• RMweb Gold

Class 22 Details

Ok this thread will I'm sure be an evolving monster, but I've made a start compiling details on liveries. See the attached Excel spreadsheet that contains details on all class 22 liveries, introduction, withdrawal and dates cut and where. Needless to say the thread will be edited on a regular basis to amend inaccuracies and provide up to date links to photos on the web.

There were some links to photos which I weeded out, many were links to defunct fotopic galleries (huge shame especially photos from Keith Miller and Ken Baker).

Material to follow will include front end detail variation (grab rail positions, headcode boxes, eyebrow vents etc), but I've got to draw some pretty pictures first. Patience is a virtue I will get there!

Eventually I am aiming to publish a book (huge gestation time though) on diesel variations, but as I'm sure everyone is aware getting the facts 100% right is quite a challenge.

Livery details with dates, Dates introduced and withdrawn, scrapping .

Class 22 2.xls

References :

Dapol class 22 Thread

Personal research (fotopic, flickr and other galleries,

Robert Stokes, Baby Blues Western Power magazine, Vol 1 pp26-30.

Brian Reed (1974) Diesel-hydraulic locomotives of the Western Region, David & Charles

Edited by Downendian
Excel spreadsheet corrupted - file re uploaded
  • Like 5

I've been looking at the boiler exhaust port cover variations in photos and I have found the following styles:

post-7112-0-60736800-1328365688.jpg

Carried by: 6311 (photo is on Laira scrap line so possibly has a cover plate missing http://www.railphoto...g=1579020333000)

post-7112-0-96253700-1328365697.jpg

Carried by: 6308, 6315, 6319, 6320, 6321, 6322, 6323, 6326 (I know 6326 should have a different boiler to the others but the photos show it to have the earlier style exhaust port cover http://railphotoprints.uk/p737470212/ha15708b#ha15708b

post-7112-0-87092000-1328365705.jpg

Carried by: 6327, 6328, 6330, 6331, 6333, 6334, 6339, 6340, 6343, 6353, 6354, 6355, 6356

In addition 6348 appears to have not only the earlier style of boiler exhaust port cover but its engine exhaust in a different place to all the others http://www.derbysulz...348exeter70.jpg

Edited by Flood
  • Like 2

We have both Pannier Tank (over on the Dapol 22 topic) and Downendian producing useful but different spreadsheets on the detail differences in Class 22s. Would it make sense for one or other to combine them so we are only working with one database? Downendian has linked to the Dapol topic in his list of references which thankfully precludes the need to transfer solely prototype info over here, but it might also be useful to request over there that subsequent prototype information goes here, which I will do.

• Like 1

Hence my reasoning of posting the variations so other people can change their models.

Thanks, Flood. I certainly appreciate it. After all, most of the discussion on the other thread just said "it's wrong", assuming we all knew why, with little guidance for those of us who don't know our diesel bits so well. Repeating that here gets us nowhere.

I take it the boiler exhaust is the larger of the two rectangular vents? Maybe an idiots guide to the holes in the roof would help some of us.

Nick

Edited by buffalo

I take it the boiler exhaust is the larger of the two rectangular vents? Maybe an idiots guide to the holes in the roof would help some of us.

Nick

Yes I did mean the larger of the two rectangular vents (the one which is 15mm long for those lucky enough to own a model). I've seen the smaller vent left in place on mostly green examples and mostly covered over on blue ones but as I haven't really studied this yet I'm not going to jump to any conclusions.

Just for clarification this is how the roof of my model of 6326 looks at the moment.

post-7112-0-12837500-1328373780_thumb.jpg

I don't know much about the front and roof details so I will leave it to more knowledgeable people to explain what all the grills etc are.

Edited by Flood
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We have both Pannier Tank (over on the Dapol 22 topic) and Downendian producing useful but different spreadsheets on the detail differences in Class 22s. Would it make sense for one or other to combine them so we are only working with one database? Downendian has linked to the Dapol topic in his list of references which thankfully precludes the need to transfer solely prototype info over here, but it might also be useful to request over there that subsequent prototype information goes here, which I will do.

