Slipe Lane. 80s/90s Small Diesel Layout

oggy1953

Hi All, another week gone and got quite a lot done. I have ballasted most of the track and weathered it. Have weathered the loading platform on the warehouse, and slewed the track over at the back to accomodate the Bachmann service shed. Just had to have one, it looks so good. Have also built up the area at the back where the industrial units will go. Have only one piccy as for some reason my laptop cant find the others on my camera. Also appologies for picture quality, this is a new camera with 13mp, but close up photograhy is useless. If the other piccys turn up later i will post....Peter

post-7214-0-61496200-1329151652_thumb.jpg

looking good.your track work looks very good ,how do you find using kadees?

Hi, Yes the track hasn't come out so bad after all. As for Kadees, well, it seems a matter of getting the trailing hook ( probably got a proper name ) to be in the correct position. Too low and it catches on the pointwork, too high and it wont always activate on the undertrack magnet. Also has to be bent to the side correctly. So far i reckon about 80% sucess rate, not good enough for an exhibition, but i'm working on it. I found Spratt & Winkle to be 100% sucessful but they don't look right on Diesels IMHO.....Peter

Just a quick update as another week gone by. Have finished the ballasting and weathering of the track, a time consuming job. Have installed lighting in the service shed. looks great, but boo boo time. I wired into the 12v point motor power supply. It drained the power from the point motors and every time i tried to switch a point the lights went out. Ha Ha Ha. Have sourced an independant 12v power supply so off to Maplins tomorrow to get some banana plugs and sockets. The materials for the industrial units have arrived so i can make a start on them later this week. Will post a photo when there is more to show...Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, just a bit more progress. I have laid a 12v bus bar under the boards so that any lighting i may add such as floodlights can easily be wired in. I have built a drivers mess room. Only placed on layout at the mo as i want to put the security fencing in place first behind it. Out of stock at the moment so will have to wait. Also been fitting some SWD sound chips to a 37 and 47, so i have not been taking it easy. Also posted a video on Youtube which you should find here

This is the Drivers mess room

post-7214-0-51000000-1330878052_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, still been busy these last couple of weeks. I thought the drivers mess room looked out of place where it was, so cut it in half and made it low relief. Placed it at the end of the Layout next to the depot and placed a grain of wheat bulb inside. Have made the re-fueling point and storage tanks from Knightwing kits, Made up an Eckon home signal kit ( still needs weathering and wiring in ). Fitted Noch crash barriers next to the track and started some of the detailing. Still waiting for the security fencing to turn up and loads more detailing needed. Still i'm enjoying it and have posted some more pictures below. Sorry about the standard though, don't know if its me or the camers. Believe it or not i spent many years as a service engineer for Kodak...Never did learn much about photography.

post-7214-0-07992400-1332001877_thumb.jpg

post-7214-0-31673500-1332001982_thumb.jpg

post-7214-0-27112000-1332002091_thumb.jpg

post-7214-0-40438800-1332002192_thumb.jpg

Nice pictures of this interesting little layout. I'm also building an 80s / 90s exhibition layout :) Looking forward to further updates on this project.

Andy.

Thanks for your comments, I find the 80s/90s era of BR an interesting time as there was so much variety in liveries and types of locos. A TMD is an ideal place to show them...Peter

• RMweb Gold

Nice progress Peter.

Shame about some of the focus on the pics as the ones that are sharp really sell the layout. Is it anything that any of the peeps on here can help with...lighting/camera settings etc?

I only ask, as I only recently got to grips with my own camera and better photographs tend to do your modelling more justice.

Keep posting - looks fun to operate this layout....

Pete

Peter, and interesting thread, and looks to be a nice idea you're promoting here. BCNPete pointed me here... and thanks for that Pete... it does give me some ideas. For the photos all I'd suggest is look at the shutter speed... or failing that, see if you've got a macro setting... which will help closer focusing.

Hoddesdon, hmmm, I'm orginally from Hertford. There was a nice model shop in Hoddesdon in the late '80s, is it still there?

Will watch with interest!

Jon

Wow I'm really impressed with this layout, the track plan will allow for a lot of movements and that traverse bored is impressive.

I know exactly what you mean about the Bachmann service shed, on the layout i'm hoping to build it is only planned to have a two road engine shed, but there's a spare siding so i may have to put the service shed on it haha.

cheers, Rob

Nice progress Peter.

