Obbekaer & Ribe Skibbroen - P87

Middlepeak

I just took the time to re-watch your film on Obbekaer and was, again, very impressed. Any show worth its salt would welcome your layout.

It has been equally grim over here. I was going to be presenting my new layout as a work in progress at a couple of shows back in 2020 but that didn't happen and the prospect for this year are very much up in the air thanks to a slow roll out of vaccines and variants of concern. On the plus side, the club I belong to is the main (only) one that has British content so I'll be at the front of the line when things do start up again.

Cheers,

David

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst the somewhat monotonous task of track building continues on my P4 model of Friden, I decided to pursue a bit of light relief this week and returned to the RGVJ's latest acquisition.

My model of the Kalvehavebanen's B&W 3-axle diesel is a home grown affair, consisting largely of my own etchings designed from drawings sourced from the Skovbo Jernbane Arkiv and etched by PPD with their customary accuracy and efficiency.

The basic body shell consists of a single folded box of 0.3mm nickel silver with intermediate partitions that slot into the sides and floor.

This week's task has been to solder on the overlays to sides and ends, which are half-etched to create the panelling and door detail. I must admit that I had shyed away from this for a while, but in the end the whole job only took a couple of hours' intermittent work with the soldering iron, 145° solder and plenty of flux. The trick in the design was to have a couple of lines of 2mm square holes etched in to the carcass, which facilitated access to the soldered overlays from the inside of the body.

20210514_162331.jpg.002c0ed1ecf2ae14ab4d66404ba2d9a8.jpg

20210514_162303.jpg.7ff5788cd82e3fb0124bd7dd34a93f39.jpg

There are one or two bits of detail yet to be added, such as door handles, windscreen wipers and number plates. I will also have to devise some method of reproducing the louvred bodyside grilles.

Then it's on to the roof, which will be a major exercise in itself, but that may have to wait until I've perfected some skills with my new rolling mill!

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 4 weeks later...

A plea for help from the depths of the Fens ....... !!!!

I've been puzzling over the vexing question of how to form the roof profile for the above diesel. The ends and intermediate strengtheners give the right profile for the roof, which basically consists of three arcs - two with a tight (2.5mm) radius at the gutter line and a much shallower arc in the middle.

My rolling mill will easily form the central profile, but the problem comes at the edges, where the radius is far too tight for any rollers. The only solution I can come up with is to solder the edge of the roof to a length of 4mm diameter brass rod, clamp the whole thing in a vice and then carefully shape the rounded corner around the rod, using a similar brass profile as a roller. 

The material is an etch in 0.3mm nickel silver, which is half-etched to provide rivet lines across the roof and full thickness beading around all four edges.

Is this the best way of doing it, or can anyone suggest a more suitable alternative?

Regards,

Geraint

I had exactly this problem when building an etched brass class 73 in 3mm scale, I ended up taking the far easier route of throwing the brass roof away  and using a section of plastic coach roof instead:

comp0673.jpg.8aedb7f07579d7cfc390af425a5ae0ac.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Geraint, here's my way of doing it. Many moons ago I started to make a Swiss FO Deh 4/4 loco for an 0m gauge layout that never got built (yet!).

I have a 12" GW rolling mill but have never been able to get on with it. There is never enough pressure between the rollers in the middle when using the full width for coach roofs. If you have any suggestions to overcome this I would be pleased to find out!

Hope that this may be of use.

20210608_073037.jpg.b88292c7449f40557b92d2f6cc9da0f4.jpg     20210608_073110.jpg.1acc6e754501f7e8c9c2b40266919202.jpg

Deh_4_4_II96a.jpg.83f5606d00c3a6a7128e5189bb3a271c.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

An unexpected but very welcome invitation to take part in one of the mini-events that are replacing this year's cancelled Scaleforum means that Obbekaer will be emerging from its storage crates shortly for the customary round of pre-exhibition testing. The event has also provided the impetus to finish off some long standing wagon projects, using the transfers acquired last year.

The event is organised by the North Norfolk Area Group of the Scalefour Society, and takes place at The Copeland Centre, Hall Road, Briston, Nr Melton Constable, NR24 2LG on Saturday 25th September from 10.00 to 16.00.

