BR built Period 3 coach liveries

• RMweb Premium

I've just started building a set of coaches for a Midland Division express circa 1950, and so I am wondering what the livery for coaches built just before the introduction of crimson/cream would be?

In particular is it likely that they would all be maroon rather than crimson lake? Also what colour would the lining have been given that most coaches of the era don't appear to have received the "proper" 1946 livery style numbers?

Thanks,

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Jenkinson & Essery LMS Coaches an illustrated history has shots of coaches built in BR days in 1948 in crimson and cream, those built just prior to Nationalisation were turned out in full LMS 1946 livery - so you could have some in this with the LMS branding removed and an "M" added to the coach number. (so no LMS letters, no LMS coat of arms two lining bands above the windows and a washed out cream/ black /washed out cream line at waste level)

• RMweb Premium

so you could have some in this with the LMS branding removed and an "M" added to the coach number. (so no LMS letters, no LMS coat of arms two lining bands above the windows and a washed out cream/ black /washed out cream line at waste level)

Chessieliner,

Thanks for this. It was the old style LMS numbers, rather than the 1946 type, applied to those coaches built just after nationalisation (e.g. the D.2121 FK) that had me confused i.e. would they have washed out cream lining, but yellow scroll pattern numbers or would the lining be yellow as well?

Simon

The LMS adopted a darker colour than prewar crimson lake after the war, and referred to it as maroon. Lining was chrome yellow with shaded yellow insignia and serif numerals on the majority of coaches (flat-top '3' was a characteristic of postwar repaints).

Some mainline coaches got what was referred to as 1946 livery which carried straw lining and unshaded straw insignia. There are photos showing complete trains with bright lining and so I think one can assume they were in the 1946 "straw" livery . How many coaches were finished like this is anyones guess but pictures of individual coaches outshopped following Nationalization had postwar yellow lining and 'M' prefix numbers in LMS shaded insignia until BR Gil Sans was adopted.

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks Coachman. That's really helpful. Sorry for the slow reply, but I've been away from a computer for a few days.

Now I just need to get on and build the coaches!

Simon

Archived