Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Best and Worst of RMWeb

• RMweb Gold

I'm having a second go at this topic.

The Best : seeing novice modellers progress and achieve better and better models, be they buildings, rolling stock or whatever. Seeing their efforts praised, encouraged and supported so they develop and grow.

Similarly seeeing fledgling businesses start up and become stable companies, who are often touted as the default or standard supplier of their product.

The Worst : (a minor niggle!) posters who are impatient for a reply to their posts - sometimes, at busy/popular times, a post can be moved off the front page of VNC quite quickly, so can be missed by the majority of viewers, so don't get upset, just bump the post.

Stu

Best?

Quality modelling

Explanations of how it was achieved

Getting feedback on your own efforts to create the same

And the ability to ask a question on practically any modelling subject and get a variety of views, opinions and sources of information presented in a constructive, chatty way (because while we tend to remember the arguments, they are massively outweighed by the threads stuffed with reasoned and friendly discussion).

Worst?

Leaving aside all the little irritants (unhelpful thread titles, posting thread titles in CAPITALS, not using the search facility, etc) as these aren’t really the ‘worst’ of RMWeb, I would say…

The fact that I still keep seeing new people starting their very first post with ‘Please be gentle with me…’. It’s a sad reflection on how we come across.

The astonishingly bad way Chris Leigh gets treated on here. I am constantly amazed that an elder statesman of the hobby should receive such abuse, and then further amazed that he considers it worthwhile continuing to visit. Credit to him because I would have departed long ago in his position.

Hornby bashing. Can’t help feeling we should be building bridges not walls…

• RMweb Gold

The best : people who make and display marvellous models in all scales and gauges, or who provide heaps of info for the rest of us, or who add intelligent and thought-provoking contributions - and there are some many who do all of the above!

The worst : prolific contributors who seldom achieve any of the above, and often have their glass half-empty. Get a life!

Best -

1. Having a 'Like this' button to avoid having to post to evidence ones approval of the fine modelling found here

2. Members who can take time and thought to post the below, having met and worked briefly with Chris I hold him in high regard

The astonishingly bad way Chris Leigh gets treated on here. I am constantly amazed that an elder statesman of the hobby should receive such abuse, and then further amazed that he considers it worthwhile continuing to visit. Credit to him because I would have departed long ago in his position.

3. That there is a 'niche' for everyone on RMWeb, even parsimonious, pedantic Cornflako-Packeto mashers!

Worst -

People who don't set 'Receive notification' when they post a question or request for advice/assistance and consequently don't thank respondents or re-visit their thread

Doug

The best; seeing some peoples modelling and thinking - yes maybe that's not impossible - and having a go myself: The sheer range of modelling styles and abilities on display, and peoples willingnes to share.

The worst; hard to think - but in terms of 'time wasted when should be modelling' is comming across a link to a photograph in, say the Dapol 22 thread - opening it and then spending the next hour going 'oh wow!' at all the other photos in the stream!

Les

For me....

Best.

There is always something worth reading in all scales, eras and gauges. In both threads and blogs.

Better than any printed magazine in that respect.

There is no way people can moan that "there is nothing in it for me" some wonderfull "Free" DVDs (U Tube links) and there is NO plastic bags either!

Worst,

If I was to list some of the things that I think are the worst I could end up in a lot of trouble!

What really gets my goat are the "Armchair Pedants" and the so called expert! So much so I was driven to write in my blog about it so I won't repeat all that here.

I could go on but, out of respect for Andy and the mods I'll keep it to myself!

Cheers!

Frank

As a novice, I find this hobby forum, above all others, is the most knowledgable, informed and helpful I've visited. Someone somewhere will almost certainly know the answer, or know where to find it. This site is like the railway BBC - there's something for everyone.

There's only one fault I can think of, and that is with the search (and tagging) facility. I would find it enormously helpful to mandatorily tag all topics and blogs with a scale (if applicable), plus other vital information relevant to search results. I do use search but it's only helpful if you can filter out the information you don't want, leaving you to read through the information you do want.

