Farish Class 85?

Gummy-Joe

As unlikely as it probably is in the near future, I would rather like a couple of these in N :

31-678

Bachmann UK

Class 85 (AL5) Electric 85026 in BR Blue with single pantograph

Is anybody else excited by the prospect of the forthcoming Bachmann OO AL5 / Class 85 perhaps one day 'going through the shrink ray'?

And while I'm at it, a Class 81 would be nice too... :P

I think this one is a matter of patience - might be this year's announcement, might be next, but probably will happen in the next few years. The good news is that it at least has a few stable mates in N already (even if some of them could do with upgrades) so might encourage some supporting liveries for those.

Would be nice but apparently the guys from Farish aren't that impressed with the sales of the 87, 90 or 91 so I wouldn't hold your breath.

That's old news and market conditions have changed. Bachmann are pretty comitted to maintaining inew ntroductions into both scales, there's normally a lag (sometimes not so much), and you can point straight at the forthcoming 350 in N for Bachmann's comitment to OHE.

Would be nice but apparently the guys from Farish aren't that impressed with the sales of the 87, 90 or 91 so I wouldn't hold your breath

That was an oft quoted line in the past, things are a little different now with regards electrics although Dapol only produced rail blue 86's under a dealer limited edition (and some were still left recently).

Hi Guys;

A Class 85 (and 81) would be awesome. There are a few subtle livery differences available which lend themselves to special riuns, either for dealers or Collectors Club.

Apart from the obvious Electric Blue & Rail Blue, there was the preserved 85/1 in mythical Railfreight livery (and we know how some people like 'might have beens'. Also a couple were outshopped with a cabside emblem instead of in the centre(85002 springs to mind).

On another note, wouldn't it be nice if Collector's Club models were sold at RRP less the subscription fee (for locos anyway!!!)

Late;

STU from EGDL

That was an oft quoted line in the past, things are a little different now with regards electrics although Dapol only produced rail blue 86's under a dealer limited edition (and some were still left recently).

Although these Class 86 models are named and have plated over route indicators, specific to the tail end of the Blue period... How would sales have been if the availability of the models was greater (i.e. selling at the large online 'box-shifters' for £8-15 less)? It'd be nice to see Dapol take a punt and release a rail blue model with route indicator panels, centre arrows, & the upgraded pantos. If they were really generous they might even tool some new bogies and release an as-built AL6, and an 86/0.

Would be nice but apparently the guys from Farish aren't that impressed with the sales of the 87, 90 or 91 so I wouldn't hold your breath.

I find it amazing that they could look to these models and conclude that a new AC model, to their current all-singing-all-dancing high standards, wouldn't sell better. Did they concluded that the new A1 might be a seller based on the sales of their dire A3s and A4s...? Producing some early condition AC locos could also bring the steam/diesel transition market into play.

I can't help but think that one of the main reasons that 25kv AC models don't sell so well as other subjects is the lack of a convincing proprietary overhead system. Maybe if Dapol were to expand their range of masts (particularly with some large, heavy duty, multi-track portals), there might be more interest in AC locos.

I can't help but think that one of the main reasons that 25kv AC models don't sell so well as other subjects is the lack of a convincing proprietary overhead system. Maybe if Dapol were to expand their range of masts (particularly with some large, heavy duty, multi-track portals), there might be more interest in AC locos.

Someone bought the Dapol blue/grey MkIII loco hauled stock and I doubt it was all to model Glasgow-Edinburgh push-pull trains so there must as you say be demand for 70/80s WCML stock, we can hope that more 86s in earlier liveries and without flexicoil suspension come about. I think Bachmann offering an N 85 may be enough to spur that production.

Someone bought the Dapol blue/grey MkIII loco hauled stock and I doubt it was all to model Glasgow-Edinburgh push-pull trains so there must as you say be demand for 70/80s WCML stock

I know I've half a dozen ready to go, and they're definitely not for Scottish push-pulls :-p

• 2 weeks later...

May I put the record straight on the Dapol BR Blue Class 86s, please.

I was the person who commissioned these from Dapol, and this was done as a result of Dapol having NOT expressed any intention to do this version when the 86 was first announced. If I had not commssioned them, you would probably still be waiting for them to be produced!

My price has now been somewhat reduced, as we still have stocks of these models some 18 months after release. My hope was that as BR Blue is so popular, we might have sold them all be now, with a view to then moving on to do another project. But this will not happen in the near future.

Mike

• 9 months later...

May I put the record straight on the Dapol BR Blue Class 86s, please.

