Gallows Close Multiple Unit Workshop - Three's a crowd? The Class 144 Project

Thanks for all the comments chaps.

I've been short on tinker time lately so the 210 has not really progressed - addiing the fine orange and white lines is not a job where you think "Yippee! Transfers!".

Anyway, turning to the patch painting I will have a go at some of the methods suggested on a spare bodyshell next time I get the acrylics out.

Cheers,

Chris.

Hello All,

I have made some more progress with the 210. I have added the missing gangway door window frames on both the DMS and the DTS cars - with still the screen door to go over the top.

IMG_1035.jpg

IMG_1039.jpg

I have also now got the DMS car all lined out - and I can catagorically say that the orange cantrail stripe is the most difficult transfer I have ever had to apply!!

IMG_1038-1.jpg

Finally I thought I'd post a peek over the roof of the DMS car. I think I'll drill out the exhaust ports, and I've also got the scavenger fan to fit.

IMG_1041.jpg

That is all the progress for now. I'm moving on to lining out the centre car, before a couple of coats of varnish.

Cheers,

Chris.

Cracking work there Chris, as usual. Are you going to give them a little light weathering and will all us lot left behind in sunny Scarborough get to see these in the flesh? Keep up the good work, these look superb.

Mike.

Thanks Mike,

I'll be giving it a gentle coat of dirt - I want it to reflect the condition it was in when withdrawn in 1987. Next time I'm over I'll be dropping in for a run with it.

Speaking of giving it a run, I have been giving it a test run on DCC. The MB 35 motor bogie is silky smooth and quiet when running belly up, but when I put it on the rails it sounds like a cement mixer.

IMG_0875.jpg

I have given it a light oiling, and checked that none of the gears are fouling the frame, and now I'm out of ideas. Can anyone give me a couple of pointers?

Hope you can help,

Chris.

Guest jim s-w

Hi Chris

They are naturally noisy. Branchlines sell a grease (caller super lube - ooh er missus!) that works line a charm.

HTH

Jim

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies Gents,

They are naturally noisy. Branchlines sell a grease (caller super lube - ooh er missus!) that works line a charm.

Yep, I'll echo what Jim says, they are very smooth but also very noisy.

Looks like I need a tube of Super-Lube!

You might need the noise and vibration for realism - I just came across some old notes when I rode in one of the motor coaches. My description was "smooth ride but VERY noisy"

Do you have any other notes from the class 210? Or indeed any photos in your archive - I'd be fascinated to hear your recollections.

I've got the glazing ordered from Brian at Shawplan, and with that I think I now have everything I need to finish the unit off. Whilst waiting for the glazing to come I'll be looking at buiding the interior. I came across a video of 210001's interior last week - of all places on the original pop video for Broski Beat's Smalltown Boy, so I can use that info to match the seating colour!

Cheers,

Chris.

Do you have any other notes from the class 210? Or indeed any photos in your archive - I'd be fascinated to hear your recollections.

A couple of photos, both from 1984, not very close-up, which I may have posted on here previously, and according to my records, another photo which I haven't scanned yet. If there's any areas of interest I could crop and upload a more detailed shot.

Can't remember exactly what the sound was like outside, other than being more "meaty" than the first-gen DMUs that it was intended to replace. Inside in a trailer was pretty much like being in a trailer from a 317 or similar EMU, but the noise and vibration inside the motor coach were nearly as bad as a Cravens I seem to recall.

post-6971-127737958638.jpg

post-6971-127737958954.jpg

• Like 1

Can't remember exactly what the sound was like outside, other than being more "meaty" than the first-gen DMUs that it was intended to replace. Inside in a trailer was pretty much like being in a trailer from a 317 or similar EMU, but the noise and vibration inside the motor coach were nearly as bad as a Cravens I seem to recall.

I can't remember the sounds produced by 210 002 - as it had no first class accommodation, it never seemed to operate west of Reading and I only ever saw it from other trains at speed. By contrast, 001 was a regular between Reading and Oxford, and very nice it was too. Having read about it in the magazines, I was expecting it to sound like a baby HST power car with its half-sized Valenta, but there was no turbo scream - instead, it made a deep-throated mumbling while idling and a decent throaty roar while accelerating. The closest modern equivalent to my ear is the MTU engines in the rebuilt HST power cars, although they are smoother-sounding with their 16 cylinders - which is all a bit ironic considering that it was 210 002 that had an MTU engine.

Eastwestdivide is spot on about the riding qualities of the power cars - noisy, bouncy and rough, compared to the silky-smooth 317-style ride in the trailers. As a bit of petrolhead (dieselhead?), I therefore always preferred the power car, loving the rough ride while accelerating hard over the junctions at Didcot East and Moreton Cutting. A cracking piece of machinery while it lasted.

