Discount for Seniors at Model Railway Exhibitions

flyingscotsman55

For £7.50 someone can spend a whole day at Railex if they wish not bad value for money in my book, do you get senior rate when you buy a coffee, tea or sandwich?

David

Several pubs offer special lunch deals for pensioners. Though a couple have recently changed the wording.

At Railex you always seem to be on top of things. If it means no discount for the old uns or a price increase for the rest then it's a no brainer to me.

As I have found out when running cycling events it is usually those with the most money who want to argue over the pennies.

Bernard

As organiser of RAILEX NORTH EAST for the Blyth & Tyne Model Railway Society we made the decision to discontinue the Senior rate. This decision was not taken lightly, but our research has highlighted that the Senior Citizerns numbers have increased each year. Costs for organising the show have also increased in every area, so as a voluntary organisation we have to raise the income to cover the costs. We have also increased the trade fees, organised more sponsorship and cut costs where we can. We hope this will be enough to prevent any further increase in admission fees for a few more years but we will have to see.

At £5 for all Adults to see 40+ layouts, 15 Demos & 22 Traders I think it is good value for up to seven hours, when you compare the price to some other activities.

And that sounds terrific value for anyone!

My point was not that Seniors deserve a discount - just don't trot out the tired, old excuses why they shouldn't. If you slice the demographics up at any age in life the income will always look like a pyramid - a few are getting the big income, the majority are not.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

If we are going to argue it (which Im not) , Id suggest that the unemployed ( there seems to be a fair few these days), families with kids, and students deserve a few pence off the admission as much, if not more so than older people...

maybe I just live in places where pensioners have a few quid ;).

you're annoying me - I've spent my whole life paying in, and now you're telling me that someone who possibly hasn't contributed anything should reap all ghe benefit of that?

Behave.....

And that sounds terrific value for anyone!

My point was not that Seniors deserve a discount - just don't trot out the tired, old excuses why they shouldn't. If you slice the demographics up at any age in life the income will always look like a pyramid - a few are getting the big income, the majority are not.

Best, Pete.

The point I was trying to get across is as more Senior Citizerns are attending the shows compared to other ages and the price of shows are going up the cost to attend the shows have to be changed and spread out more evenly between the different age groups.

I do think £5 to attend a show with at least 40+ layouts etc is good value, as I have been to shows with at least half the number of layouts and being charged £5-£6.

Two of the major Railway Exhibitions have discontinued a discount for Seniors. I have not seen any reasons why this has been done. Are they in colusion with the Train Operating Companys so that when fares go up, they feel they have the right to put admission prices up?

Not a clever first post, but giving you the benefit of the doubt...

Speaking as a Show Treasurer; every Show will be different and will tailor their pricing structure to suit the demographics of their audience (in terms of maximising revenue and fair distribution of costs).

I can assure you there isn't even any 'colusion' or price fixing between different exhibitions, so wild accusations about 'colusion' with other bodies is pure fantasy on your part.

At Hull last year, we decided to simplify the pricing be removing the Senior discount and the family group ticket, but at the same time we reduced the Child rate to only £1 (which meant a family of 2 Adults+2 Children actually cost £1 less than the previous year...) Total number of complaints about this? one...

One final thought: what % discount do Hornby and Bachmann give you on your rolling stock purchases for being over a specified age??

Paul

As I have found out when running cycling events it is usually those with the most money who want to argue over the pennies.

As secretary of a medieval reenactment group, our most heated and lengthy discussions were over food costs. We spent an age (half an hour?) discussing whether we should charge per meal or per day (at the time the food cost £5 for a weekend, part subsidised anyway), which would allow people to opt out as required. In contrast, the purchase of new group armour at £350/helmet was passed with just a show of hands. :no:

Mickey,

Sorry, I deleted my post you quoted because I was unhappy with the tone.

Digging deep into my memory of the '70's and '80's quite a few exhibitions did in fact offer discounts for the Unemployed and OAPs as they called them then.

Mind you if I was unemployed with a Wife and Children the last thing I'd be doing is building a layout - but to go to see some could indeed be a lifesaver...

Best, Pete.

Each exhibition team is at liberty to set their own pricing structure with or without concessions.

Each attendee is at liberty to decide if they wish to pay the price for admission.

What more needs to be said ? and nothing needs to be argued about.

We do offer a discounted rate for entry to Railex in the form of advance postal tickets, and this is open to all not just seniors. I expect most show do something simular.

Within the whole visiting cost of going to a show I would expect the entry cost is a small amount compaired to cost to getting to the show, the amount spent with traders and a tea coffee and a sandwich or meal within or outside the show.

Also we offer on Sunday free children with an ticket buying adult.

David

• RMweb Gold

It is about attitude - that of the individual. I am 63, wouldn't dream of asking for a reduction if I get to 65. As a retired railwayman, many stuffed preserved railways offer a discount - I have never asked for one, preferring to pay full fare as it's going into the railway's funds. A colleague was flogging Talyllyn tickets at Tywyn many years ago, and a very senior BR manager came and asked for privilege rate, to my mate's disappointment. On the other hand I'm happy to use my free pass on the national network and LT buses and trains, as I regard that as a perk of my career. I also pay half-price on TGVs and Eurostars - these are all commercial concerns.

Pete - Sorry for any offence caused by my repeating the tale of the old guy with the bus pass - I realise that this was an isolated case and I wasn't suggesting that he's an idiot, but it just seemed so funny strange that he knew exactly where his bus pass was but hadn't a clue about his cash - why not get them both out of his pocket at the same time and enter the building prepared to pay.

