Hi Chris

Grilles - You're talking about the pilot scheme machines which (I think) never had the single bodyside grille. They certainly had different position headcode boxes - will expand on this in the spreadsheet. There were a significant number of differences within this small fleet, some of the production machines also had different shape/position boxes and was a result of the kit supplied by Swindon to retro fit to the first NBL production batch.

Neil

Neil,

The Excel file is a very useful thing and can only get better over time as and when more info comes to light. I personally felt that might be the case about  the differences but I didn't want to "put foot in mouth "too soon. As I never saw these loco's in service I rely heavily on this sort of thing in the public domain, from people in the know sharing their knowledge and experience, so my comments are obviously only from what I see in photo's that kindly souls share with us, which I hope will enable us to tweak the those loco's to get them "just right" So my final words are keep up the good work!!

regds

Chris

• 8 months later...

Hello Nige,

The double arrows on those 22s painted in blue with the small yellow panels were positioned centrally rather than on the cab sides, so it was unnecessary to move the works plates.

Thusly D6300/D6303/D6314/D6327 can be removed from your list, and FYE D6339/D6343 can be added.

Cheers,

Ed

• 2 years later...

As I'm struggling to find exact details, could anyone help with the following...

I've got a kit of a Class 22, it's got the original/disc Headcode nose, and is going to be finished in green with no yellow panel...

I'm hoping to number it as D6315 but the only pictures I can find show that loco with Headcode boxes, so did it ever run in the above condition n was just elusive, or did it have Headcode boxes from new?

Cheers :-)

Dan

A few more details for D6315:

Introduced Jan 1960

Withdrawn May 1971

Introduced in green with no yellow panel

Small yellow panels added to green livery only after 4-character headcodes fitted.

Headcode boxes were fitted from new from D6334 onwards. They were retro-fitted to D6300 - D6333, but I cannot find any actual dates for this - probably around 1965 or so. 

D6315 seems to have been a relatively shy locomotive, but there is a photo of D6315 in August 1968 with headcode boxes. There are plenty of photos of her sisters still with disc headcodes in late 1964, but with headcode boxes in 1965.

@D5541 here are two good bibles to help you in your quest to be correct for your loco choice and period, these are from the Class 22 society who aim to build a new loco as the preservation world missed out on saving one of these little beauties, I also have another definite book of each class so I will check up and give more details later hopefully

Best regards

Craig.

post-8721-0-40309000-1469396130.jpgpost-8721-0-56179100-1469396169.jpg

• Like 4

@D5541, ok Dan, here is what the David Wilson book says about D6315:

Liveries carried: Green livery, no panels from new, then green livery with larger non standard yellow panels "with disc headcodes" & green livery with smaller yellow panels until withdrawal, this picture of the latter shows it with head code boxes.

So this loco did run in plain green with discs, and just make sure your kit has no eyebrow vents. There are plenty of other detail information such as grab handle positions and over head warning sticker positions, PM if you need anymore info.

Hope this helps

Craig.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Wild Swan is about to publish Peter Barnfield's "Memories of West Country Railway Journeys" which has a glorious full page low level shot of D6315 on the front of the "Cornishman" at Truro, in its original form with discs and no warning panel. There are a fair few other Class 22 images featured, in addition to the units, although most images in the book are of steam traction.

At the printers now, out in c 3 weeks time and available from all good stockists etc.

I myself have a 1/32 Fred Phipps kit that I intend to finish as D6315 in this condition too.

Simon

• Like 1

Thanks again for the additional info guys :-)

Craig - I was actually looking at the website for the new build class 22 the other night, very much looking forward to seeing that progress! I will have to see if I can get hold of the books you've all mentioned :-)

Definitely no eyebrow vents on my kit, n a pretty plain front end so will need to track down some decent pics for positioning of the assorted holes,lights, brackets, grab rails etc.

Dan

Simon - I was looking at the Fred Phipps kit as well, not sure where I'd put one but I seem to be gathering a collection of 22's in assorted sizes

post-11486-0-15526400-1495113460_thumb.jpg

N, OO and O gauge so far, maybe when I've finished the 2 kits I'll start saving for a bigger one :-p

I've heard rumor that Steve Beattie is working on a gauge 3 one as well!...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all

Thanks Ed for pointing that slide out. have had a good look at it n now more advice is sought :-) recent cessation of employment means saving for assorted books/slides/prints has slowed down a bit so I'm going to bother you guys in the mean time and see if I can find the answer...

So, D6315...

I'm modelling mine as pre August 64 (no yellow panels on mine) and a small detail I'm after, I can't see clearly if it's on the slide or not

Shed plates! I've seen a picture of her in '69 with shed plates on the lower cabisde fairing on the drivers side so the questions for tonight are...

1) would there have been one on each corner, like the builders plates, or just on each drivers side? (the slide has 2nd man's side nearest the camera and there isn't one there...

2) if they weren't on the fairings in earlier condition, where are they likely to be, if carried at all?

3) having seen various class members carrying them in either red or black, would the colour have been dependent on the depot that they were allocated to or did it just depend on what they had on the shelves at the time?

Cheers :-)

Dan

Dan, I have sent you a PM with a couple of PDF pages scanned from the book

"Class 22 The North British Locomotive Company Series D6300-57, the definitive record of the Western Region Class 22 Diesel-Hydraulic Locomotives" by David Wilson - Thunderbolt Publishing.

If you want to share the information on here for others to peruse then please just retype the info so we don't infringe any copyright laws.

Hope this Helps

Craig.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Can anyone advise when D6321 and D6322 got their small yellow panels and headcode boxes? I'm looking at purchasing one of the Dapol models, and just want to know which will be best suited to my timeframe. 

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Neil originally posted this thread would be a monster! Well time for some monstrous bashing - to get us to 2 later batch locos, D6336 and D6342.

Have started a blow by blow on the Dapol thread - but thinking about transferring to a blog, will update this post if so.

The later batch are at least a bit more consistent as they were not subject to random rebuilds of front end fittings....

Hope this is useful

• 11 months later...

Russ, the answer is, some did and some didn't. I've just conducted a very unscientific 'mental scan' and can't recall ever seeing any of the following in green with headcode panels before they went blue, either in reality or in photos: D6300/03/14/18/22/25/27/28/32/33.

The following did have headcode panels in green livery before going blue (note that 4 of these 5 are the later 1970/71 repaints):

D6302/08/19/26/30.

D6333 only ever ran in green no yellow with discs and blue full yellow with panels (unless a depot applied yellow panels in late '66).

I invite others to test my memory..........;)!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ian G said:

6335 had headcode panels all over green, small yellow ends, never went blue

Ian G

Ian, I think Russell's query involved only the original disc headcode batch D6300-33, and whether they were all converted to headcode panels before going blue.

All of the D6334-57 batch were delivered new with yellow panels except the first three, and of these I believe D6334 never received yellow panels before acquiring blue full yellow, so it must have followed a similar path to D6333 in steering clear of Swindon Works for years..........hang on, I thought these locos were supposed to have been unreliable........:nea:I saw them a lot in the far South West 1966-71 and I only recall witnessing one failure (D6312 which ground to halt at Grampound Road while travelling down light engine and had to be pushed on to Truro by D1018 at the head of the Cornish Riviera Express no less! I think the date was 27/2/70).

• Like 2