipment was left behind. That which wasn’t destroyed was used by the enemy and this included No. 41934. Like the rest of Europe, it has to wait until after June of 1944 to be liberated and in an unlikely turn of fate, it was returned home after hostilities ended. After that, it was back to business as usual and eventual preservation but what a great story it has given it to tell! It continues to serve in its role as a boiler trolley on the GWS locomotive works at well over 100 years old and counting at the time of writing. They built them to last back then...

For the model version of No. 41934, I turned to the old but more than serviceable Mainline / Bachmann moulding. I got two as, well, why not? I have a friend who wants to do a large CROCODILE too so I’m going to cut them both at the same time. I have the correct size section styrene to make new lower sides and some other sections to detail the new parts. I also have a set of working square shank coach style buffers that I have had in stock for a long time and I can’t remember where they came from (possibly MRD?).

According to the erstwhile Miss P’s site, this represents a Diagram C23 or C27 vehicle. This is more than a little bit shorter than the C12, not even looking at the incorrect strengthened bogies and the big differences in the well sides...

post-14393-0-35231800-1520082059_thumb.jpeg

...however, the upper and curved sections are pretty darn close. Out with the scalpel! I did both at the same time.

post-14393-0-97771200-1520082176_thumb.jpeg

Further chopping...

post-14393-0-15863700-1520082355_thumb.jpeg

Then we had a quick check against the drawings in the wagon bible. Still a little long me thinks...

post-14393-0-75772900-1520082397_thumb.jpeg

That’s more like it! New sides added in.

post-14393-0-54729200-1520082437_thumb.jpeg

I then mocked it up using the original bogies.

post-14393-0-31648000-1520082528_thumb.jpeg

I then ‘enjoyed’ marking out and drilling out all 50 of the holes in the side rails!

post-14393-0-39021500-1520082586_thumb.jpeg

Using sheet, strip and T section styrene, I cut out the remaining bits of old floor and added in a new one. The L version also has cut outs in the upper decks and this requires a new C section letting in and I also recovered the inner ends as they had a lot of nice sign writing on them and the picture of a CROCODILE L I have in BR livery in one of the Russell books shows this in place. I removed the end with a slitting disc. I also trimmed out the weight / bogie pivot so it would fit. The pivot won’t fit the replacement Cambrian bogies but I wanted to know it was possible. It is. The buffers also got fitted which caused even more metal to be trimmed away. Then I had to fit the scale couplings so even more of it had to go. You can do it, it leaves just a strip in the middle. I then tried it on a pair of large radius points I have. In terms of movement and gauging - no problems. BUT, the amount of weight that I have had to remove means that it is too light. There is also no room anywhere easy to replace that weight. What to do?

post-14393-0-39021500-1520082586_thumb.jpeg

Then I thought it was about time I thought about the load. I mocked that up using a slice of plastic pipe. This is where a thought crossed my mind. Why not make the load heavy? By the time it has had all the chains and shackles added, I won’t want it to come off again any time soon so it’s effectively part of the model. Problem solved! I think that will need a bit better load though - a boiler perhaps?

post-14393-0-21089500-1520082873_thumb.jpeg

The Cambrian bogies and their pivots were fitted and that left almost none of the original weights left. A pack of two Bachmann boiler loads were raided, chopped and fused together. Two styrene tubes were filled with liquid gravity and a bit of superglue and they were fixed in before the end was seal in place. That’s the heavy construction over and done with - we are down to details and paint now.

post-14393-0-19871300-1520082933_thumb.jpeg

The only permanent tie down points on the wagon are four rings, two each end on the upper deck sides. I made them from shoulderless boiler handrail knobs and some thin signal wire. This was a wee bit fiddly.

post-14393-0-72662000-1520083042_thumb.jpeg

A few more little items later and we have some grey primer on the wagon as it’s going to be, er, grey (with black bogies)...

post-14393-0-65403400-1520083169_thumb.jpeg

... and the boiler load gets a coat of red oxide to represent the red lead undercoats of yesteryear.

post-14393-0-04918100-1520083305_thumb.jpeg

A dose of rivet transfers and top coat later and we are here!