Light refreshments will be available and there is no requirement to pre-book for attendance. There will be three layouts and various interesting modelling demonstrations. Very much an informal occasion, but no less enjoyable for that!

We look forward to seeing some of you there. As things stand, this is Obbekaer's only confirmed exhibition appearance at the moment, and in the absence of any further bookings may be its last!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...

I usually like to produce something new for each exhibition I do. With Saturday's Scalefour Open Day in mind I decided that the lack of RGVJ wagons needed tackling.

All of these are off the shelf products from a variety of manufacturers, including Hobbytrade, Roco and Sachsenmodelle. In each case the wheels have been swapped for Gibson p4 Lowmac wheels, usually on the original axles and no attempt has been made to compensate or spring them.

The RGVJ's standard wagon colour is Humbrol 100 (red brown) and the van roofs are given a coat of Railmatch roof dirt. Lettering is all from the excellent waterslide transfers produced for me by Old Time Workshop last year. With Jackson couplings fitted they are ready to roll.

20210922_220723.jpg.88e57220071795c0b5b4994739abfbc0.jpg

20210922_220743.jpg.fdd02956fd0e65ebaa19696aabe2a95d.jpg

20210922_220811.jpg.cbaa4aff74c9f0e7366f3576c65d7d31.jpg

At some stage I need to research and provide appropriate loads for the opens, but that's maybe a project for the next exhibition.

20210922_220756.jpg.6f101614c10dca912d20cac5a352a92a.jpg

We'll be running a slightly reduced service this weekend as one or two items of motive power are not available, but hopefully there will be plenty to keep operators and punters happy. Maybe we'll see some of you there!

All the best,

Geraint

Edited by Middlepeak
Photos and spelling
  • Like 13

I mentioned yesterday about finding time to put some loads in the open wagons. Well, some time came free this afternoon, so the litra PU was filled with coal for the engine shed at Ribe and one of the litra PDs gained a log load, doubtless destined for the local tømmerhandel (timber mill).

A small but satisfying job, which put me in a better frame of mind for tomorrow. A good thing really, because the hardest part of the day was filling the car up with enough petrol to make the journey to Norfolk! Strange times we live in.

Geraint

Edited by Middlepeak
  • Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 months later...

No, this project hasn't died. It's just slumbering a little whilst matters Cromford & High Peak are attended to.

Seriously though, I have been giving some thought to the additional motive power that will be needed, should the layout get back on a rejuvenated exhibition circuit one day. One of the key requirements is for a small steam loco for the daily goods train that will pause to do some shunting at Obbekaer and fill up with water at the water crane.

Some time back I was looking through Niels Jensen's wonderful tome on Danske Damplokomotiver and found this wonderful little beast, the DSB Litra N. Built by German manufacturer Esslingen and delivered initially to the Kalvehavebanen in 1897, it was transferred to the DSB in 1908 and saw out its later years as a shunter at Valby, being finally retired into preservation in 1965. Two others of the same class from the Jyske-Fynske Statsbaner were later sold on to the operator of some marl pits near Ribe, so I thought I could easily justify one for the RGVJ.

It's tiny! Scaling out at a mere 6.7m long (77mm in P87), some arduous design work has managed to locate a Tramfabriek coreless motor and a High Level gearbox within the boiler and side tanks, and most of the artwork has now been drawn for a full set of etches for the chassis and body.

However, there is a major conundrum to resolve!!

Scan.jpg.5709129818125a467ecaf86570c9f3c5.jpg

621370999_N186ValbyRangerstation220759AS.jpg.b4da8acafb40d4e23364aa5a5e9eafd9.jpg

DSB_N186_1955.jpg.dd83b78e93292ea91d80131acb49519f.jpg

If you look at the drawing and the two pictures above, you will see that there are two odd-shaped boxes projecting above and inboard of the side tanks. At first I thought this was a strange variant of firebox design, which is suggested by the sloped dotted line coming down from the cab front on the side elevation. However, the pictures show that there are actually two of these shapes with a gap in between where the boiler top runs right through to the cab front. However, the front elevation clearly shows that these either cut into the boiler or are shaped around it.

Sadly, none of the photos I have are from a suitably elevated viewpoint to show the relationship between these boxes and the boiler, and I can't confirm whether these actually are a strange design of firebox.

