Clecklewyke and the Bradford North Western Branch

clecklewyke

1 hour ago, BurscoughCurves said:

Hi Ian,

I hope you are well. 

The ‘Gifford’ image above is absolutely fantastic, I couldn’t praise it enough. It puts my efforts on Halifax PS to shame!

All the best,

Pete

Hi Pete, thanks for the very kind words. You probably know that I’ve been inspired by your marvellous photography of Halifax Powell Street. I think our slightly different interpretations of a LNWR terminus in the West Riding are fascinating. I do hope you’ve built into your timetable a stopping train service between Halifax and Bradford Northwestern fire click awake (I E iPads spelling of Clecklewyke .) and maybe a through coach to be attached to a London express from Bradford. We could also arrange for the two coach  Bradford Portion

to be reversed at Bradford and go on to Halifx. That is the beautiful thing about railway modelling, it’s all in the imagination.

Best wishes

Ian

• Agree 1

Some more pictures of the new Clecklewyke.This of course is work in progress and buildings are not yet properly embedded.

Here is an empty coaching stock train passing through Clecklewyke  on the way to Scargill sidings

5F027A3A-582C-4958-9773-11C635EA9FBB.jpeg.195524fc07efa2d8a9dafbde3f8db35a.jpeg

I particularly like this view of a black five at the coaling stage

673278C3-51CF-49B0-8D17-5F16CF4049D9.jpeg.a42309f390711579d56f83bb4e0f8274.jpeg
and now a couple of shots to make P4 modelers weep. Employing the subterfuge of using 24 inch curves hidden behind buildings is really only possible with OO gauge. This, of course, is strictly off stage.

25137865-259D-4A20-B9E2-7573762F5085.jpeg.0f8b64953357e1b0ec2a19edc97e3447.jpeg57259B7A-513B-4FB6-A168-9757A372FADE.jpeg.f054e12932aded25a88c8832b535afef.jpeg

Most of my trains happily go around these curves but some stock will need couplings eased out to prevent buffer lock.

I found I was completely incapable of laying the nnew track through Clecklewyke so I was immensely grateful that my relatively near neighbour, Tom Foster, volunteered his services. I have also commissioned him to complete a train of cool wagons that I had started before glaucoma hit my eyesight.

Ian

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 1 month later...

It doesn’t show but the BNW branch has. seen a lot of work on track, electrics and basic scenery but the most obvious change has been to the lighting valance for Clecklewyke. When this was extended above.the new station and MPD it was too heavy and long to be self-supporting, so I fitted a temporary strut tnus:

129A1DED-23F2-4621-BBEA-0FC185A74F1A.jpeg.b1e32d90a552749db42a81271fed8989.jpeg

This was obviously unsightly and could not remain so my friend  Rob Selby has made a cantilevered bracket to support It from the back.

22A911DC-4D25-420A-8708-E0CE19489A36.jpeg.a24bad9dcaef6de3e0a25755c420ba6a.jpegIn Sir Humphrey’s words this was a “brave “decision as it depended on the integrity of the 300 year old masonry and plaster wall to which it is screwecd. Being a keen fan of Bruno, Rob temporarily retained the strut but left it half an inch clear of the bracket, like the framework for Maidenhead Bridge. Like I KB he was confident that the bracket would hold and sure enough it did so we were able to remove the strut permanently.

And it now looks like this, givingA nice clean framing for the extended scene:

EA77F08C-8E98-4E88-8AB7-EE5C3E4ED132.jpeg.1826f40ed43f34bb790ff239722af42d.jpeg
Rob has “volunteered” build the lighting valance for Bradford North Western, so watch this space…

Ian

Edited by clecklewyke
  • Like 15

Thank you Jonathan. Since the 1990s all my layouts have been designed following Iain Rice’s s recommendations on presentation, at eye level, which aalows the use off stage design. features, such as scenic backgrounds, flighting, wings and proscenium arch. Enhanced depth can be suggested using perspective and low relief or flat buildings. Tracks can disappear off the edges of baseboards by using buildings or wings as view-blockers. No need  for improbable bridges or tunnels. This means that only the interesting parts of stations et cetera need to be built, the rest being suggested by making them appear to be off stage. Iain calls these “bits a” stations.

It’s interesting that Jack Nelson was using these techniques in the 1950s – and he only had one arm!

Edited by clecklewyke
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

Although I try to get a couple of hours work done on the Bradford branch every day progress is abominably slow. Mostly I am improving the wiring and track – not very exciting for the reader!

The only significant visual change has been the installation of a programming track, just a length of SMP track held down by double sided sticky tape connected to the programming output of my Z21.image.jpg.aaf7859e0b0c9b6ef803a71bd390bbb8.jpg

The only problem is that my eyesight is now so bad that I cannot read the instructions for programming locos. Does anybody out there have a Z 21 and could lead me by the nose through the programming procedure please?  My telephone number is 01969 650180. I would be most grateful for your help.

Ian

PS this is dictated so I apologise for any errors in transmission!

Edited by clecklewyke
  • Friendly/supportive 5

“Hi, Richard

Thank you for looking into this for me. However the YouTube demo was about programming the Smart phone or tablet controllers,within “ settings “ a

whereas I was having difficulty with the “ programming” section, using a programming track to check or edit vv settings on the loco chipThis is used to change or read the CV settings for each local. The programming track is set up and live but the first step then is to read the CV setting for a particular local. It simply does not respond to this, stating “Waiting for response” then after a few seconds reversing to the reminder that “The loco have to be on the program rail track” (sic).

anyway, I’m clearly going to have to look elsewhere but I really do appreciate your assistance.

Best wishes,

ian

Hello Ian,

Is there any way you can control a loco on that programming track i.e. make it move. It could be that the loco is not making a connection to the track - dirty track or wheels or combination of the two. Being able to control it would, at least, give you assurance the loco could connect. Back in 2018 they stated that the Z21 could only read Zimo chips "but will be able to read others shortly". To read other chips back then you had to use the "Manual" option rather than the POM. Do you have a blue bar in the top right corner indicating its all working?

• 6 months later...

Hi there,

I just wanted to drop you a line, Ian, as a young modeller, just going over the hump from "ooh toy trains" to more serious modelling. This thread has been so inspiring- and given me so many ideas!- that I have created this account simply to be able to thank you, and to wish you well with your health (and future fettling!)

Very best,

Chris

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1