post-14393-0-94917200-1520083435_thumb.jpeg

post-14393-0-95576500-1520083488_thumb.jpeg

The small black stripes and then a coat of varnish enabled more work with tiny little letters. This time I had a go with transfers from the Railtec range and very nice they are too. Well done Steve and Co!

post-14393-0-18977800-1520083555_thumb.jpeg

The real thing has holes in the top of the ribs for fixing D type shackles as you can see here.

post-14393-0-34998700-1520083662_thumb.jpeg

I made some representations of these using some Smith’s scale screw link couplings. This was also a wee bit fiddly.

post-14393-0-99604800-1520083715_thumb.jpeg

A smattering of weathering and the shackles are added and we are ready to start loading!

post-14393-0-21951800-1520083828_thumb.jpeg

The boiler load was then added. I have lightly enhanced this with weathering powders but I was careful to make a large difference between the heavy weathering of the wagon and the lighter weathering of the much newer boiler load. I also added some balsa strips to represent the packing that the boiler sits on and removed the four end D shackles as they weren’t needed as the boiler isn’t that long. I wish I’d thought of that before I cut two serviceable screw link couplings in half...

post-14393-0-58984800-1520083880_thumb.jpeg

A frustrating hour or so fiddling with tiny chains (it really looks the business but it is a PAIN to do!) results in a finished CROCODILE!

post-14393-0-98968800-1520083980_thumb.jpeg

Well, that’s another one I haven’t seen done in 4mm scale before (cue 20+ pictures from people that have one in their collection!) and another small step closer to a finished set of Didcot wagons! The list is really small now. Just 4 wagons from the historic fleet, two more breakdown train tenders and the BR well wagon from the service fleet. Wow - I never thought I would get this far!

So there we are, 54 down and 7 to go!

All the best,

Castle

PS: I’ve been thinking about a few random posts about my philosophy of my way of modelling (by no means the right one!). Would that be if any interest?

Edited by Castle
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

PS: I’ve been thinking about a few random posts about my philosophy of my way of modelling (by no means the right one!). Would that be if any interest?

Yes please.

Earlier this morning I was wondering how many more items were left to re-create in the inventory, and also "what's next?"

Impressive that you achieve this and the 12":1' stuff as well.

Hi Tinker,

Thanks for those kind words! It is really appreciated. I will sort out a few notes (along with the to do list) and post it up sometime this weekend.

All the best,

Castle

Castle

Excellent job.  :D

I have sat on, climbed over, even ridden on that wagon more times than I care to remember, but I never realised it had such and interesting past.

Cheers Bryan!

It is a fascinating tale isn’t it? If you look up the wagon in the stock lists at the start of the combined wagon book you can actually trace the incident. Two taken off role to go to France, one returned.

All the best,

Castle

Hi All,

Here is the state of the union of Little Didcot list(!). These are all based upon the three lists on the GWS / DRC website. There are links to these pages below. Remember that my time period is the GWR/BR(W) cross over period so there are some vehicles that just don’t fit and are therefore ignored. The broad gauge stuff being the most obvious but sadly Shannon and Bonnie Prince Charlie are others. Also on the loco front, I have also included the new build project and the locomotives they were built from as it adds variety to the fleet and extends it in directions it wouldn’t go in otherwise (52XX, extra Halls and large prairie and a visiting 8F). I will assume that Nos. 2999 and 4709 DID exist in the time period. This is to annoy purists when we get a layout going... Those marked with an asterisk have no known (to me at least!) kit or RTR options - answers on a postcard please...

Locos

http://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/guide/locomotives.html

Coaches

http://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/guide/coaches.html

Wagons

http://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/guide/wagons.html

Little Didcot Wagon To Do List:

1. 3030 O58 ROTANK Flat Wagon*

2. 42193 G22 HYDRA Carriage Truck*

3. S4409 Dia.3152 Southern Railway 6 Wheel Milk Tanker*

Brakedown Vehicles - All Parts Acquired.

