Was there ever a kit for Johnson 3F 0-6-0T

edward66

I recently missed a model of the Johnson 3F 0-6-0T, precursor of the Jinty, in it's later form with Belpaire firebox and Jinty style cab on e-Bay which made me wonder if there ever was a kit for this loco and if so who made it and is it still available.Anybody know?

Edward

I recently missed a model of the Johnson 3F 0-6-0T, precursor of the Jinty, in it's later form with Belpaire firebox and Jinty style cab on e-Bay which made me wonder if there ever was a kit for this loco and if so who made it and is it still available.Anybody know?

Edward

The Johnson 1F was covered by a K's Bodyline whitemetal kit and also by a Craftsman brass kit (both half cab and full cab, belpair and round top). Horse is correct, the 3F version superficially, very similar to a Jinty but with vertical backed bubker, was done by Gibson.

Tony

K's bodyline kit was for the 3F, not the 1F and was actually reasonably accurate. Fitting it on to the wrong wheelbase frame didn't make any difference as the leading splasher was in approximately the right place.

Michael Edge

Definitely a 3F! Yes, I actually built one! It was the original Johnson version, with the old-style Midland cab. Didn't Deeley rebuild them into the Jinty style?

There was a bodyshell on e-Bay which looked very much like a K's product. It looked like a 1F because the footplate ahead of the smokebox is longer and it has the "piano lid" below the smokebox door. [i compared it with a photo of 47201]. This one also had the Johnson cab and a round top firebox.

The 3Fs received Fowler cabs and Belpaire fireboxes but retained the higher tank sides that step down for the cab and the flat backed bunkers. That plus the shorter smokeboxes made them considerably different from the Jinties.

Thanks for all the helpful replies folks!

Edward

Definitely a 3F! Yes, I actually built one! It was the original Johnson version, with the old-style Midland cab. Didn't Deeley rebuild them into the Jinty style?

Last year I managed to get a kit for the Belpaire version of the Midland 3FT. It was made by Craftsman (then of Torquay) in whitemetal as a 'body only' kit to fit a Triang chassis (should be able to make it fit a Bachmann chassis I hope). I had not been aware of this kit before so goodness knows when it was made.

• RMweb Premium

Those were the days! You could buy a body kit for next to nowt, spend a happy afternoon sticking or soldering the dozen or so bits together and another doing a bit of detailing if you were that way inclined. The J50 was my first attempt at a loco kit and to this day it doesn't look too bad.

They even had a crew cast in already!

There is something very nostalgic about the simple pleasures that we seem to have forgotten now that we have our 200 part finest detail etched kits. I wonder if anybody launched such a kit today, which made up into an accurate but basic model at a sensible price, would it sell? It would to me.

There is something very nostalgic about the simple pleasures that we seem to have forgotten now that we have our 200 part finest detail etched kits. I wonder if anybody launched such a kit today, which made up into an accurate but basic model at a sensible price, would it sell? It would to me.

There really ought to be a niche for modelling with this kind of stuff. It is poo-pooed by many people but surely it is as valid as the Lone Star, Trix Twin and other gems that are accepted because they are museum or collectors pieces.

• RMweb Premium

There really ought to be a niche for modelling with this kind of stuff. It is poo-pooed by many people but surely it is as valid as the Lone Star, Trix Twin and other gems that are accepted because they are museum or collectors pieces.

I have a drawer full of such kits. Mostly GCR stuff like McGowan Atlantic, Millholme Q4 and Fish Engine, Ks O4 and GNR Atlantic. I get a great deal of pleasure from taking a basic or even dreadful kit and "doing a job" on it until somebody raises an eyebrow when they are told where it came from.

Edward

K's 3F's come up very often on Ebay, most have been built. But are very easy to take apart if done badly. May need the odd step and quite often the Ramsbottom safety valves have been broken off. I have rebuilt one in D&DJR livery and another in MR livery

Southeastern Finecast noiw do an etched brass replacement chassis. Comet or Gibson chassis can be made to fit. Plenty of other parts are available to superdetail if required.

There really ought to be a niche for modelling with this kind of stuff. It is poo-pooed by many people .

There are plenty of these old kits available cheaply on Ebay. They may need a dunk in Caustic Soda or a paint with paint stripper to take back to a kit of parts. Also some parts may be missing but companies like Southeastern Finecast are happy to sell parts (Wills kits) which will also fit other makes.

Just take a few minuets looking at Ebay as its great satisfaction rebuilding a badly made or painted loco into something decent

Edit

Forgot to say for those who do not like chassis building, many of these old kits (Wills, McGowan, GEM etc) used RTR chassis. So as a first step into loco building they are great starter kits.

Ironically 3mm/ft still have quiet a range of these type of kits. Gem produced them originally but 3SMR now produce the same kits. (no Midland shunters though :P)

It was indeed Model Rail, George Dent done it ('scuse the grammar, I just like the way that sounds). It was a fair bit of work, shorter smokebox, tank height altered, plus the bunker of course, but it did look the part. I'm not sure a Bachmann chassis would fit a bodyline kit, whitemetal is thicker than the plastic and there isn't a lot of room.

The resin kits like Dean Sidings and Golden Arrow have come into that niche, most fit on an RTR chassis probably with a better sense of acceptable compromise than was the case 40 years ago. That said, you can't beat whitemetal for creating haulage power.

• RMweb Premium

The K's one (as photographed and in my memory) is clearly a round top boiler but the OP refers to a belpaire firebox loco, so perhaps the one mentioned as being missed on e-Bay wasn't a K's one after all, or it had been altered. The mystery thickens.......

Archived