• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the kind comments! Go for it - sounds cool! Stick a dub-dee on the list too...

All the best,

Castle

. Already done one of those, an oil 28xx (well 48xx I should say) is likely next, or maybe a rod....

Though spending the money on wagons would probably be more useful

• Like 1

Hi Drew,

Most enjoyable account and upgrade on the 8F, if I were to admit to liking them, which I may or may not be, it is a good looking locomotive.

Now then, more importantly No .2999 "THE" Lady,

Thanks for the heads up and I so wish I could be there to see her appear in public but sadly its not to be, therefore, may I ask if you have the time to take and post a photograph or three for us on here please,  I'm certain they would be extremely well received.

G

Hi Mikkel,

Thanks for the kind words as always! I know what you man about the brass! It always looks kind of cool - especially a fully etched kit! Many is the time that my other half has said “your not going to PAINT that are you?!” She is not always 100% in jest either.

It is a sad tale - having managed to exist - albeit in pretty rough shape - into the twenty first century... I guess it wasn’t to be.

All the best,

Castle

• RMweb Premium

Nice job on the 8f, the Brassmasters bits certainly make a difference

I keep thinking about doing one of the locos built as Swindon and loaned to the GW during the war, the addition of bufferbeam numbers and blue dots make a big improvement!

How long did that loan last for Rich?

• RMweb Gold

Thanks.  I think M.I.B Snr has that tome so I will go hunting next time I am in the Cornish borders.

I really ought to get a copy, it’s only £11 for the electronic version on google books.

However as I ‘should’ be finished with heavy freight for the time being it’s not a priority

Public Service Announcement: This beastie will be on show this weekend only finished in plain black livery. If you want a colour shot that you can photoshop to your hearts content of just want to stand in the presence of this beautiful machine, come and see us at Didcot Railway Centre. No. 2999 Lady of Legend is on display all weekend and the No. 4079 team and I will be on shed and working on our steed on the Saturday. I hope you can make it!

attachicon.gifAB2DFD76-E134-4AE5-862E-F524A892EB81.jpeg

Amazing!

Way back in 1968 when steam was finally withdrawn from British Railways, who could ever have imagined that fifty years later, several hundred would have been restored to working order and that new locomotives would be being built all over the country.

And though I'm an LNER man no-one could dispute the sheer beauty of that Saint or any of the other GWR locos which Didcot has restored or is restoring/building.

Cheers

Mike

Hello Castle,

Earlier this year, me and a friend went ahead and purchased the Hazelwood Models GWR Pollen E wagons as per when they were rebuilt in 1930.

Since we both live far away, I have only received mine this week. Upon looking at them, I was under the thinking that the inner two wagons would've been shorter rather than the same length as the outer wagons. Can you tell me if the inner two wagons were shorter when rebuilt in 1930 or were they extended? It would help me and my friend out before we go ahead and start working on these wagons.

ATB, Garethp8873.

Hi Gareth,

I know what you mean but don’t forget that when they were converted to 2 pairs that the inner wagons had a whole new buffer beam section fabricated and attached. You can still see the differences in the wagons at DRC today. Look also at the position of the brake handles and the structure of the buffer beam addition as it is also different between the originals and rebuilds. The drawings in the wagon bible also concur with this.

When Hazelwood Noel made these kits he worked off photographs taken by me from the real things so in theory they should be right! I hope this helps good sir.

All the best,

Castle

Hi Gareth/Castle

I found a couple of photos I took a while back now (2001) but I don't expect the wagons have changed much, first the original wagon pair showing a continuous plate frame from the buffer beam and the handbrake handle under the buffer beam at both ends: -
post-3433-0-97960600-1543488144.jpg

Then the rebuilt pair with joining plates between the buffer beam framing & the remainder of the wagon; also the handbrake handle is between the axles and in different places on each part of the wagon: -

post-3433-0-02967200-1543488165.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Gareth,

I know what you mean but don’t forget that when they were converted to 2 pairs that the inner wagons had a whole new buffer beam section fabricated and attached. You can still see the differences in the wagons at DRC today. Look also at the position of the brake handles and the structure of the buffer beam addition as it is also different between the originals and rebuilds. The drawings in the wagon bible also concur with this.

When Hazelwood Noel made these kits he worked off photographs taken by me from the real things so in theory they should be right! I hope this helps good sir.

All the best,

Castle

Hi Gareth/Castle

I found a couple of photos I took a while back now (2001) but I don't expect the wagons have changed much, first the original wagon pair showing a continuous plate frame from the buffer beam and the handbrake handle under the buffer beam at both ends: -

attachicon.gifP9300074.JPG

Then the rebuilt pair with joining plates between the buffer beam framing & the remainder of the wagon; also the handbrake handle is between the axles and in different places on each part of the wagon: -

attachicon.gifP9300069.JPG

Thank you both for the information and the the photos. It's as I thought, I have got the 84997 and 85000 sets and my friend has the 84998 and 84999 ones. Hopefully we'll meet soon and get this all sorted :)

• Like 1

Are those Pollens on the broad gauge line? I think it’s the only way you’d get the Castle to fit in them?

Thanks for pointing that out, looks like we have chopped the wheels off as well to make sure it's under 13'1"! :O ;)

Hi All,

Thanks Bryan, that’s saved me a job at the weekend! Guess what I was going to do?

All the best,

Castle

You're more than welcome, I have a number of photos that I took between 1990's and 2010; so if you need anything specific give me a shout. :D

• 2 weeks later...

The Pollen E frames are reputed salvaged from the Broad Gauge wagons.

Guinness Book of Records list the Pollen E as to oldest commissioned

wagons set in Service; that is before they were taken out of Service!

Not only photos of detail by Castle, but also available NRM Drawings and

those published in various of Tourret's books were used for the models

They were produced to "Castle's Approval" - and with 84998 & 84999

opposing Brake Handles faithfully reproduced. WAS IT A BUILD MISTAKE,

adding the Buffer Beam to the wrong and identical end of the second

wagon -  in place of making right & Left handed wagons?

I keep telling myself, "No more diversions, I must get on with my Writhlington

layout!"

- it all started with a 3D experiment to produce a Colliery Wheel - now I have

the S&DJR 25a Dazzler too.

Noel
hazelwoodmodels@hotmail.com

Edited by Dazzler Fan

• 3 months later...
On 17/02/2012 at 15:34, cornamuse said:

you are right Nick - I had forgotten how different the track looked. I had been thinking in terms of using rtr wheels and mechanisms, but the sizes would be all wrong. had been letting my laziness do the talking :)

I seek to recall the John Brewer used much modified Peco OO streamline heavily disguised to about 2.5mm to the foot.  I remember seeing his layout (and it looked v good and ran perfectly) at the Leamington  show.  It must have been in the early 1990s. I’m sure there was a RM article about it.

DrDuncan