1. 47 Riding Van

2. 135 Tool Van

Service Vehicles

1. No. 901002 BR(W) WELTROL*

Little Didcot Locomotives To Do List:

1. 1338 0-4-0 Kitson Saddle Tank*

2. 2999 4-6-0 29XX / Saint Class “Lady of Legend”

3. 4709 2-8-0 47XX Class

4. 7202 2-8-2 72XX Class kit build in progress

The ‘Barry 10’ and ‘Saint Project’ Additions.

1. 2861 2-8-0 28XX Class Heavy Freight

2. 4115 2-6-2 5101 Class Large Prairie

3. 48518 2-8-0 8F LMS Heavy Freight

4. 7927 4-6-0 6959 / Modified Hall Class “Willington Hall”

5. 4943 4-6-0 49XX Hall Class “Maindy Hall”

Cranes

1. RS 1054 50 Ton Steam Breakdown Crane

2. 205 GWR 12 Ton Hand Crane and Match Truck

3. 537 GWR 3 Ton Hand Crane

Little Didcot Coaches To Do List:

Actually - it’s easier to list what is finished here (D’oh!)...

1. 111 Collett Full Brake

2. 190 Collett Autotrailler

3. 231 Hawksworth Autotrailler

4. 290 Dean 4-Wheel Composite (departmental service)

5. 2796 Collett SIPHON G Bogie Milk Van

6. 9118 Princess Elizabeth Super Saloon

The rest is still so do! The only one I can’t find a use for in the main historic list is the remains of the original broad gauge body. I can find uses for nearly everything else either in departmental service or at least one was a GWR era camping coach. The replica broad gauge stock is obviously no use and the Mk 1, 2 & 3 stock is too late in date to use.

The stuff that needs an asterisk is as follows:

1. Collett Excursion Third No. 1289 to Dia. C74*

2. Collett Brake Third No. 5787 to Dia. D116*

3. Collett Brake Composite No. 7976 to Dia. E114*

4. Medical Officer's coach No. 1159 built to Dia. K36, as modified to Dia. M33*

So, there we are so far! As before, any ideas with the asterisk stuff will be warmly welcomed.

All the best,

Castle

• Like 2

Hi 111,

It’s the snappily titled GWR Goods Wagons by Atkins, Beard and Tourret. I use the most recent combined volume that is a bit pricey at £55 but has almost everything innit you need to model most of the 20th Century goods stock the GWR ever used. The only stuff not in there are the milk tanks, SIPHONS and the other stuff that was in the coach diagrams. The go to book! This is my heavily thumbed (and lightly external weathered due to a small incident involving the dropping of it into some dirt coloured powders - D’oh!) version:

post-14393-0-99884500-1520263653_thumb.jpeg

This is the ISBN:

post-14393-0-57190700-1520263689_thumb.jpeg

The two volume set is a available on line too and might work out cheaper if that’s a concern. The only issue is that not all of the drawings are in there but enough are to build a fair majority of subjects.

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

Castle’s Modelling Musings Volume 1...*

Hi All,

I thought that I would have a go at an interjection of my modelling philosophy every now and again as it sort of underpins what I do here on Little Didcot. It’s probably of little interest to anyone in the history of the known universe ever but still, it might stimulate a conversation! So, for the first time, here we go...

There are lots of really good kits and some really nice RTR stuff out there. This leads me to suspect that, for my wagon fleet, I would be easily satisfied by going to the likes of the Parkside, Ratio and Cambrian ranges, laying down a lump of my hard earned cash and walking away with a selection of really nice kits that almost fall together in most cases and having them trundle about behind my engines without the slightest worry.**

This is of course absolutely fine and there is nothing wrong with this but I do think that by choosing to model the GWS / DRC Collection, it pushed me into areas of personally hitherto unconsidered esoterica (given my trouble with autocorrect, I had to be REALLY careful with that last word...) and makes the selection of interesting projects very easy. Would I have really cared about the fact that the Parkside BLOATER wasn’t a Dia. S10 and was in fact an S8? Would I have gone to the trouble of making ENTIRELY new ends and sides just to get to an S10? Would I have even ventured into the territory of doing an obscure 1952 conversion of a 1905 brake van into an S&T mess van? Would my Little Didcot Ballast Wagons be 4 wagons of 3 different types? Possibly or probably not.