Does anyone with more experience or knowledge of German locos know of any similar designs, and better still have any good photos of them? The loco is still in storage at the Danske Jernbane Klub site at Marslev, but all attempts to secure better photos from a someone visiting the site have failed up to now.

Any help that you can offer will be much appreciated and will allow me to complete the artwork prior to starting construction in the New Year. 

Thank you and Glaedelig Jul!

Edited by Middlepeak
Photos reinserted
  • Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Looking forward to seeing what you can do with this, Geraint. 

This page says:

"Styrestangen i førerhusets højre side og håndbremsens vægtstang i venstre side arbejdede delvis i to kasser på førerhusforvæggen."

I'm struggling with the translation of some of this terminology, but here's an attempt:

The "control handle" on the right side of the cab and the handbrake's "weight lever" on the left side partly operated inside two boxes mounted on the front of the cab.

Annoyingly I can't find a photo which shows the cab interior at the right angle to see this.

PS: I assume you have seen this page: https://www.jernbanen.dk/damp_solo.php?s=1&lokid=804

Edited by Mikkel

Hej Mikkel,

Many thanks for that translation. That certainly explains the function of the boxes, which is very helpful.

I now need to find out how they related to the boiler / firebox and ideally I need a photo taken from the front of the loco looking back towards the cab and from a suitably elevated position so I can see the top of the tanks.

I did email the Danske Jernbane Klub some weeks ago to ask whether one of their members visiting Marslev could take such a photo for me, but sadly I didn't even get a reply. Do you know anyone who is a member?

I do have an undertaking from my good friend Jens Bruun-Petersen that he will take me to Marslev next time I'm in Denmark, but given the present Omicron situation, I have no idea when that will be. It's so frustrating to have this one problem stall progress on this loco!

Best wishes,

Geraint

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Looking at Mikkel’s posted link, there appears to be some variation in the placing of these tunnels, neither of which correlates with the drawing - but as it is a weight diagram, it may not be completely accurate.

Lovely little loco.

• 4 weeks later...

They say that perseverance pays in the long run. In my case, it's often a matter of leaving a difficult problem to fester for a while, in the hope that a solution will creep up on me when I least expect it.

So it was with my scratch built model of a Scandia 3 axle diesel, built in a small batch for the private railways of Denmark in the early 1930s. Whilst assembly of the loco body and chassis from my own etches had progressed quite well, the roof was the problem, in particular the tight curves at the edges. After a couple of years stowed away in a dark corner of the workshop, it re-emerged for one of my periodic head-scratching sessions and it occurred to me that if I built a strong frame to establish the correct profile and a good fit with the body, a sheet of 10thou brass shim would be sufficient to form the roof.

The trick with the sharp curves down to the cantrail was to roll them first over a suitable diameter of brass tube clamped in a vice, the key element of the process being to keep the brass oversize and clamp it by the waste section, rolling the curve away from the cantrail towards the middle of the roof, rather than the other way round. The central arc was formed by rolling with a larger section of brass tube on my thigh. The waste bits were then trimmed off after the whole unit had been soldered up. 

20220112_225626.jpg.4685a900c7ba3d191cb169f49b67599f.jpg

20220112_225515.jpg.f8ce250e453a52be8395c2ba95a0d75c.jpg.3674031ab80655d8884ae1ba1c5a217c.jpg

20220112_225529.jpg.6b3a90548edb80a57d978a386b6843aa.jpg.8e7d2f59c1341e2bf2f0e50e347fe2de.jpg

Details followed in the form of radiators from Freja Modelle castings and exhaust, ventilator and various bits of pipework from brass wire and tube. The final touch was to add a trim round the edge made from microstrip fixed with superglue.

There's a lot more detail to add, but hopefully the beast will enter service later in the year - it's about time!

G

Edited by Middlepeak
Photos reinserted
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 10
  • Round of applause 3

• 1 month later...

Time for another quick update on the small Frichs diesel.

I decided that it would be more productive to proceed with the four basic elements of the model - roof, bodywork, underframe and chassis - in turn, progressing each one to completion before moving on to the next one. That way J can at least feel that I'm getting somewhere!