I was the person who commissioned these from Dapol, and this was done as a result of Dapol having NOT expressed any intention to do this version when the 86 was first announced. If I had not commssioned them, you would probably still be waiting for them to be produced!

All I can say is 'well done Mike'!!!!! ....a very grateful customer here :yes:

My hope was that as BR Blue is so popular, we might have sold them all be now, with a view to then moving on to do another project. But this will not happen in the near future.

It's sad to know that sales haven't been so good on these, as you say it puts retailers off doing these special editions.

I'm definately in the market for a few 85s though - should an N gauge one happen to appear of course :D

Cheers

Lee

The Dapol 86 is a modern spec model with a good mechanism. The impression I have got is the sales of these have not been as Dapol hoped which is why the 92 and Pendolino got put "on the back burner". Not everyone wishes to model a 4-track mainline so I am not sure the lack of OHEL equipment is a big hindrance. Dapol's catenary is adequate for representing twin-track routes so I suspect are good enough for the majority of modellers.

Classes 86, 87 and 90 are available along with stock to represent most WCML formations from elecrtification until the arrival of the Pendolino. Yes EMUs for the suburban services are missing which is a shame but there are options. Unless you are modelling the southern end of the WCML, you canb probably get away with using the assorted Sprinters for local services as these could often be found under the wires.

I like OHEL subjects and modelled the CWML in 00 many years ago (long before Hornby thought of producing anything as useful as a Mk3 DVT ;)). Whether the draw-backs are real or just perceived, the fact seems to remain that overhead electrics do not sell that well. I hope that is proves to be a "chicken and egg" scenario where one or two more releases (maybe a nice 321) would be enough to tempt a significant number of modellers to take up the subject but so far that does not seem to have happened. This is a shame as N gauge is the ideal scale for representing these long trains.

• RMweb Gold

Hi guys no secret that despite much talk of buying OLE and electrics the reduced prices seen on such items tells it all - they are not selling. Desiros are reduced to less than £100 and 86s on Liverpool`s well known seller are bargain prices - perhaps price pitched too high to start ?

85 good for me too perhaps for the 14 of us in this thread a rapid prototype body on 86 chassis would do - or a TPM resin body - Bernard will tell you that sales of his high spec body not vast -even allowing for Farish effort.

Dapol dave will know how development or not progresses for gantry stuff for station areas after releasing plain track masts. N Brass do a good range of brass kits - and not that fiddly it has to be said!

Not to forget Electra/ N trains 313 and 325 kits are nearly to hand

Only by buying the models will we as consumers direct the manufacturers into creating follow up items.

304/310/ APT/ Penny the pendolino/ 317/321 ... 89?? plus re-done 87/90/91 First two offer a range of look a likes as well.

Well if I win lottery I know what to spend it on !

Robert

• 3 weeks later...

I am considering down sizing from 00 to N and one of the models that would spur me on would indeed be a Farish Class 85.

Farish and Dapol have much to cater for modellers of the WCML with its decent Mk1 Mk2 and Mk3 coaches and (less so) 86, 87 and 90 models but I would like to see the Farish 87 and 90 benefit from retools as I believe these models are fairly dated on the outside even if the guts are very good on the inside.

Running 12 and 13 coach trains is one of the obvious benefits of N over 00 and one of the reasons for me considering the change.

I do find it surprising to hear that the rail blue Dapol 86s were slow to sell.  Very surprising in fact.

And like the 00 class 85 a class 81 would seem to be a sensible follow up given the similarities.  Time will tell but I come back to the old argument that the manufacturers are beginning to run out of new models to release and will be looking to other classes to keep things turning over.

Farish and Dapol have much to cater for modellers of the WCML with its decent Mk1 Mk2 and Mk3 coaches and (less so) 86, 87 and 90 models but I would like to see the Farish 87 and 90 benefit from retools as I believe these models are fairly dated on the outside even if the guts are very good on the inside.

Erm, we don't actually have decent MK2 coaches - yet, and the the Dapol 86 is more than decent I'll have you know. The 87 is better than the 90 IMO (it's a later release from Poole) but both would definately benefit from a complete makeover.

I do find it surprising to hear that the rail blue Dapol 86s were slow to sell. Very surprising in fact.

It's probably because they were a special commision and through a single retailer who is obviously keenly aware of how quickly the batch sold. If they had been a normal production batch I think they would have sold a bit quicker and without a single retailer worrying about "carrying the can" on it. Though as I understand it, if they'd not lept in, the BR Blue ones and the different front end tooling wouldn't have been made. At least it means now future batches with that front end can now be made.

I bought both of these not wanting those new fangled liveries :)

Archived