By doing the DRC Collection, what I have unwittingly done it seems is to invent what I am going to call the ‘Fleet Difference Engine’ or possibly an ’Easily Pleased Avoidance System’. Is it just me or does that last one sound slightly iffy? Preservation is, by its nature, a lottery. Sometimes vehicles are preserved for a very specific purpose. No. 1466 and auto trailer No. 231 is a good example, being preserved to fill a very specific hole in what was to have been the national collection. Most of the time however, it’s complete chance. Was Dai Woodham thinking carefully about what he was buying to fill what was to become his South Wales locomotive retirement home? No, of course not. It was a great time to be in scrap metal. He grabbed what he could - making hay while the sun was shining and the fact he didn’t cut it all up at once was yet another random act that had unintended consequences.

The wagon fleet we have in preservation is the same. Some were bought because they were useful. Some lasted a long time in service. Yet more were hidden away in industrial service or departmental yards and so on. Then it had to be noticed by a preservationist who had the time, money and energy to save it and, more importantly to some degree, somewhere for it to go. This all has to happen before it became a nuisance taking up yard space or the thought of weighing it in for a bit of cash became too tempting.

The point I’m obviously making is that the collection is totally random. Would there have been stuff that wasn’t saved that would be nice to have? Sure, given the contents of the ‘wagon bible’ book there are a few things we could have done with. A few more GWR cattle wagons perhaps? A rake of Felix Pole minerals? The CROCODILE L? But what we have is a wide and interesting selection. If your only search parameter is GWR built wagons, the Vintage Carriages Trust Wagon survey returns a huge amount of results! Admittedly, a large chunk of these are grounded van bodies, but there are still a vast selection of complete GWR wagons in preservation, in various states of repair. Not everything is in there but it’s a nice snapshot and what are our models and layouts if they are not just snapshots? There is an existing list of a large part, if not all, of the survivors here too:

http://www.uksteam.info/gwr/wagons.htm

Make that little lot and your fleet would be incredible. Imagine if you had a representative model of each one! I suppose the one big issue is that a wagon fleet of that size, of a wide variety of different types and diagrams is a LOT of work. There goes the rest of my modelling time for the rest of my life! Who needs a layout anyway?*** I don’t think that is feasible or even desirable but it is an interesting thought.

So, what am I saying? I’m not sure! I definitely know I’m not saying that this approach or one like it is exclusive to me - RMWEB is full of evidence to the contrary. I think it might be “open up your GWR/LMS/SR/LNER/BR/other (delete as applicable) wagon book(s), put a pin in randomly and model that! You will find it both challenging and rewarding and it needn’t be expensive either. Or possibly, have a look round the stock lists of our nations plethora of preserved lines and if possible visit the vehicle to both support them and the work they do and take a few pictures. It’s great to be able to actually see and interact with the thing you are modelling. Make sure you contact them first as there are likely to be people there will talk to you about the vehicle and help you. They are usually enthusiasts too! Or I might be saying don’t be satisfied with settling for an S8 when you can reach for that illusive S10! I think the most important thing I’ve learnt doing this is that I didn’t think that building the wagons would be as interesting and absorbing as it has been. I mean, they are ‘just wagons’, but they are small, easily achievable and the more you get into them, the more you want to do. So there you have it I think - jump down the wagon building rabbit hole - it’s not bad in here!

What do you think?

All the best,

Castle

*If Guardians of the Galaxy can start with Volume One then so can I...

**WHEN I get round to actually building a layout...

***Me!

• Like 6

Castle,

As you are aware (I think...) I am intending to do WTC No.5 and BPC as 3D Prints eventually, and reading the above post it struck me that you could probably get away with both! No.5 was owned by the GWR by nationalisation, granted not as a running loco, but it passed to BR all the same (I think?), and you could probably get away with BPC being an industrial.

Just a thought! Though you have got plenty to be getting on with!

Cracking book! That's been my bible too when building wagon. Worth the cost, convinced the wife to buy it for me one Christmas. Mine does look less weathered.

