My 16mm Modelling Efforts

LH&JC

• RMweb Gold

Here's a selection of photos from September to December last year, there are a load from an informal running day after Christmas to follow.

Mountaineer working with other locos seemed to happen quite a bit, to be fair it was necessary on the last two photos as the rail heads were dirty and it was affecting Mountaineer's ability to haul heavy loads.

29673352595_fcb89411bd_c.jpg

31117644076_26932608e3_c.jpg

31153823245_aa99a3a9a5_c.jpg

31117658786_c019cfcd8e_c.jpg

Due to a windy forecast for the November running day Beddgelert was out as high winds can blow out the fires on externally fired locos. When the day came there was no wind but with damp in the air Beddgelert was showing a fair bit of steam. 

30346273293_cb7ac033da_c.jpg

30332150674_20954dd935_c.jpg

31153687755_39a0f54122_c.jpg

The Mamod has been in the works a bit having a larger meths tank fitted and Roy Wood cylinders and reversing block from the same stable added to cure her rather lacklustre performances. At the moment the only things left to do are to fit the name (Baz) and worksplates once they arrive.

post-6756-0-15663700-1483713919.jpg 

post-6756-0-78610000-1483713923.jpg

During the last scheduled running day of 2016 Dylan was out once more and I evidently put too much meths in her tank at some point hence the fire around the front pot. 

post-6756-0-98744100-1483713927.jpg

post-6756-0-42785300-1483713932.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mike, Beddgelert is indeed sat on a piece of line intended steaming up. It was intended for meths fired locos as it gives easy access to the wicks and the plate of steel under the track is hinged so you can easily see if the wicks are lit. If you do flood the burners then any burning meths will fall to the ground instead of burning the trackbed. However it's also useful for any loco as when clearing condensate from the cylinders it falls to the ground instead of pooling between the sleepers and the same can go for cleaning the lubricator.

Onto photos from Wednesday 28th. It was bitterly cold all day with the standing ice on the rail heads making  the line impassible for the first trains out. The first train out was a heavily modified Mamod with a rake of skips before the lines had been cleared, the rails on this section weren't that bad as the sunlight had softened the ice up nicely.

31991752352_aa9b643658_c.jpg

Dylan was next out unfortunately she ran out of meths before completing half a lap Mountaineer was sent out. The heavy 2-6-2 however was struggling to move even herself on the icy rails, retiring to a loop at the earliest chance.

32021992881_c446197b7f_c.jpg

32022036101_2283152232_c.jpg

Due to the ice Mountaineer beat a retreat running wrong line back to the steaming bay

32101939976_d8a78cf596_c.jpg

With the ice cleared Dylan was sent out again with a light load.32022069001_506b58e62b_c.jpg

31991661562_faebe7678b_c.jpg

Then I decided to send Mountaineer out at the same time, it's challenging running 2 live steam locos at once, but Dylan & Mountaineer are pleasant to run, if I loop them every other lap and give them a top of meths and put in a few pumps of water they'll plod along contentedly. 

32140598205_1a618e4276_c.jpg

31765385030_9eabe44d23_c.jpg

32021931581_f8e31a5926_c.jpg

32021915541_4a65eb08e9_c.jpg

32140343505_f206135e8c_c.jpg

Eventually Mountaineer retired to the sidings with Dylan taking over on the open wagons.

31298989224_395f26ca5a_c.jpg

Having run out of meths and gone cold Dylan is towed home by Mountaineer at the end of the day

31330217363_9ace3d835e_c.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi William,

Your not all that far away from me - i'm about 20 mins (wrong side!) from Goole!  Love the pictures, im just starting to gain an interest in 16mm, although more indoor electric, than live steam - but I am getting a little bit of a hankering for the Roundhouse Russell model! A quick query, if you don't mind, given that your locos are live steam and radio controlled, can you get slow running with them?  Is it possible?  Im thinking once the layout is up and running (bit of a way off yet!) then I might think about treating myself, but not sure how live steam would go indoors. 

The layout wont be particularly big (not like a garden layout) maybe 15'-20' long at most so i dont know if im expecting too much?  Do you find there is much maintenance with the live steam locos?

Richie

• RMweb Gold

Hello Richie

Only Beddgelert is radio controlled but it isn't essential for slow running, it's chiefly a matter of  knowing the loco, how much load she likes etc. If your line is going to be short and it's slow running you're after a geared loco built by Regner might be a better fit, being geared they are deceptively strong and capable of running very slowly.

As for maintenance it's simple stuff, the main things to remember are to keep moving parts well oiled and use good water, if it's hard (like York's unfortunately) it's not suitable for boilers. The Millie is the only loco that's needed any major work, she needed new bearings, a new rear axle and the motion was overhauled considering that was after about 10 years use before I got her and 3 years of hard work in my ownership.

