Slipe Lane. 80s/90s Small Diesel Layout

oggy1953

Hi Andy, Yes a good idea. I shall have a look through Google for some companies of the era 80s/90s. Not sure wether to make it an engineering company or various retail outlets. Any suggestions anyone ? All comments welcome.

I started a thread a while ago asking people about ideas on that subject actually.

Hope this helps further,

Andy.

• 2 weeks later...

Any more updates on the layout peter?

Hi, No not realy, I have been weathering and detailing some stock and have bought the materials for the name board/pelmet. No pictures yet as my camera is naff and need to pinch the wifes when she is out.....Thanks for asking...Peter. P.S promise some piccys soon.

Very nice layout Peter, nice period to model. The buildings and scenics look really good.

Enjoyed watching the video clip.

Thankyou for your kind comments, I'm afraid there isn't much i can post at the moment as its now down to the fine detail that makes a layout come alive, and my camera is not good enough to show them. I've been spending more time running the layout and enjoying that part very much....Peter

Well a weeks gone by and a bit more done. I have fitted street type lights to the 'road' leading to the re-fueling point. And 1 on the road bridge. Purchased a Bachmann 08 from E-bay DCC ready version. Have fitted a Hornby chip but it doesn't run great ( fine in DC mode ) so have ordered a Bachmann chip. There doesn't look like there is much room for a speaker though, dont fancy cutting a hole in the cab. 'Borrowed' my wifes camera whilst she was at work today, some piccys below. Too be honest i cant see much improvement over my own camera......Peter

47 at the re-fueling point

post-7214-0-08376600-1337267245_thumb.jpg

General view of the shed

post-7214-0-19281800-1337267318_thumb.jpg

Overall view of shed end

post-7214-0-88542800-1337267377_thumb.jpg

Looking very nice now, well done.

Thanks mate for your kind comments, I must design the facia soon. Not sure wether to make it out of one piece of ply sheet and cut a 'Window' out so people can view the layout that way. Or an upright piece of timber at each end and fix a name board across the top with lighting behind. Decisions decisions.

Lookin' good Peter...looks like good fun to operate too.

DCC sound - lights - a cold beer and an operating session...not jealous at all... :no: :biggrin_mini:

Ha Ha, If you live anywhere near East Herts your more than welcome to come round and we'll re-enact that scenario. Yes its giving me hours of enjoyment, must get on and finish it though....Peter

• 2 weeks later...

About time for an update. Not much on the layout itself. Bought some bits at Railex yesterday which i will paint up and add in the next week or so. I did buy a Class 56 sound decoder and speaker yesterday as well. Have fitted that today and it sounds great. Must fine tune it as it jerks a bit around step 8 to 12 on my Gaugemaster Advance. Also purchased an 08, fitted with a chip but no sound as i'm not sure where to fit the speaker, but it runs really slow. Will post a video shortly.....Peter

Hi all, As threatened, a shortish video of my Hornby Class 56 fitted with sound and later in the vid my Bachmann 08 running slow. Video taken from the road bridge just before the fiddle yard.....Peter

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All, not posted for a while but i have been busy. This week i have made the facia. The bottom is a piece of 4'' x 5/8th soft wood. The uprights are made from 1'' softwood angle, and the top facia is an offcut i scrounged from a local skip. It is 8mm MDF, 7 1/2'' wide. I couldn't see this MDF going to landfill now could i. All it needs now is a couple of strengthening plates around the fixings on the uprights and a coat of paint. Not sure what colour to paint it. I was thinking Matt Black or maybe a Dark Blue. Any ideas anyone ?. I have a piece of Black curtain for the front to hide the trestles from a long ago layout no longer used. Sorry for the untidy Railway Room, SWMBO has instructed me to tidy it but thats a waste of modelling time.i keep telling her.....Peter

post-7214-0-78414500-1339702303_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Nice work Peter

The layout looks like a very nice composition in that photo - will you screen the front of the fiddle yard?

In terms of colour I tend to use dark grey these days which (for me) looks very smart and breaks with the matt black.

Nice work Peter

The layout looks like a very nice composition in that photo - will you screen the front of the fiddle yard?

In terms of colour I tend to use dark grey these days which (for me) looks very smart and breaks with the matt black.

Hi, The fiddle yard is a traverser and moves forward as well as back. As i am going to operate from the front i wont be able to screen it, although i may increase the height at the back to stop me dropping locos on to the floor. The control box for the points is a detachable box which i shall fit using velcro to the front lower facia below the re-fueling point.

Dark Grey, now thats interesting, will have to sit in front of the layout and visualise that..Thanks for the comments, always appreciated.....Peter

• RMweb Gold

Dark Grey, now thats interesting, will have to sit in front of the layout and visualise that..

I used it recently on my Kyle and Coombe Junction blogs (see the links) and I believe Neil (Mason) used it on his excellent boxfile layout.

I used it recently on my Kyle and Coombe Junction blogs (see the links) and I believe Neil (Mason) used it on his excellent boxfile layout.

Hi, Sorry for delay in answering. Looks good, will make a visit to 'wickes' some time this week to see what shades they have. ....Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, thought it about time for an update. I've painted the facia. I went with BCNPete and chose dark grey. Boy has paint increased in price, shows how much painting i do. Dulux is going for nearly £20 a can. I settled on 'Wilkinsons' own brand in the end. £6.80 a can. I think it may be a little too light but we'll see when i've fitted a black curtain to the front. Will take some photos next week....Peter

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, Not posted for a while but i have been doing things. I've now painted the facia a dark grey and fitted a curtain at the front to cover the trestles, but will buy some new material before its first exhibition on 10th November at the Epping Railway Circle's exhibition at Theydon Bois ( little plug there ) i have also located the point switch box on the front as i intend to operate from there. It is detachable so i can fix to the back of the layout if i'm feeling shy. Not much more to add except some fine detail here and there, plus some more weathering of my fleet of diesels. I probably wont post much more till just before the exhibition as my camera isn't that good for picking out the detail. Piccy posted below....Peter

post-7214-0-39981300-1342623788_thumb.jpg

Looking really smart indeed, I like the option of front or back operation, what other shows have u got lined up??

Hi Mason, thanks for your comments. No other shows lined up, but i have sent details to the organiser of the Sheredes School exhib next July 2013 but not had a reply yet.. Its only 15 minutes walk for me so nice and local. Maybe i will pick up a couple of bookings at our Exhib in November. If not, well i will just have to play with it myself. I have been for a couple of hours this evening.......Peter.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got a booking for next years Sheredes School show on the back of some pictures. Quite pleased with that as its first outing isn't untill November. Not much to report just adding more small details to layout and locos, and playing a lot, well i got to practise haven't i......Peter

Archived