Hi Scott,

I know it really is a one stop shop on most stuff. The reason my copy is what is sometimes euphemistically referred to as ‘pre enjoyed’ (apart from the accident!) was that it’s used by everyone in our little modelling group. The way I look at it though is - it’s no good just sitting on a shelf collecting dust - it must BE enjoyed!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 2

Castle,

As you are aware (I think...) I am intending to do WTC No.5 and BPC as 3D Prints eventually, and reading the above post it struck me that you could probably get away with both! No.5 was owned by the GWR by nationalisation, granted not as a running loco, but it passed to BR all the same (I think?), and you could probably get away with BPC being an industrial.

Just a thought! Though you have got plenty to be getting on with!

Hi SEM34090,

I didn’t know that and I certainly might be interested in Shannon - even just as a static loco. A friend of mine funnily enough asked about BPC the other day and he reads this thread so now he knows! What’s the plan for chassis?

All the best,

Castle

I intend on designing two versions of each model: one adjusted for RTR chassis, the other true-to-scale with a scale chassis to match.

EDIT: The current exception to this, of course, is my current project for the Stockton & Darlington's No.25 'Derwent', but even that is powered by an RTR motor bogie!

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 1

I intend on designing two versions of each model: one adjusted for RTR chassis, the other true-to-scale with a scale chassis to match.

EDIT: The current exception to this, of course, is my current project for the Stockton & Darlington's No.25 'Derwent', but even that is powered by an RTR motor bogie!

Thanks for that SEM34090,

Well you (probably didn’t) heard it here first folks!

I look forward to seeing some CAD drawings! Shannon of course is only 15 tons so could be used as a load on a great many well wagons. She travelled to the Shildon event like this for example, her little wheels and great age meaning she wasn’t expected to get there on her own! To this end, please make the chimney a separate piece and supply printed wheels - that gives you a unique display option. The chimney came off to keep her in gauge.

All the best,

Castle

PS: I don’t suppose I could interest you in making prints for a diagram O58 ROTANK and road wagon, a G22 HYDRA, a 3152 SR Milk Tanker and a BR WELTROL bogie well wagon at all? I could show you a few prototypes...

Worth a try surely?!

And don’t call me Shirley...

Edited by Castle
  • Like 1

Hi SEM34090,

What a REALLY kind offer! I definitely have the drawings and photos for the HYDRA - I will send you a PM later in the week and we can sort something out.

I of course have now remembered that you and I had discussed the loco projects now I think about it. I blame the old age good sir! Like I say, do get in touch if you need anything for that too.

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle

Hi All,

I thought that it might be useful for those interested to have a look at the other popular reference volumes in the Castle Library with regards to the GWR / WR wagon fleet. Let’s have a look at a few oldie but goodies first shall we? These are still available for purchase second hand and can all be tracked down with varying degrees of difficulty. I will include a shot of the front and the back for the (I)SBN numbers.

This one is quite good - lots of interesting pictures in it including some of the weirder stuff likePOLLENs and CROCODILEs in early BR liveries. Something that isn’t that easy to find strangely. I guess works shots in GWR is a given so that’s usually available... Anyway, old book, nice addition to the collection, a few really interesting shots. If you can pick it up at reasonable cost go for it but not essential.

post-14393-0-31073100-1520369128_thumb.jpeg

The rear picture is the one of loads of broad gauge stock at Swindon for breaking up - it’s a classic!

post-14393-0-89034100-1520369438_thumb.jpeg

Next we have the book with the 16 word title! There are some really quite interesting bits in here. Loading of wagons, how to and how not to do it, pictures of all sorts of weird stuff like the S&T mes van conversion I built recently and much more. If you have the wagon bible then this is probably the next one to hunt down.

post-14393-0-77469000-1520369636_thumb.jpeg

post-14393-0-61544300-1520369891_thumb.jpeg

It’s a bit of a porkie to say this is mine because it isn’t (!) but it’s on long term loan from a good friend. This is a really great book as it has several drawings not in the wagon bible. The most important of which is a large selection of most (not the O58 ROTANK sadly - grrrr!) of the GWR milk tankers and a few other bits and pieces. Well worth having to compliment the bible.

