Smithdown Road Junction

shanks522

Graham

Excellent layout, can't wait to see it in the flesh. God knows how I have missed it up to now, but won't miss anymore as I have sub'ed.

Loved the videos of the cats, a very brave move as I was waiting for one of them to leap after a train, wouldn't dare do that with ours.

As already expressed but feel the need to repeat, you have achieved such realsim and interest in such a small space without that "overkill" look, superb.

Keep up the fantastic work as it is inspirational and could easily convert some of us 4mmers over to the dark side of 2mm.

Paul

Hi Paul, 

Thank you for the comments about the layout, most kind.

The cats, From a young age i've had both railways and cats, Some of the cats have no interest and others love them, These two just like watching the trains go round, they occasionally consider climbing over the layout but loud voice from dad keeps them in check.

Cheers

Graham. 

Hi Graham

I have been looking for the inspiration to build an N scale layout and having only just discovered this thread today I know I have finally tound it. What a magnificent layout in every respect!

My goal is to do something similar, (well, you can only dream), but featuring SE London/North Kent in the late 50s and early 60s and my beloved Kent Coast electrics.

Thank you for sharing you work with us.

Now looking forward to coming to Tonbidge.

Gerry

Hi Graham. Just found the thread and read it right through. What a fantastic job you have done! It really is a superb layout. I am particularly impressed with your weathered ballast, something I've never been able to do to my satisfaction. Am I right in assuming you laid the track, ballasted and then sprayed the whole area with Precision Track Dirt? 

Des

Hi Gerry/ Des

Thank you for the comments about the layout.

Gerry - Good luck with your Layout, 50's/60's third rail is something i may consider doing next, quite fancy a worn out Q1 on a freight next to brand new EMU's.

Des - Yep got it in one, the track was laid direct to the board, ballasted with Woodland scenics (brown i think) fine ballast then sprayed with track dirt from an aerosol, I've touched up a few place's with a paintbrush and also painted the mainline rail sides but thats about it.

Cheers

Graham.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Gordon, 

Thanks, As it happens i'm working on the layout now preparing for the weekend, will post a couple of pics later. 

Thanks. Out of interest, what did you paint the mainline rail sides with. Des

Des, Apologies for the late reply, I think i painted the rail sides with Precision Track dirt, one of those moments when i had some on the brush and it did the job.

Cheers

Graham.

Hello all,

I've spent a few hours today making some finishing touches to the layout, Most of the time has been spent adding figures etc, also touching up paintwork but the main work was completing the cloth around the layout, I bought some fire proof black material a while ago to be fitted around the base but my sewing skills are non existent so i enrolled the help of my mum, She has done a brilliant job of doing it especially with me cracking the whip and i'm really pleased with the result. 

I've still got a few tweaks to do tomorrow and there's plenty of rolling stock to keep me busy but i'm reasonably happy now for the layout's first outing on Sat at Tonbridge.

post-6774-0-05149600-1360874230_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Graham.

Hello all,

Well the Layout survived it's first exhibition, I've been blown away today by the many complimentary comments from people and really pleased the public like it, I've met a few RM Webber's, Cromptonnut, Gordon D, and MR Simon to name a few and it was very nice to have chat etc. The layout behaved itself very well with only a couple of derailments mainly due to operator error not setting points etc. I'm feeling rather tired now as i didn't get the layout boxed till 11 0'clock last night, so much for a couple of tweaks here and there, add that to an early start and a fairly long day and i'm well overdue for a few pints now,

Cheers.

Graham.

Hi Graham

Great layout you have here and excellent YouTube clips, I like the plenty of directions that you can take a rake of coach/wagon in and the split level is great... Keep up with the excellent work and will follow with interest...,

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Well the Layout survived it's first exhibition, I've been blown away today by the many complimentary comments from people and really pleased the public like it, I've met a few RM Webber's, Cromptonnut, Gordon D, and MR Simon to name a few and it was very nice to have chat etc. The layout behaved itself very well with only a couple of derailments mainly due to operator error not setting points etc. I'm feeling rather tired now as i didn't get the layout boxed till 11 0'clock last night, so much for a couple of tweaks here and there, add that to an early start and a fairly long day and i'm well overdue for a few pints now,

Cheers.

Graham.

Graham

I only had chance for a very quick glimpse today but it did look good.

Hopefully will get chance in the future on the exhibition circuit to have a good look.

Anyway I hope you are enjoying a few well deserved pints.. We are!

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

Since the layouts first show a couple of weeks ago i have been muling over a few idea's to improve things a little, First off space, The layout is just shy of 7 foot 6 inches in length and three grown men standing behind it to operate is a little tight to say the least, What i need to do is install point motors to all the fiddle yard sidings so theres no need to reach over each other fighting to change points etc, It means having to build yet more panels for specific areas of the layout but i'm sure it'l make life a lot easier.

Another idea i've been kicking around for a while was part automation of the fiddle yard, I can't do it to the freight or Down main as trains need to reverse to access sidings but the UP line (Inner track circuit) has just loops, I've ordered a system from heathcote electronics (no connection) that will slow trains down, stop them, set the points and start the next so that i can let the Up line look after itself. I'm feeling reasonably confident that i can fit it so it can be switched between auto and manual, more to do with the points than anything else, Should keep me busy for a while? 

Other news, The layout has stayed boxed up since the show but today i received a nice little package and its contents had to be tested.

Started with this pair a few months ago, beautiful models but a shame there was nothing to put in the middle, I know there are vinyl overlays available but i don't like mixing paint finish and vinyl.

post-6774-0-36573100-1362174498_thumb.jpg

So instead i got a nice fellow to paint these.

post-6774-0-90738000-1362174502_thumb.jpg

post-6774-0-55776600-1362174513_thumb.jpg

Very pleased with the results and now i can keep an eye on the trackwork of Smithdown Rd Junction. 

Cheers

Graham.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Graham,

The measurement train looks amazing!  Very impressed :D I share your feelings about mixing paint with vinyls.

Do you have time to make the changes before its next being exhibition?

Cheers

Simon

Archived