If you want to visit the York club during one of our running days just ask. 

William

Hi Richie

Have you heard about the SSP Slomo device?  Apparently it fits between the wheels of live steam locos (not all models, by the look of it, and not ones with insulated wheels set to 32mm gauge, because there isn't enough room), but the videos on the web (try the Summerlands Chuffer site) show some seriously impressive slow running that looks as if it would suit your planned layout very nicely. NB I haven't tried them myself - I'm lucky enough to have a line where I can tack 7 or 8 bogie coaches behind my locos, which curbs their wilder speed excesses and makes them bark very nicely in a proper Ffestiniog kind of way!

David

• 2 weeks later...

Hi William,

Your not all that far away from me - i'm about 20 mins (wrong side!) from Goole!  Love the pictures, im just starting to gain an interest in 16mm, although more indoor electric, than live steam - but I am getting a little bit of a hankering for the Roundhouse Russell model! A quick query, if you don't mind, given that your locos are live steam and radio controlled, can you get slow running with them?  Is it possible?  Im thinking once the layout is up and running (bit of a way off yet!) then I might think about treating myself, but not sure how live steam would go indoors. 

The layout wont be particularly big (not like a garden layout) maybe 15'-20' long at most so i dont know if im expecting too much?  Do you find there is much maintenance with the live steam locos?

Richie

As David has said, if you want to run Russell or similar, on a 20ft layout, the Australian Slo-Mo modification is what you need. I have seen a couple of these in use, on other people's layouts, and the transformation is transformational.....look up examples on You-Tube, and you will see why. The mod kits are not cheap, but well worth it if you want the benefit of live steam in a confined space. However, like him, I don't have need of it personally, as my latest garden layout, under construction, will have some serious room for locos to stretch their legs. I intend to purchase one eventually however, for my one manually controlled loco.

As David has said, if you want to run Russell or similar, on a 20ft layout, the Australian Slo-Mo modification is what you need. I have seen a couple of these in use, on other people's layouts, and the transformation is transformational.....look up examples on You-Tube, and you will see why. The mod kits are not cheap, but well worth it if you want the benefit of live steam in a confined space. However, like him, I don't have need of it personally, as my latest garden layout, under construction, will have some serious room for locos to stretch their legs. I intend to purchase one eventually however, for my one manually controlled loco.

I agree, we keep meaning to get some. Helps with control and scale running speeds and when the loco is fitted with such, perhaps a whistle, maybe dummy cylinder drain-cocks, modified exhaust sound et al. then the loco really comes to life, takes away any toy-like qualities. I would have thought that the driving experience would feel more realistic and enjoyable too. I think I spied such on the current Association of 16mm NGM DVD too.

ATVB

CME

Guys,

Apologies for the delayed reply. Thanks to all of you for your comments and suggestions - food for thought! I must go and look up these slow-mo devices now!

William - thanks for the offer of visiting York on a running day, I will drop you a PM as soon as i have some spare time and find out what your running days are - work seems to be taking up way too much time at the moment!

Thanks for the friendly responses tho chaps.

Richie

• RMweb Gold

In preparation for the February running day E.11 my faithful brake van was sent to the works for attention including its 4th roof, a far more substantial lamp iron on the back, and some patch painting.

While attaching the new roof the step board (a replacement of the original which must have broken a long time ago) also broke along most of its length. Replacing it would have involved removing the roof so it got a bodged repair with 2 sets of metal plates sandwiching weak area.

post-6756-0-15660000-1488493675.jpg 

Mountaineer was out and after struggling to maintain pressure, late last year I pulled out the wicks however I pulled them out too far meaning the heat was being wasted. After packing them down a bit she was let out again and was back to her old self.

post-6756-0-20812200-1488493664.jpg

post-6756-0-41364300-1488493670.jpg

Baz has finally been named with the arrival of a set of plates from Narrow Planet, usual disclaimer. Mountaineer is also now sporting a set of JBM plates as it was the work by Barry Milner that made Mountaineer a working loco as opposed to a shelf queen.

post-6756-0-10844900-1488493679.jpg

Trimming the trees within the willow loop has improved the view massively.

post-6756-0-34739100-1488493685.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Despite being quiet on here I'm still playing trains regularly. The only kit building I've done is outshopping a Jurassic 1 plank wagon which came in very handy during the club's (very wet) Easter open day.

post-6756-0-00376400-1501500194.jpg

Also after only 2 years of thinking about it I've finally painted Beddgelert's wheels, it was a simple job but it does make quite a difference in my opinion.

36152101961_0736304aac_c.jpg

Archived