• RMweb Gold

Best

most of what people have already said

Worst (repeating some)

• helping people who can't be bothered to say thanks
  • people who don't read a previous answer before diving in*
  • people who give incorrect answers, so you not only have to help the OP but try and explain why a previous answer wasn't helpful**
  • people who dive in before enough information has been extracted to enable a useful answer to be given
  • people who believe everything that "celebrities" publish.
  • "Celebrities" who believe thay are above comment and take offence if you point out their mistakes.

* On a multi page answer I can forgive that to some extent if the previous answer is buried, but search still helps.

** - this is often connected to the dive straight in approach, I try and assist with signalling queries because I know the subject, very well, but I don't try and assist with GWR BGs (for example) because I don't, I may have some views on BGs but they aren't very helpful so I don't add to the confusion by posting them, I accept that there are people who know more about that side of the hobby than me, I wish others would adopt a similar approach at times.

Best

most of what people have already said

Worst (repeating some)

• people who don't read a previous answer before diving in*
  • people who give incorrect answers, so you not only have to help the OP but try and explain why a previous answer wasn't helpful**
  • people who dive in before enough information has been extracted to enable a useful answer to be given
  • people who believe everything that "celebrities" publish.
  • "Celebrities" who believe thay are above comment and take offence if you point out their mistakes.

I like your way of thinking!

Just what I was trying to say, but you have a much better way of putting it!

Cheers!

Frank

Guest Natalie Graham

I think the best thing about RMWeb has to be the vast amount of knowledge and experience it contains. I am sure I'm not the only one who has noticed that whenever you do an internet search for something railway-related, the most helpful looking results nearly always take you a thread on here. Another thing which has always impressed me is the way that someone posting a thread about a beginners' 'trainset oval' will be taken just as seriously and given the same degree of respect as someone posting his latest Scaleseven masterpiece.

If there is one thing I would rate as the worst, it is when threads seem to get locked rather than edited when a couple of people have got into an argument and we lose an otherwise informative and helpful discussion because of a couple of people. The other one is people who give advice but then get grumpy if the 'advisee' doesn't follow it.

+ The network of knowledgeable, helpful and talented people I've been able to develop since posting on the site.

+ Some genuinely inspirational modelling to read about - RMWeb has a very strong BR(Sc) quarter, for instance - which suits my tastes perfectly.

- Politics, internal and external, some of which Dave777 touches on, have considerably damaged my view of the forum of late.

- And certain subjects attract some absolute nonsense to be posted, to similar effect.

I don't spend so much time on here at the moment so have probably missed the Chris Leigh bashing. Can someone kindly refer me to these activities please ?

Never had anything against him myself and fidnit strange that some do - but then it is a funny old world.

Been here on the various versions of RMweb and feel it is a fantastic resource. Yes there are niggles but they are only petty ones. Sometimes I wish some of the moderation team were focussed in a slightly different way, but I realise they have a busy task, and do manage to keep most of the nutters under control.

If there is one thing I would rate as the worst, it is when threads seem to get locked rather than edited when a couple of people have got into an argument and we lose an otherwise informative and helpful discussion because of a couple of people.

Most topics that get locked are due to duplication or old age with repeating circular arguments. We try not to stifle discussion and do edit when appropriate (something that many members would not even see) but it's a fine line and not everyone will agree all the time. We are always on the end of the 'report' button and respond well to polite inquiry!

For me as a mod:

Best - the fact that 99% of topics and members (this is perception, I'm not counting) carry on in perfect civility without any need for intervention from us. So well done to all of you for that, you all help to make this place what it is.

Worst - members who still think the whole internet is open to their interpretation of 'free speech', who don't read the rules and guidelines which are little more than common sense, and who then get indignant and argumentative when pulled up for crossing the line.

RMWeb and its associated events have played a very major part in helping me to maintain my mental health- and at some points too my continued life- during my continued - but temporary - lack of employment. I have met some great people through it which has made things easier mostly and made me feel that I am still a part of society with a worth and part to play- unlike some of the attitudes of red-tops would have you believe.

It has given me things to get interested in and look forward to- something that is vital if I am to continue to believe that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Archived