Love the model of 002 - looking excellent!

David

• Like 1

Thanks David and Eastwestdivide,

Your recollections are fascinating. For me the 210 is one of those that 'got away'. If only I had been more interested in recording what was going on with the railway that trying to chase girls..... Chasing girls was good though!

Anyway, I have a few bits left to do to the underframes - and your photo of 210 002 shows quite clearly that there are battery boxes on the trailer cars, however I have no good close ups of that area. May I take up your offer and ask can you enlarge the photo for me please?

I took advantage of the fact that we have bee having brilliant weather (and that I had cut the grass) and took a shot of the full train.

IMG_1044.jpg

I have also been busy with the cab end of the power car. The pirspex gangway screen has been added, complete with lamp iron, and the cab is glazed and has an interior courtesy of a Bachmann class 150. I still have the box to add to the headstocks below the driver's window and the orange jumper receptacle below the second man's window. Meanwhile I've been fitting seats - can't find a suitable Jimmy though Sean!

IMG_1043.jpg

There is still lots to do of course, but I don't want to go for 210 overload, so I hope you all like the updates.

Cheers,

Chris.

• Like 1

I took advantage of the fact that we have bee having brilliant weather (and that I had cut the grass) and took a shot of the full train.

To scale, it looks like a visit from the weedkiller train is overdue...

Away from the computer with the photo on it for now, but I'll get a detailed crop of the areas you want in the next couple of days. You do mean the one at Old Oak Common?

And one more. 1987, coming out of the reversing siding at Bedwyn. Note that it's 210002 as a 3-car, but clearly with 1st class in the centre coach. Also, the front coach here has possibly a "Network SouthEast" at the inner end of the bodyside. Can't really make it out on the scan, but it looks too long for a number, and it appears the number is at the outer end, and other words at the inner.

post-6971-127763643955_thumb.jpg

post-6971-127763665761.jpg

• Like 1

RCTS 1982 coaching stock book has:

DMS E53000 (MTU engine, 63T, 45 seats)

DMBS E53001 (Paxman engine, 64.5T, 28 seats)

DTS E54000, E54001

TS E57000, E57001

TC E58000

1983-4 RCTS/Ian Allan book has:

(none with prefixes, all allocated RG)

DMS 60200 (53000), DMBS 60201 (53001)

DTS 60300 (54000), 60301 (54001)

TS 60400 (57000), 60401 (57001)

TC 60450 (58000)

and has 210001 with Brush equipment 60201-60401-60450-60300

210002 with GEC equipment, 60200-60400-60301

1986 Ian Allan has the same as the 1983-4, but I've nothing later that might reference any re-formed ones as in my post above.

• Like 1

And one more. 1987, coming out of the reversing siding at Bedwyn. Note that it's 210002 as a 3-car, but clearly with 1st class in the centre coach. Also, the front coach here has possibly a "Network SouthEast" at the inner end of the bodyside.

Hello Eastwestdivide. Thanks for the updates on the three car. The underframe shots are good enough for me to make out what I need to now - many, many thanks.

I believe you are correct about the first class car being swapped for the standard trailer. I have seen other photos of it in that formation - all from 1987. My model of course has it in original formation, but with the NSE logos on the inner bodyside end of the DMS and DTS cars. I intended to build the composite car at first, but changed to the all standard when I realised it was beyond my capability to make the second roof hatch.

I do not know for sure why the composite car was inserted, but I suspect that maybe at that time the four car train was stopped? The composite eventually ended up at the RTC as the 'all electric vehicle' prototype.

Thanks again for all your help,

Chris.

• 6 months later...

Hello,

Gratuitous EMU photos for you. I just thought I'd post these shots of my finished Class 321/9. I had the camera out to photograph the unit for a fellow RM Webber, and thought I would also post the pics.

321902Jan2011C.jpg

321902Jan2011A.jpg

321902Jan2011D.jpg

321902Jan2011B.jpg

Hope you like them,

Cheers,

Chris.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Wow Chris fantastic modelling. The 210 is stunning, I remember one of them was used for the Old Oak Commons shuttles between Paddington and the depot in 1985. Great DMUs, you really have captured it perfectly.

Oh and the 321 is rather nice too! Well done Sir, great modelling. B)

Thanks Alex. I really appreciate the positive feedback.

Your post got me wondering...... What if Boxenby Depot had an open day, there's an excuse for all kinds of stuff then. You could even have a naming ceremony! Boxenby is an amazing project by the way, and I'm looking forward to seeing it finished and in a magazine.

Cheers,

Chris.