Shame about some of the focus on the pics as the ones that are sharp really sell the layout. Is it anything that any of the peeps on here can help with...lighting/camera settings etc?

I only ask, as I only recently got to grips with my own camera and better photographs tend to do your modelling more justice.

Keep posting - looks fun to operate this layout....

Pete

Hi thanks for your comments. You're right i realy must sort out the photography. I have a Macro setting but it doesn't make the overall picture any better, just shifts the sharpness forward. It is fun to operate actualy and using 'Sound' fitted locos adds to the experience. Will mess around with the camera this week and see if i can come up with some better piccys...Regards Peter

Peter, and interesting thread, and looks to be a nice idea you're promoting here. BCNPete pointed me here... and thanks for that Pete... it does give me some ideas. For the photos all I'd suggest is look at the shutter speed... or failing that, see if you've got a macro setting... which will help closer focusing.

Hoddesdon, hmmm, I'm orginally from Hertford. There was a nice model shop in Hoddesdon in the late '80s, is it still there?

Will watch with interest!

Jon

Hi, already posted about my lack of phtographic skills above, so watch this space. As for the model shop in Hoddesdon, that would have been Keiths Models in the tower centre. That closed down in the late 80s in fact the whole centre is now devoid of ALL shops, Argos closed last month and was the last shop. The problem now is the nearest Model Railway shop is about 25 miles away. Take into considferation petrol costs and mail order is the only option, BUT you can't browse. Keep watching, and i will attempt to get some better piccys....Regards Peter

Hi, Yes the track hasn't come out so bad after all. As for Kadees, well, it seems a matter of getting the trailing hook ( probably got a proper name ) to be in the correct position. Too low and it catches on the pointwork, too high and it wont always activate on the undertrack magnet. Also has to be bent to the side correctly. So far i reckon about 80% sucess rate, not good enough for an exhibition, but i'm working on it.

It's called the Trip Pin, and does need to be accurately positioned - especially height-wise - to work correctly. The instructions that come with Kadees stress this, and give measurements and diagrams...

Looking really good some nice work going on, really good looking factory unit to great job

Hi Neil, thanks for your positive comments, an honour for me as your layout 'Deeping Lane Depot has been an inspiration. Thanks....Peter

Starting to really come together now Peter, well done. Especially liking the weathering to the track, have you considered using C & L or SMP track? Looks much better than PECO and would show off your weathering a treat and no reason why you cant use PECO code 75 points with it if building points makes you a bit nervous, although of course the points would look much better too handbuilt.

Will keep an eye on this.

Cav

Looking really good some nice work going on, really good looking factory unit to great job

Hi Neil, Thanks for your positive comments, an honour for me as your layout 'Deeping Lane Depot' has been an inspiration, Thanks.....Peter

Hi Neil, Thanks for your positive comments, an honour for me as your layout 'Deeping Lane Depot' has been an inspiration, Thanks.....Peter

Thanks peter

It's a great honor for me too that my layout has inspired you and what you are doing, really look forward to seeing this develop even more keep up the good work as I'm sure you yourself will be inspiring others with it

Starting to really come together now Peter, well done. Especially liking the weathering to the track, have you considered using C & L or SMP track? Looks much better than PECO and would show off your weathering a treat and no reason why you cant use PECO code 75 points with it if building points makes you a bit nervous, although of course the points would look much better too handbuilt.

Will keep an eye on this.

Cav

Hi Cav, Thanks for your comments. No, i hadn't thought of C&L or SMP. I have a spare baseboard 5ft x 1ft. When i have completed this layout i am going to give it a go. I have a couple of ideas in mind so why not. Thanks for the nudge.......peter

Hi all, Had a mess around with my camera settings today. Have posted a couple more pictures below, but now i'm not so sure there is much improvement. I wont waste too much time on the camera as it is taking up valuable modelling time. May get a mate round in a couple of weeks with a descent camera and see what he can come up with.

Managed to finish the 'Eckon' signal today and have started on the wall to go around the refueling tanks. Regards Peter

post-7214-0-16019700-1332175678_thumb.jpg

post-7214-0-11273000-1332175768_thumb.jpg

Nice pictures. The only problem with them is the focus. Have you tried switching the settings from (what is usually) the mountain symbol to the flower symbol? This layout is really coming along and there are some very nice details :) Are your buffers the Peco kit? I've been looking for some for ages!

Andy

Archived