Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Best and Worst of RMWeb

• RMweb Gold

Best - generally excellent content. I know many threads don't interest me but they do other people and I accept that.

Worst - I suspect this will be a minority view but like most internet fora I think there are way, way, way too many topic sections. When I visit I invariably use what's new because of that or search with the google site: option to find an older subject related topic thread. Despite the volume of headers I would prefer consolidation into' just a very few sections Modelling, Exhibition/Club matters, Prototype info, Press and Publications, Manufacturers issues and "Non-railway topics" as so many of the modelling matters I read actually aren't usually gauge specific or where the gauge modelled didn't matter.

Best?

The good advice and guidance available and freely given, as well as the inspiration provided by some really good model making.

The worst?

The lazy members who can't be bothered to do a little basic research before they ask someone else to do it for them.

The incessant wish listing about something the OO enthusiasts want someone else to make for them, followed by all the frothing when it appears about what's wrong/right/should be different.

The worst?

The lazy members who can't be bothered to do a little basic research before they ask someone else to do it for them.

...and whilst I don't contribute on here for the plaudits, I do it because I'm passionate about it - I would add to the above point - when you do provide the appropriate links or facts to a lazyitis sufferer, and they have the temerity to make some feeshus - sorry facetious - comment about it.

Like 'but there's a Fotopic link in that old thread, it doesn't work you know...'

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Max Stafford

Adds a whole new dimension to our beloved loco "Mallard"!!

They said she had teeth. Now I know why!

Jeff

Yes, but she was croc-ed after her record breaking run...

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Now that my attention has been pointed to this topic .....

BEST : This is a superb repository of knowledge and skill freely shared among us all and is offered as a service without cost to the user.

WORST : Within RMweb itself the still regular slow-downs or outages experienced here which seem to equate to UK time mid-evening browsing. The attitude of a small number of trolls and of a very few (not by any means all) advanced rivet-counters doesn't help much either but they occur where ever you go.

• RMweb Gold

BEST:

All of the above. Its a perfect model railway club with excellent content. Many thanks Andy for the original idea and for all the effort by you and your helpers in developing the forum to what it is. And to the membership for keeping the content flowing.

WORST:

Slow running of the software. Perhaps with financial backing from Warners this can be resolved once and for all.

Regards

Colin

Best, all the advice ive been given freely, and the inspiration from all the work previously done.

Worst, knowing i will never be able to compete with the excellent modeling on this site, and how slow the site seems to have got lately since its been taken over by Warners.

Once and for all may I just clarify that the recent issues of slowness and server outages are being looked into by Jim our host in the US and has nothing to do whats so ever with Warners coming on board!

Guest Max Stafford

Maybe just a case of six lanes of traffic going into four as the forum becomes ever more popular on a server that being based in North America, probably handles loads of traffic anyway. I'm quite sure the necessary adjustments will be made as soon as is practical but it's not a matter of life and death.

If that's the worst thing we've got on here we're doing fine.

Best thing in my opinion about the forum is the way it has upped so many peoples' modelling game. I'm quite sure it's raised the bar across our hobby in a way never previously seen by men without beards and chunky-knit jumpers! :mosking: :blum:

Dave.

Archived