The previous post showed all the roof-mounted gubbins in place. This was followed by a whiff of grey primer before an outbreak of Archers rivet transfers. What on earth did we do before these came along? A second coat of the primer followed and that element is now finished, bar the weathering, which will be an interesting exercise in itself.

So, on to the body, with lots of detail on the ends, such as the headlamps, horns and platform rails, all fashioned out of various bits from the scrapbox and the louvres made from multiple layers of microstrip. This time I used Humbrol No 1 primer and this afternoon was spent in pleasant company with Mr Archer again, adding the multitude of rivets that define the body panels.

20220216_222614041.jpg.7f483294d9cf4dcc580ed9127fdd7c3a.jpg

The next stage will be a couple of coats of RGVJ wine red, followed by glazing and transfers, and then it's on to the underframe.

Edited by Middlepeak
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9

• 4 weeks later...

While the Frichs diesel is going through the various stages of painting, a little experiment in the field of laser cut wagonry. 

The RGVJ has needed a couple of rejsergodsvogne (guards vans to you and me) for some time, and I had developed a soft spot for this design from the Aarhus-Hadsund Jernbane. 

20220314_203015483.jpg.fb286c0b6909b62c51b4938701d65cbe.jpg

The material is 1mm MDF, which I had left over from another project. Each side and end is formed of two layers, with the planking marked on the inner layer. The sliding door is cut separately.

20220314_202930232.jpg.c55d02476702a2a6b5070cd6197b69cb.jpg

A nice little jigsaw to be going on with!

Geraint

Edited by Middlepeak
Photos reinstated
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 3 weeks later...

Despite the recent blackout, there has been an upsurge of activity in the RGVJ workshops, prompted primarily by a couple of exhibition invites being received for the 2022/3 'season'.

Firstly, the Frichs diesel is progressing through the various stages of painting. When I last reported, the roof and bodywork had been completed and both had received initial primer coats. Since then, the underframe has also been completed, with the addition of 3D-printed axleboxes, and has now progressed through to a first coat of weathered black. The body is now in RGVJ 'wine red' and transfers have been applied.

20220401_170747970.jpg.862084b1a433969c4f286730f4141c79.jpg

The remaining work includes fitting of brake gear to the chassis and glazing to the body, before testing and weathering.

Secondly, the first body for the rejsegodsvogne has been assembled. This has at least proved that the principle of a laser cut mdf 'kit' is feasible, but I'm not too happy with the external framework, which needs to be more substantial. Back to the drawing board methinks!

Finally, and most notably, I've made a start on the Litra N 0-4-0T. PPD have produced the etches for me, and I've made a start on the chassis, which is seen here being fitted with its hornblocks. As usual, I've made a jig on which to assemble things, comprising a copy of the CAD plan stuck to a sheet of 6mm ply, which is invaluable when it comes to handling such a small beast - the loco is only 70mm long!

20220329_162607625.jpg.73c04ece003641177892caeef1e06ecb.jpg

The same jig is then used, with packing pieces, to mount the footplate for the fitting of buffer beams and splashers.

20220331_180458362.jpg.ebf915122bf4a1b5ec658348d1b918f6.jpg

And just to remind you what we're aiming for ............

DSB_N186_1955.jpg.c7b858f360c554b75153864374e769e1.jpg

More to come as the project progresses!

G

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9

A bit more progress, as the tank formers and cab front have now been assembled on the footplate of the N.

20220407_115800598.jpg.83688bf32da4e99e656f0095891ed4c9.jpg

20220407_115832462.jpg.bbe3689a0cfcbe5346a5763d54668edc.jpg

Starting to realise what an odd-shaped little beast this is!

G

Edited by Middlepeak
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• 3 weeks later...

There are times when you have to accept that what you thought was a good idea actually has its problems. I'm afraid that was the case with the laser cut rejsegodsvogn. Whilst the parts had cut out reasonably well, the external framework was rather brittle and because the laser makes a V-cut in the material, thin parts like this end up being narrower than designed. Given that the framework carries some quite visible bolt detail, dimensional accuracy was important.

So it was back to my old favourite medium - plasticard. This time the sides and ends are being made from two layers of 20thou, cut out using CAD printouts as templates. The top layer needs the planking detail, which is set out using another template with the planking pattern replicated outside the shape of the plasticard. It's then easy to position the planks with a ruler aligned across the template.

