Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Best and Worst of RMWeb

Best: The inspirational modelling on here. By no means all is related to my interests/era/scale but it's still inspirational. I am actually surprised by some of the stuff that inspires me - perhaps I'm not as narrow-minded or rigid in my (modelling) views as I thought. There are some wonderful modellers on here, mostly modest, mostly willing to give friendly advice.

Worst: The occasional rudeness and ignorance of certain contributers. Some of this, I suspect is unintentional, but some is clearly not.

• RMweb Premium

Best - When Andy and Jim can put their feet up as the system is working 100%.

Worst - When Andy and Jim are running around like headless chickens because the server has crashed.

Thanks to both of them and the others who help in the background for making the "Best" happen most of the time.

It's funny that some are quoting 'Hornby bashing' as one of the worst aspects.

That's called an opinion I think. If my car developed metal fatigue, fell into 2 bits and then took 6 months to be sorted would I be accused of 'vauxhall bashing' if I moaned about it :)

That's called an opinion I think. If my car developed metal fatigue, fell into 2 bits and then took 6 months to be sorted would I be accused of 'vauxhall bashing' if I moaned about it :)

It's not something solely limited to this forum, there seems to be a basic human instinct to concentrate on a large product manufacturer and complain like hell, sub simulation & Ubisoft being my favourite example.

I am very happy with this forum. Always super helpful with answers to practiucally any question on the hobby. Help that has saved me hours of work and research - so a big thank you to all of you for that.

Worst aspects. I use other forums and, for the most part, RM web is cut above many. However, as can be found elsewhere, people can be opinionated, very protective of their point of view and unwilling to discuss sometimes. Very rarely rude but I suspect that reflects forum use in general, you can behave in a different way - something most would never do in face to face chats.

Jack

Nope... but I would take into account the way you said it Rob.

Best - the fact that any question, within reason, will (usually) attract a string of helpful responses - often within a matter of hours - and the fact that a lot of very talented people are willing to give up their time to do 'step by step' threads that cannot be bettered anywhere (The epic 6WTS thread is something that still, even several years on, springs to mind as my main example)

Worst - the (thankfully) rare 'closed shop' moments when people seem totally unwilling to deviate from 'the way they've always done it' (and 'loudly' insist that this way is the undisputed best) - and the occasional hint of petty 'glee'/spite from some that accompanies something that isn't right on an RTR model/in a magazine.

Most of all though, the place is bloody marvellous :sungum:

I don't understand why the "Worst" is something you are "uninterested" in? I'm not being "funny" but I've learned a lot from reading Topics that at first glance are way off line of my interests.

The Best: Is information new to you (i.e. you learn something).

The Worst: Is occasional rudeness/stupidity/arrogance.

Best, Pete.

Hi Pete

No worries, perhaps I was trying to be too diplomatic.

I had made a similar "worst" comment to yourself, but changed my mind as rather than complaining (not suggesting you were !!) it is just as easy for me to avoid getting involved.

regards

Stewart

Stewart, It's too easy to misunderstand the written word on BBs. I knew you were open minded and therefore your comment did sound odd, almost as if someone had taken over your computer!

Well, not that bad but you know what I mean....I didn't mean to come over as judgemental as I sounded.

Best, Pete.

BEST: A huge pool of knowledge to draw upon; encouragement and feedback to one's own modelling efforts; the ability to make new chums; the generosity of membership to help out beyond answering questions on RMWeb (the guilty parties do know who they are... :nono: ) and the general overal value of RMWeb over other fora (I've dallied with other fora, but always return to RMWeb)

WORST: Criticism that descends into "slagging off" or (potentially) libel, "flogging a dead horse" (e.g. as in repeating, ad nuaseam, that "the model of the 102XX has the wrong reciprocating sprocket", I think we get the message by post 10) and the occasional post without capitals, punctuations or line breaks which - together with the use of obscure jargon (photting? - sounds positively perverse) makes the post impossible to read.

F

• 2 weeks later...

Great Idea for a thread, sorry I can't limit myself to one answer per category, but for me the best:

-Some truly inspirational modelling;

-Knowledgeable contributors willing to give advice and answer stupid questions, (that have probably been asked 100 times);

-Broad range of topics covered;

-Open minded with significantly less backbiting, point scoring and pointless arguments than on other forums.

The worst:

-Truly inspirational modelling (how can I hope to achieve that level of expertise?);

-No online spellchecking of replies (what I typed sometimes bears no resemblance to what I thought I typed).

As a late newcomer, with no background in the rail industry, I realise how much I don't know. So, the high end modelling on display here, and the depth of railway knowledge feels intimidating. Having said that, my stupid questions have always been well answered and I appreciate the time people have taken to provide explanations.

The only other thing that I would mention, common to most rail modelling forums, is that 'budget' can be a consideration for some. We all know that a Bentley is 'better' than a (name any other make of car), but the suggestion that you should throw 'it' away and buy 'x' instead (may be true) but .....

Finally well done to the people who set up, run and mod this site, I appreciate their efforts.

• RMweb Premium

Best - the advice, assistance and inspiration I've obtained, the friends I've made, the generally convivial atmosphere (despite the odd spat; it's bound to happen with the number of members we have now) and the satisfaction of being able to (occasionally) help a fellow modeller, no matter where he/she may be.

The only downside for me is the Marketplace, I know there were doubtless good strong reasons for changing it into "RMWEbay" but I'm just not into auctions and the whole thing seems far too complicated!

The only downside for me is the Marketplace, I know there were doubtless good strong reasons for changing it into "RMWEbay" but I'm just not into auctions and the whole thing seems far too complicated!

Sadly, I feel that too.........I still haven`t been able to work out which type of auction-account I should choose to open (and what`s the difference `twixt them?) :blind:

However, I do acknowledge that forum-member`s 'buying and selling' can be fraught with sensitive issues (and consequent work) for those giving this site its direction and Marketplace must`ve suited those circumstances.

The only other thing that I would mention, common to most rail modelling forums, is that 'budget' can be a consideration for some. We all know that a Bentley is 'better' than a (name any other make of car), but the suggestion that you should throw 'it' away and buy 'x' instead (may be true) but .....

I think that's something the majority are quite conscious of Chris, and thanks to several very well structured topics on here by the likes of Penguin of Doom, to name but one, the art of budget modelling and improving older models is not just practised but you could argue, encouraged.

However, I think it's fair enough when someone asks how to superdetail a 40 year old Class 37 with ruptured mazak and one end stoved-in, to point out that there are heavily discounted current models to be had from the likes of Vi-Trains at several of the large stockists.

Guest Max Stafford

There's no pleasing some folk...

Dave.

BEST: 99.9% of the content on here.

WORST: The 0.01% of content devoted to The F***.

The best: I may as well just paste 99% of the forum into this posting. So let's just say RMweb as a community.

The worst: nothing is really worst, but I too find the market place messy. I gave up trying to navigate/post/etc and ended up flogging a bunch of stuff on Ebay instead.

Archived