Slipe Lane. 80s/90s Small Diesel Layout

oggy1953

Nice pictures. The only problem with them is the focus. Have you tried switching the settings from (what is usually) the mountain symbol to the flower symbol? This layout is really coming along and there are some very nice details :) Are your buffers the Peco kit? I've been looking for some for ages!

Andy

Hi Andy, Yes the buffers are Peco kits, i give them a good weathering with Matt Chocolate and rail rust and they look quite reasonable. I know about the photography, but not going to waste too much time on it. Will practise before i post any more pictures, or said earlier will get a friend round to do it.....Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Another week gone by. I picked up some bits at 'Ally Pally' last weekend. At long last got hold of the 'Ratio' security fencing which i have put on this week. Found it very fiddly, espeacialy threading fishing line through the top 3 holes on 31 posts then securing tight with fishing split shot, i must get a can of Patience at Tesco tomorrow. Will post a few pictures when i can get some descent shots.

I use one of those needle threaders from the missus sewing kit to pull my barbed wire through the ratio fencing. Works a treat.

Cav

Hi Cav, Thanks for the tip, will have to try that next time. I started by using forceps and tweezers for the 1st row. That took far too long so used my fingers for the other two.GRRrr i dont have enough pacience. I've taken some more photos today so will post later tonight or tomorrow IF they come out OK.......Peter

Here are a few photos i took today. There isn't a great deal more to do other than fit some floodlights and generally add detailing parts. I probably won't get much done in the next few weeks as i have to prepare my N Gauge layout 'Tillotson Road ' for the forthcoming Amersham Exhibition on the 14th April. If any of you guys are going to the Exhib please come over and say hello.....Peter

A view of the roadworks

post-7214-0-38602100-1333059296_thumb.jpg

General view from shed end

post-7214-0-49720500-1333059322_thumb.jpg

General view from the road bridge end

post-7214-0-42897800-1333059346_thumb.jpg

Photos... try and keep aperature as small as possible... and use a tripod or other camera steady if possible.

This was shot with aperature at about F35 and 125th sec under studio lighting.

post-8351-0-86344400-1333214698_thumb.jpg

A small aperature will give you a good depth of field - more in focus... there was some software to help this ... mentioned in MI1 I think, and that might be worth a look too.

HTH

Jon

Photos... try and keep aperature as small as possible... and use a tripod or other camera steady if possible.

This was shot with aperature at about F35 and 125th sec under studio lighting.

post-8351-0-86344400-1333214698_thumb.jpg

A small aperature will give you a good depth of field - more in focus... there was some software to help this ... mentioned in MI1 I think, and that might be worth a look too.

HTH

Jon

Hi Jon, Thanks for the info. I dont think i can alter things like that on my camera. I must say that Deltic looks fantastic, just as i remember them thundering through ' Ally Pally' station in the early 80s.

He's also excellent at super detailing too... :D

Hi, Yes he is !!! as i've said above.

My floodlights turned up Yesterday ( Saturday ) so have been fitting them today. A little 'Plug' for CR Signals here. I ordered them Friday and they turned up NEXT day. Brilliant service. Will take a photo with my much maligned camera some time this week, but its Easter School Holidays so have to ammuse son, Off to Tamworth Wednesday for some train Watching.....Peter

Hi All, Have taken a short video and downloaded to Youtube. This should give a clue as to how far i have got. Still needs more detailing to bring it more to life and i still have to build the trestles to stand it on plus the facia and lighting. Still with about 6 months to go before its debut at the Epping Exhib on the 10th November i should be ok. Regards Peter..

Really great little vid clip there and the layout looks great, very impressed with the buildings, they just seem to all knit together to add to the scene.

Great job well done

Cheers

Really great little vid clip there and the layout looks great, very impressed with the buildings, they just seem to all knit together to add to the scene.

Great job well done

Cheers

Cheers Mason, very kind comments...just wish my photography was better....Peter

Believe me mate my camera skills were shocking but once you get a half decent camera n a tripod you will be surprised what you get, I brought a canon G3 off eBay for £50 n a tripod from a car boot and I think once I mastered the camera the pics improved loads and to be honest I strive for the perfect picture now, what camera are you using??

• RMweb Gold

Nice video Peter.

Really makes me want to swap to DCC sound too...I could see myself spending hours reshuffling locos on this layout.

It all hangs together really well too...nice detailing of the fence at the rear, small warehouse siding etc etc...

Enjoy it to the MAX!

Believe me mate my camera skills were shocking but once you get a half decent camera n a tripod you will be surprised what you get, I brought a canon G3 off eBay for £50 n a tripod from a car boot and I think once I mastered the camera the pics improved loads and to be honest I strive for the perfect picture now, what camera are you using??

Sorry for the late reply but Easter + Family = Less railway time. My camera is a Olympus FE-47 14mp. I paid £50 for it about 6 months ago from Maplins reduced from £79. I am afraid it hasn't any fancy gadgets or extras but it does shoot videos which seem ok when videoing mainline trains.....Peter

Nice video Peter.

Really makes me want to swap to DCC sound too...I could see myself spending hours reshuffling locos on this layout.

It all hangs together really well too...nice detailing of the fence at the rear, small warehouse siding etc etc...

Enjoy it to the MAX!

Yes DCC sound did it for me too. As the scenic side is coming to an end now i find myself spending more time operating it ( which was why i built it i guess ). I can quite easily make a sequence of moves last an hour so i wont get bored at an exhibition ( If it gets any more bookings of course ). Must spend time soon building trestles, Facia and Lighting, Then the best bit ...Detailing and weathering the stock...Thanks for your positive comments. Regards Peter.

• 2 weeks later...

Strewth !!! someones learnt something from me :O Now thats made me happy. Pleased you like it....Peter

Aha lol. You've inspired me to actually make a model railway... I hope to get started soon...!

Hi All. Now the Amersham exhib has come and gone i can put my N Gauge layout 'Tillotson Road' away for a while and get on with Slipe Lane. Unfortunately i have had to return my Prodigy Advance to Gaugemaster. It should be back soon so i can 'Play' trains again. I have added some more lights to the warehouse and a few more railway personel. I have also mounted the layout on some higher trestles which i shall use at the Exhibition. I now need to build a facia and fit some curtain to the front to hide the legs. Still i've still got 6 months before its debut so no rush. Have posted a few more pics below taken through the road bridge from the traverser.

...Peter

post-7214-0-66280500-1335211391_thumb.jpg

post-7214-0-66514900-1335211465_thumb.jpg

post-7214-0-61759000-1335211534_thumb.jpg

post-7214-0-66817600-1335211994_thumb.jpg

Looking great Peter. Can you add some company logos to the warehouse? It'll add even more interest to this already intriguing layout of yours. It'll probably also make it even more obvious and easier to distinguish what era the layout is set in :) Just a suggestion. Anyway nice pictures - the new lighting looks awesome.

Andy.

Looking great Peter. Can you add some company logos to the warehouse? It'll add even more interest to this already intriguing layout of yours. It'll probably also make it even more obvious and easier to distinguish what era the layout is set in :) Just a suggestion. Anyway nice pictures - the new lighting looks awesome.

Andy.

Hi Andy, Yes a good idea. I shall have a look through Google for some companies of the era 80s/90s. Not sure wether to make it an engineering company or various retail outlets. Any suggestions anyone ? All comments welcome.

Archived