Austin 7, Alan Gibson kit

I have made a start on my recentley purchased Austin 7 kit from Alan Gibson, well I say I have, Ive been supervised down the clubrooms by friend Chris Hewitt while he is building his new layout and had all his tools to hand, he's been showing me some techniques on my RSU recentley, and to be fair he's made the start on this while I just hold the hot bits.

there is not much to this kit as its quite a simple loco. the tender has more bits to it

the boiler comes as a brass tube, with another one the same diameter for the smokebox which when sawn down the middle opens up to slide onto the boiler,then a very thin etch with rivets wraps around this to form the smokebox, to do this Chris tinned the thin etch then we held it in place and warmed up with the RSU. this was quite tricky as its a very thin etch and a delicate part of this bends all the way round under the smokebox and the rest bends back and forms the smokbox saddle with another etch inside, I couldnt have done it without him.

I also started bending the footplate etch in the vice when I realised I was making a balls up of it he came to the rescue with files and a toffee hammer and has formed it really nice.

Ive also opened up the chassis bearing holes for the bearings with a reamer.

there is nothing really to report but a couple of shots. its nice to have someone who knows what he's doing around while your making a mess, an advert for joining a model railway club

some will also note that this is a Gibson kit but im using Markits wheels :)

chassis will be solid OO.

IMGP7221.jpg

a shot next to a super D, the loco they where built to replace but where outlived by, just to give an idea of size.

IMGP7215.jpg

will do some more on it at the next club meeting next week

Edited by michael delamar
  • Like 7

hopefully :)

I didnt notice the slight hole under the smokebox to the left there, about a hairs witdh but now sorted.

only slight worry is the front of the firebox as its all flat brass with no curved whitemetal front,may use some thick brass to form the shape around the front.

im yet to decide on what motor and gearbox to go for, maybe a high level.

and need to find out where the frame spacers in the middle of the chassis go

Mike

cheers chaps.

we got the firebox done tonight, a job I was slightly worried about as it was very thin brass to fold up and form with no way of forming the shape to the front upper corners of the firebox,if folded up as intended itd have been sharp edges to the front corners, so when I had soldered the washing out plugs in, we made a front piece out of some thick brass approx 2mm thick scrap, we cut out the thin front of the firebox and threw that away, chris shaped the scrap piece and soldered it in to the firebox so that when it was in we had something to file away at.

took a little while to get right but its done now :)

austin7.jpg

• Like 2

Oh, I don't know - on this image on Wikepedia they are pretty prominent. The instructions being their usual level of usefulness on such matters (assuming access to a wealth of photographic material) :no:

On the other hand rather tasty looking David Andrews kit seems to suggest a more discreet appearance.

Edited by Kenton
  • Like 1

thats not an Austin 7 kenton :)

what I mean is the cast washout plugs have a washer like shape that stops the washout plug falling through the hole in the side of the brass firebox

all the shots I have of them the side of the firebox is flush with just a hole, ie no raised part

thats not an Austin 7 kenton :)

Yep, realised that - but were they not based on this design? - anyway seeking out other images on the web I am inclined to agree with you, there is no external "flange", so it looks like a hot iron and a desolder wick followed by a clean up.

Perhaps this is a more appropriate image.

Edited by Kenton

thats nice!

I think its pretty much the same style as a 4f.

I found a pic of the gibson kit built which has them the same way i did them :scratchhead:

ill change them, also needs 2 circular cover thingies on the top corners of the firebox, not sure what they are, the 4f has them aswel and theyre not in the kit, thats all small details,

to be honest im still undecided on weather to do this 00 or EM :)

• RMweb Premium

LMS washout plugs don't look like this at all, you're copying the GW type which has a pronounced flange on th eoutside of the cladding. On LMS locos there is just a hole in the cladding, the square end of the plug visible at the bottom. Also note that the lower ones are deeply recessed, the actual firebox sides are a long way inside the cladding at this point. I make them by soldering a sheet of lead on the inside of drilled holes in the firebox (adds some useful weight as well), then drill a smaller hole in the centre, finally push a short length of square wire in the hole - and they don't all tighten to the same angle either.

Michael Edge

• Like 2

LMS washout plugs don't look like this at all, you're copying the GW type which has a pronounced flange on th eoutside of the cladding...

Michael is quite right about the LMS holes in the cladding but, lest anyone be misled, these don't look anything like GWR ones either. The GWR cladding holes have only a tiny flange around the holes, hardly visible at this scale and often exaggerated on models.

Nick

• RMweb Premium

By coincidence, first job on the bench this morning was fitting washout plugs on a Royal Scot so I took some photos. I use the same method for GW washout plugs but deliberately raise a burr around the hole to represent the flange. I've seen a lot of these cast washout plugs in 4mm and 7mm scale which are very much overscale.

First of all holes drilled out 1.3mm diameter and gently de-burred.

Next solder lead sheet inside

Lower hole drilled deeper and others centre marked

All drilled .7mm and cleaned up.

Square wire fitted deep in lower hole and three of top ones

post-1643-0-46955000-1328539644_thumb.jpg

post-1643-0-98880900-1328539666_thumb.jpg

post-1643-0-50912700-1328539691_thumb.jpg

post-1643-0-74875700-1328539718_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Michael did say in a post earlier that he might have put them on the wrong side and perhaps he is right. Does this mistake, if it is a mistake, deserve the tone of the replies?

Regards

Uhh ?? Don't know what you are implying by that. :scratchhead: A question was asked and we seem to be all trying to resolve an answer. Can't see any accusative tone of wrong doing just support to get things right as seemed to be requested.

cheers guys, I like that Mike, ill try that on the next one, what are you using for the boiler bands?

in the last hour or so I just said sod it and got an iron out, unsoldered them all and put soldered them from behind, it wasnt easy as the firebox was formed and it was tricky getting the iron in and making sure they where in the centre of the hole, as soon as you touch them with the iron theyd move but I persevered and got it done, used a 25w iron so not to get everything too hot.

if id have ball'sed it up Chris would have killed me, he would have left as it was but things like that will only bug me so im glad ive done

doesnt look too tidy in the close up pics but in real life it looks good, just been cleaning the area with a fibreglass pencil to get rid of the excess solder

its a lesson learned :)

IMGP7467.jpg

IMGP7469.jpg

• Like 3

I dont think they will, not a lot of people seem to know what they are, they are a bit of a forgotten class

I only know of them because one of my interest's is Aintree shed and they had loads of them

my old mate used to drive and fire them on the Fazakerley- Crofton coal trains.

ive always liked the fowler style. the smokebox doors etc.

and i dont think they are as ugly as the L&Y 0-8-0s

an austin 7 moves away from the turntable at Aintree..

http://www.flickr.co...p28/5771546856/

http://www.flickr.co...p28/6214744031/

and 2 dumped alongside the shed. missing a buffer.

http://www.geoffbann...steam/49582.jpg

whenever i got talking to my old mate Jimmy Carlin about them the first thing he'd say was "steam brake only them" but he liked them.