Alternative routes and destinations that weren't to be

• RMweb Premium

I know the Hincaster to Arnside branch pretty well (hence the username). Not sure where I read about the direct line to Milnthorpe, will have to dig out a few books. I agree though, it would be an odd choice and I seem to recall that it never got surveyed.

Now this one has got me thinking......

I was looking at doing a model of Haverthwaite in BR days, 1/4mile between the two tunnels, so around 5 meters in 4mm scale...... Not got that much room.

Than I was thinking Greenodd.....But, having read this....

What if the line at Greenodd went left and followed the track to Blackbeck gun powder works and tramway, through the Hamlet of Bouth, and round to Haverthwaite, Newby Bridge and Lakeside?

It would then allow me to do my own "what could have been" for Bouth station in keeping with the same style bulidings as Greenodd, Haverthwaite and Lakeside!!!

I am so glad I found this thread, nice one Sandside

Kind regards

Ian

• 5 months later...

According to the West Lancashire Railway book, the route was Wigan to Longton, running powers over the WLR to Preston and then a new line from Preston to Blackpool

That's interesting. 

So, instead of Preston Fishergate Hill, you'd have a through station at "Preston Central" (presumably in the same area), and then a line through the docks to Blackpool, perhaps with joint running rights to Blackpool Central via the Blackpool South Line? 

This makes me think of an idea for a model at some point. Preston Central as a run down station at the end of the 1960s, served by the odd DMU, while the docks lines remain busy. Interesting...

• 4 years later...

That's interesting. 

So, instead of Preston Fishergate Hill, you'd have a through station at "Preston Central" (presumably in the same area), and then a line through the docks to Blackpool, perhaps with joint running rights to Blackpool Central via the Blackpool South Line? 

This makes me think of an idea for a model at some point. Preston Central as a run down station at the end of the 1960s, served by the odd DMU, while the docks lines remain busy. Interesting...

That was the earlier, 1890s proposal, although the "Blackpool Railway" (formal title) would have been quite independent of the L&Y. Rather like the CLC route to Southport.

There was a subsequent proposal for a line from Wigan Central to Heysham, with a branch to Blackpool. I don't recall the route exactly - I think it was pretty much a straight line - but I believe Wigan Libraries hold details. It would certainly not have involved the West Lancashire Railway, by then part of the L&Y. It was a pure GC proposal, although I strongly suspect they hoped to get the Midland on board.

• RMweb Premium

That's interesting. 

There is a plan of the proposed changes here https://www.flickr.com/photos/rpsmithbarney/4336274830 Fishergate Hill is in the centre marked 'West Lancs Sta disused,' and the Dock Branch runs bottom right to top left.

I'm not sure about the 'Preston Central' name, if Fishergate Hill had been extended and remained open, it is likely the main station further up Fishergate would have become 'Preston Central.'  If you are looking for a new name for Fishergate Hill how about Preston Broadgate?  If built it could (would?) have affected the development of the area, perhaps with a later station building fronting on to Broadgate?

There are more details here http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/p/preston_west_lancashire/of what actually happened together with some photos.

HTH

Moxy

• 5 months later...

There was a 1845 proposal for a line from a junction at Kirkby on the  ELR  to take a route through Melling , Cunscough, Maghull , Aughton  and thus to Preston terminating at a  junction at Farington

There was  also a plan at one time for an overhead electric railway from Southport via Birkdale and Halsall Moss to Ormskirk!

The British newspaper Archive is a great source of info for these things.

This same source also revealed details of two previously unknown  (to me at least )  (19th  rail accidents at Kirkby and at Maghull. Fascinating reading.

Len

Archived