Thanks Mod6. Myself and Pannier Tank are discussing this, and we will bring our data together. I agree it makes no sense having two different spreadsheets. I have pinned this topic and will add new material to post #1 so that it is easy to find. With the Dapol thread now at 43 pages and counting its quite difficult finding the required info, even with the search tool.

Neil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Can someone please advise what the two holes were towards the top of the bonnet, I presume they are for the horns?

Also there were two circular plates between the Red & White lights, what were these for?

Hi David. I had thought they were horns too. My source stares they are air intakes but the D6322 lacked them (A end) and D6323 never had them. Perhaps those with prototypical knowledge can advise?

I don't know about the circular plates.

Neil

Downendian, I've just had a quick glance at the spreadsheet linked in post #1 and from memory I think some of your dates for repainting into BFYE are wrong. D6322 is definitely not right, the info I have is tucked away at the moment (dust and plaster everywhere, don't ask!), but I'll dig it out asap and get back to you with the dates. I did list them all correctly somewhere deep within the Dapol 22 thread but finding it is a right pain!

Nidge

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Nidge

Checked the source material, and D6322 should be a year earlier "had been done by April 1967" I will amend the Spreadsheet. If you could post other details here I will amend the spreadsheet and rename with date.

Neil

In the new Western Legacy booklet, the caption for D6302 includes "Note also the narrower kicking plate (D6300-05)". What and where is this exactly? (bit like those 'spot the differences' games with these photos!).

In the new Western Legacy booklet, the caption for D6302 includes "Note also the narrower kicking plate (D6300-05)". What and where is this exactly? (bit like those 'spot the differences' games with these photos!).

The kicking plate is under the door and above the foothole, and looks to me to be checkerplate. I wonder why No2s was so much smaller.....

Thanks - I assumed from the caption it meant all six of the pilot locos.

I'll check.....

I got that wrong, just checked some other pics and yes it is D6300 to D6305, but D6306 has them too. I cannot imagine why they thought it necessary to make them wider and slightly taller.....asthetics?

Edited by D605Eagle

Sent a copy of this to Downendian to add to the spreadsheet but in case anyones interested a far from comprehensive but possibly useful list of allocations is attached.

Taken from the appropriate Locoshed books I think I've a leter one which I'll add if I find it. If not perhaps others can fill in the gaps.

Stu

Class 22.doc

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Another detail variation was on the valance skirting, just above the fuel tank. Various members of the class carried an extra builders plate here, but NOT ALL of the class.

This wasn't really an 'extra' builder's plate as such Gresh.... when some of the locos went into blue livery from green, the four builder's plates were removed from the cabsides, two were discarded and the remaining two were fitted to the valances, with one per side. This was done to make room for the new BR arrow logo transfers being applied to blue liveried locos at the time, those affected being D6300, D6302, D6303, 6308, D6314, D6318, 6319, D6322, D6325, 6326, D6327, D6328, 6330, D6332, D6333, D6334, D6336, D6337, 6338, D6340, D6342, 6348, 6352, D6354 and 6356.

• Like 1

Thank you 'Rudg1022' . The plates on the locos at St Philips Marsh during 71' mainly (if thats the correct word) had the plates on the valances..... Coz we had them! - with the yard managers blessing! ( he told us to help ourselves as they would only be melted down to make doorknockers!!!!!!!!) What an UNDERSTANDING guy I thought lol, wink wink, I should imagine quite rare now

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi guys

I'm relatively new to RM web (so be gentle-I bruise easily) but already I'm finding this thread very useful and informative!!

Has the following information been noted anywhere yet or have I missed the following:- Some locos have Deeper Headcode boxes (are these early loco's having had disc's replaced)if so when)??---Larger 1 piece bodyside grills replacing smaller grills on earlier build loco's(at which loco did small grills finish/large grills start)--if above is known can it be incorporated in the already useful Excel file.??  MTIA

Regds

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris

Grilles - You're talking about the pilot scheme machines which (I think) never had the single bodyside grille. They certainly had different position headcode boxes - will expand on this in the spreadsheet. There were a significant number of differences within this small fleet, some of the production machines also had different shape/position boxes and was a result of the kit supplied by Swindon to retro fit to the first NBL production batch.

Neil