post-14393-0-16562300-1520370403_thumb.jpeg

post-14393-0-43143000-1520370437_thumb.jpeg

And finally (as they say on the news), a couple of modern offerings which provide a nice layman’s overview of services and a number of really interesting images too. Again, worth reading if you can lay hands on them for reasonable money. I’m lucky in that my GWS membership gets me 10% off in the DRC bookshop. Subtle membership plug intended...

post-14393-0-35469300-1520370831_thumb.jpeg

post-14393-0-10775600-1520370859_thumb.jpeg

post-14393-0-75220100-1520370882_thumb.jpeg

post-14393-0-80714300-1520370904_thumb.jpeg

My friends here on RMWEB may also be interested in knowing that I haven’t forgotten about the RMWEB Didcot Railway Centre Centre Tour this year - I should have some details about it after Saturday. I’m looking forward to seeing faces old and new!

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle
  • Like 4

Hi Scott,

I liked them and I thought for the sort of thing you or I might get into running a layout they could be very useful. Some people have had differing views (please stick those views here if you can - I’d be interested to hear them!) but on the whole I have enjoyed reading them and wouldn’t say no. There are some cracking pictures in there too from the broad gauge onwards and a lot of different documents and other esoterica that nerds like us love!

All the best,

Castle

Will you be considering a model of 'IRON DUKE' ( please ! ).

It doesn't seen to be on your list.

Hi BGman,

I’d love to have a go one day - I do harbour a not so secret desire to model REALLY early railways. Broad gauge and before that as well. Can you imagine a version of Stephenson’s Rocket done to modern standards now that something the size of the Wickham Trolley is a thing? How about Locomotion or Puffing Billy? Our man SEM34090 here is planning on doing Derwent! It’s an untapped market and I suspect they would sell very well on the novelty (get it!) aspect alone. A little OO version of Trevithick’s first loco (albeit with the flanges in the wrong place - the wheels!) with that huge flywheel and geared drive train would be fascinating to watch go along. I don’t know about you people but I’d definitely have one!

The problem is that there is about 10,000 other things on the to do list before it! I suspect quite a few people want to see a certain 1:1 scale engine get up and go in the not too distant future too! I wouldn’t have anywhere to run broad gauge stock either.* Although if I were to remedy that I do have a plan. I have never seen a broad gauge loco shed layout and I don’t suppose that they were all dirty great Old Oak sized things. Well, they were quite wide by their very nature if you think about it... It certainly would be a unique spin on quite a popular layout trope wouldn’t it? Maybe one day. If that idea appeals to anyone with more time and knowledge of the era than me, then please do it - I think it would be great to see! It would be a great way to showcase the unique motive power of the era.

A final thought. Having remembered this little long forgotten idea that I may never have time to realise, perhaps a thread on the Modelling Musings area entitled something like ‘layout ideas you haven’t got time for but you would really like to see and might be great for someone else’ ** should be a thing?

All the best,

Castle

*Just like all the rest of my stock at the moment so that’s not really a good excuse is it?

** I’ll have GOT to work on that title...

Edited by Castle

• RMweb Gold

Hi Castle, just been catching up with your posts this week, what a feast. It's your fault if I'm late for work now :)

Good to hear that you recommend the two Goods Train Working volumes. I've been close to ordering them a couple of times, but they are not cheap after all. Tony Atkins does great work though.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks. I'll put the books on the list!

I really enjoyed your view on modeling, thanks for posting that too. I always enjoy your bespoke builds, most are very clever and simple at the same time.

Hi All,

Hi Castle, just been catching up with your posts this week, what a feast. It's your fault if I'm late for work now :)

Good to hear that you recommend the two Goods Train Working volumes. I've been close to ordering them a couple of times, but they are not cheap after all. Tony Atkins does great work though.

I’m really sorry I made you late for work - I shall go and sit on the Nod to Brent naughty step and think about what I have done for a while...

Thanks for all the kind words!

Thanks. I'll put the books on the list!

I really enjoyed your view on modeling, thanks for posting that too. I always enjoy your bespoke builds, most are very clever and simple at the same time.

Thanks Scott - nice to know the posts are appreciated! I’ll do some more when I feel the urge. I am interested to know what people think about he content of it too. Very clever and simple eh? I have definitely been described by at least one of those words in the past but I’m not saying which...

All the best,

Castle