Austin 7, Alan Gibson kit

Im also annoyed with myself for spending 2 days at the EM show and forgot to get material to do the boiler bands on the 2 locos below.

Boiler bands? Use Scotch drafting tape. Lay a strip on a piece of glass (from an old picture frame) and cut it into strips then affix to models.

Edited by coachmann

Thanks Larry Ill give that a go, I still want to do the pipes to the lubricators, another job thats holding this build up which seems to be taking an age (Eileens didnt do any fusewire) also the lampbrackets to do. I have just bent up some squashed lead pipe for the boiler, its nice and heavy now and it means I can finally fix the smokebox door on, it always seems to go missing and ive been paranoid of losing it so be glad when its stuck on..

post-27-0-22723000-1400790684_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update.

The scotch tape for the boiler bands worked well, just needed some superglue sometimes to make sure they stayed put.

Before that I finished a few other jobs, such as the elbow steam pipe, snifter valves and steam lance on the other side of the boiler.

the front steps I left until last as they are quite fragile, however I realised that a bracket was included so I soldered that to the back of the steps, this was quite tricky to do. In the end I got it done but then when the chassis was back on the coupling rods fouled the bracket, so the bracket had to come off and the steps are back to being flimsy.

the missing sandboxes I was debating on casting in resin but just copied them from a block of plastic which was quicker and easier.

Ive decided to leave off the sandpipes to these as its very close especially on the centre two wheels. Also decided not to do the pipes to the lubricators as it looked a bit too tricky in the end.

This was also down to my eagerness to get some primer on the loco so that I could see what areas needed addressing with filler,areas such as round the smokebox. My feeling that if I dont get some primer and paint on it now itll take ages to finish. But in my eagerness I didnt realise I forgot to do the lampbrackets and also there is no whistle, but these can still be added before the next coat of primer and black paint. The primer is Halfords etching primer and the black is Halfords satin black.

I had debated painting the wheels on the chassis but just before I was going to I chickened out and took them off and will paint them seperate, they've had Markits balance weights fitted which are really nice.

post-27-0-55276700-1401486059_thumb.jpg

Edited by Michael Delamar
  • Like 8

What a handsome beast

Yep, its just the kind of loco Bachmann should be looking at producing...... :biggrin_mini2:

Wherever they were based, one cannot have enough of them for hauling those heavy unfitted mineral trains to and from the collieries and interchange yards.

Edited by coachmann

You really have made a beautiful model, and it is a good thread to read through.

It would just be sods law that a couple of weeks after you finish it that Bachmann, or another manufacturer announce it for next year. Still you will have the satisfaction of having made it yourself, and it being a nice weighty brass loco.

Bit more of an update, numbers and crest on and bufferbeams painted red, when this is all dry ill put the drivers back on, cant do that yet as the dummy valve gear goes through the second axle. I sprayed the tender wheels on its chassis and scraped the paint off which wasnt as bad as I first thought.

post-27-0-44786200-1401714372_thumb.jpg

post-27-0-99017800-1401714409_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

The wheels are on and I have done the pickups, it has been running round in the clubrooms tonight, its ran round all night with its train and its perfomed brilliantly, really smooth and quiet and can pull well and its motor wasnt getting hot, it will pull more if needed but that is all the wagons I had available. It also ran just as well through the complex pointwork on Chris Hewitts new layout Sandon goods.

A quick vid, as usual with my mobile clips in the dark clubrooms the vid quality is awful, its just to show that it does run both slow and fast and can pull well.

Edited by Michael Delamar
  • Like 5

Ill do that Larry although it wont run on your track, its EM gauge, Loco chassis could be put back to 00 however.

I doubt it very much Id want to get rid as its a loco ive always wanted, always liked and I never want to do another one of these kits again to be honest. Its taken a long time. Plus its a loco for my new layout.

Here is a shot of how i am going to base the weathering on so it wont be completely filthy. Aintree's last Austin 7 on shed. Ex drivers and firemen ive spoke to said it was their best one. It later got overhead warning flashes.

post-27-0-50203800-1401878218_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

...A quick vid, as usual with my mobile clips in the dark clubrooms the vid quality is awful....

A side benefit of your video clip is that, at the end, it links to a lot of Austin Seven car videos, including modified Sevens.....