20220423_145226637.jpg.9fdd5c4c7546d16322a19b0e6af4cd06.jpg

20220424_193946420.jpg.55fd40608b495e0117ab42737646c371.jpg

The red lines on the template also allow the external framework to be aligned correctly.

20220423_145259541.jpg.8d924085877a1f534d83bcf48b8c4680.jpg

All of this is building up into a strong little structure, with plenty of opportunity for detail. Best of all, it's proving to be a most enjoyable experience!

• Like 12

• 3 weeks later...

More progress with the rejsegodsvogne.

Both bodies are now assembled and have turned out to be robust little structures. The plasticard framing is a lot more crisp than the previous mdf version and will allow all the bolt detail to be applied with Archers' transfers in due course.

20220513_193636081.jpg.c081c8e8faaefd75982be9d9b488b931.jpg

Buffers from Weinert have now been added and I've made a start on the chassis, using 3x1 brass U-section for the sole bars and my own etched w-irons. Springing will follow, along with brake gear.

20220513_193659278.jpg.af1bf52ac9f09a472d13c6342bcf1442.jpg

20220513_193744943.jpg.cccb50798bde1bf2cd5bc34bde29e6a9.jpg

There's a wealth of further detail to add, but for me, that's the most enjoyable bit!

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Springing and brake gear on the first rejsegodsvogn this afternoon.

20220516_181431261.jpg.1d0768fffea1e1514f35a157c3c03523.jpg

Wheels are Gibson 10.5mm 10 spoke - they should really be open spoke but these are not available. P4 profile with a few thou skimmed of the front and back to give the required tyre width of 1.75mm for P87, then mounted on short muffs of 2mm OD x 1mm ID brass tube. Final assembly will have them mounted on a 1mm diameter axle with parallel ends that runs in Exactoscale parallel bearings.

The springing arrangement mirrors that used in various P4 applications these days, with the bearing carrier retained by a combination of the spring wire and two small tabs on the w-iron. Brakes are from my etches. These would have been operated by hand from a capstan inside the van and will require a pair of v-hangers holding a transverse rod in the middle of the floor.

The small lengths of tube on the inner end of each w-iron will have the Jackson couplings secured there by Loctite in due course and the two protruding plates at the outer ends have a v notch which help to centre the coupling and maintain it at the right height above the rail head.

Hopefully I can get the other van to the same stage this week. All a bit fiddly, but quite satisfying!

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

Riveting stuff!

Back from an enjoyable holiday in Norway, I judged that it was time to get on with applying the Archers rivets to the rejsegodsvogne.

Of course none of the rivet spacings matched those on my sheet, so they all had to be applied individually.

20220712_175107963.thumb.jpg.88a8bf0e5766d86d843965922de99ee3.jpg

And, having taken the photograph, I find there's one missing. No prizes for guessing where!

Only 3 more sides and 4 ends to go - about 360 rivets I think.  (Sigh!)

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well the two rejsegodsvogne have now had a coat of wine red which has also prevented the Archers rivets from escaping. Brush painting of the black fittings will follow, then application of transfers and glazing. Maybe I can start on the roofs next week.

20220726_122910827.jpg.5b277215c1f3c00160d0d0e69de611da.jpg

In the mean time the Litra N has grown some more bodywork, with the single wrap round piece forming the cab back and sides and tank sides and fronts now bent up and soldered on. A very strong structure as a result.

20220726_122159972.jpg.bbf35166d5108be98f43333e68cd124c.jpg

I also abandoned thoughts of rolling the boiler from n/s sheet and instead opted for a brass tube, which although 0.5mm larger in diameter than it should be, made the whole process much easier. I did however have to cut out new smokebox formers and wrapper, as the original etched ones were now too small. The boiler unit is designed to pin into the cab front, with a 12BA bolt through everything at the front to secure it. This is necessary because the motor and gearbox is such a tight fit in the loco body that it requires the footplate and boiler to be assembled around it.

20220726_122257377.jpg.4c29996010a3a248b7ee75cb791decda.jpg

Back to the chassis next methinks.

G

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4