Mike

Mike, I wasn't picking on you. There are some "idiots" of all ages!

Which is what I suggested in my post. It is too easy to generalize and end up sounding bigoted - I've done it myself, regretably.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Also we offer on Sunday free children with an ticket buying adult.

Can we decline the free child, puts me off attending on a Sunday to be honest.

As Bernard commented, in my experience of manning the door at Wigan, those who complain the most have the biggest wad of notes in their wallet when they eventually open it.

This thread seems to be a re-run of one in June/July 2010, though in that one the OP was on the opposite side.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/18075-exhibition-entry-prices-and-consessions/page__fromsearch__1

I tried to put the case for the senior discount, but withdrew worsted when it became obvious that opinion was largely against it.

I'll repeat my final post back in that thread, then retire from the fray once more -

"Look, I can accept most of the arguments against the OAP concession on economic grounds, and I've every sympathy with the clubs and exhibitors who put on the shows that enrich my own modelling. However, I don't accept that most of those asking for a discount are a load of dishonest, wealthy, carping, whinging ingrates - to summarise assorted points from some posts. I'm not specifically arguing with "298" here, nor with any good faith contributors, but the cumulative effect has been overwhelming."

" I don't accept that most of those asking for a discount are a load of dishonest, wealthy, carping, whinging ingrates - to summarise assorted points from some posts. I'm not specifically arguing with "298" here, nor with any good faith contributors, but the cumulative effect has been overwhelming."

I do not think that this is the main issue the point is that thee are people of all ages that have very limited if any income. Therefore is it fair to one group of these people who unfortunately find themselves in this situation receive special treatment, just because of their age?

The fat wallet. large notes argument is valld for all ages groups as well! A few years ago I managed a Computer Repair Centre where we had lots of the rich. famous and politicians. Whist there were some truly nice genuine people, there were some including one prominent person in the latter category, from North of the border, who were rude and thought it was their right not to pay anything for a equipment or services because of who he was.

XF

• RMweb Gold

I do not think that this is the main issue the point is that thee are people of all ages that have very limited if any income. Therefore is it fair to one group of these people who unfortunately find themselves in this situation receive special treatment, just because of their age?

This really goes back to the comment I passed earlier wondering if the show organisers make their decision for commercial or social reasons. For example the organisers could decide that 'as all OFs are rich' they want more of them through the doors to keep the traders happy (a slight exaggeration but these things can cut two ways). Or if it is for 'social reasons' we might well see more of those 'Half Price for children, OAPS, and UB40s' signs that were so prevalent a few years ago. And if they want to be truly 'social' we'll probably all have to show the last couple of years' tax returns or a 'certificate of poverty/wealth from HMRC.

The decision is down to the organisers although judging by this thread whichever way they jump they'll be damned if they do and damned if they don't.

At what age do you consider ' a senior ' to be . Bus pass age or OAP age ?

Determining pension age is now in itself a problem due to all the government changes. For example you can no longer get a bus pass at 60 :cry:

As for free children with your ticket beast66606 beat me to it :rolleyes:

Mal

I whole heartedly agree with Beast, Ive done my fair share of time on the door at shows and its those that have most moan most. I suppose logically thinking here, thats how they made their brass in the first place. there are also the inumerable arguments - and yes it does happen - "Im a pensioner" - looking very agile and young for their age "You do look young for your age sir, can i see your bus pass"" "how dare you etc etc".

The decisions on this are purely economic, with an ageing demograph of the audience as an organiser you cant afford the discount these days. For the ones you lose, and it is few, you gain far more. There are, as many point out other deserving cases - me for a starter, Ive not had a pay rise in 4 years and not likely to get any for another 4 years. By which time I will be able to retire having my 40 years in, and still wouldnt dream of asking for a discount on the door.

We keep hearing how we should be encouraging younger modellers - maybe the trick would be to give them a reduced entry price? he says stirring the pot once more.

• RMweb Gold

We keep hearing how we should be encouraging younger modellers - maybe the trick would be to give them a reduced entry price? he says stirring the pot once more.

At least you can be certain they haven't got a fat wallet in most cases! A suitably significant reduction seems in order - subject to the price not being so attractive that it encourages a number of young towrags in hoodies to come in from the cold and run rampage!

Determining pension age is now in itself a problem due to all the government changes. For example you can no longer get a bus pass at 60 :cry:

As for free children with your ticket beast66606 beat me to it :rolleyes:

Mal

HI All

Your right about the bus pass being 60 as all of a sudden "most from what i can see" every one thought at 60 you could get discount, we noticed that one at ST Andrews exhibition and we changed to adults only price.

There were some moans and groans from the odd person but as others have pointed out when you start getting to the point where 50% were claiming to be concessions that ceases to be.

One argued that it was the principle of the thing!!!! i asked what Principle was that!!!

Regards Arran

You'll be asking the over sixties to return their 'Winter Fuel Allowance' next :no:

Have you ever run a show and had to come out on the right side!!!!

At most shows the entry price is probably the smallest amount your going to spend , at small shows your paying on average £4.00 at large shows you say £10.00 and at halls like the NEC or the SECC your paying out big money to hold these events.

At the like of the NEC i bet the Warley show will be one of the cheapest events to attend , just a thought.

Regards Arran

Archived