Gallows Close Multiple Unit Workshop - Three's a crowd? The Class 144 Project

• RMweb Premium

Hello,

So, with the class 307 all but done, it is time to start a new multiple unit project to tide me over the winter. Whilst browsing the web I came across another modeller's website where a Hornby class 110 had been butchered to create a class 114 Derby Heavyweight DMU - basically a stretched class 108. 

Thanks for dropping in,

Chris.

Hi Chris

I would say it is a stretched 107, the 108 has a continuous curve profile where the 114 and 107 (and the suburban units) have a profile close to that of an LMS coach.

I too have seen Jim's website and have a 110 ready to become a 114. I have a 107 in the making, the cabs are scratchbuilt. My 114 will have scractch built cabs as well.

post-16423-0-85159500-1413225071_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-16017200-1413225084_thumb.jpg

I have a conversion I done years ago from the 110 into a Derby type unit which I passed off as a 108. Don't think I have any photos to hand.

• 2 months later...

Hello All,

A bit of progress on the class 114 DPU today.  Firstly the driving trailer has been put together.

post-6842-0-23394900-1420299053.jpg

I have reinforced the coach at roof level in preparation for opening out the roller shutter doors, and for this car I will do the filling and sanding after I have inserted the new doors.

Below the motor coach has been fitted with its roller door on one side and is resting whilst the plastic hardens before I tackle the other side.  I have spent quite some time sanding and filling, with some small areas still to do.  Also, on the this coach a couple of vents still need to be installed in the body side.

post-6842-0-77291200-1420299054.jpg

As I mentioned before the cars scale out at about 4mm too short - so I have decided to go with the Lima underframes and I'll cut out 4mm from these to make a bad job OK.  Hopefully no-one besides you will know!

Apologies, but the photos are all taken on the 'phone as I can't be bothered with the camera today....

Thanks for looking in,

Best wishes,

Chris.

• Like 6

Just found this thread of yours and got to say you've got skill

It's been interesting looking through at how you cut and shut stuff (sorry for the crude term)as well as all the filling and fileing that goes with it and the excellent models you end up with which are very nice

Great modelling

Brian

Hello Brian,

Thanks for your comments, they are much appreciated. At the end of the day though cut-n-shut is what it is. For the most part I cannot claim any originality for the ideas either!

I have managed to complete the DMS coach body today, and I've also fitted roller doors to one side of the DTC. I'm quite pleased with it so far - photos to follow.

Thanks for looking in, and best wishes,

Chris.

OK, so - here is an update with photos.

First up the completed DMBS.

post-6842-0-20994500-1420400310_thumb.jpg

To get an idea of what it will look like when done I have plonked it on a Hornby chassis for the photo.

Then to the DTC.  One of the dillemas I have been facing is how wide to make the roller shutter doors.  In the end I have gone for (guessed) 20mm for two reasons...  The first is that I don't have a real class 114 to measure (obviously) and the second is that I have assumed that the conversions would have been made using the natural appertures and strong points on the body.  Therefore taking the front passenger door and measuring from the leading frame to the rear most frame of the small passenger window you get 20mm.  Simples.  Well, if only...  But after studying many, many photos it looks about right.

The Fox transfers I am using have chevron stripes included, however these are 17mm in width - perhaps intended for the class 128 DPU?  So it looks like I'm going to have to make my own chevrons for the new doors.

post-6842-0-58260300-1420400649_thumb.jpg

The rear roller door requires part of one of the windows blanking off.  So I have carefully removed the beading and using masking tape as a guide to the saw cuts I opened out the new door frame.

post-6842-0-55796600-1420400786_thumb.jpg

Progress so far is not too bad all in all.  Here is a photo of the two cars together still on their short undeframes - more to keep me motivated than anything else.

post-6842-0-92150900-1420400854_thumb.jpg

Still to do is the opposite side of the DTC and then start the filling and sanding process.  I will also make a start on the underframes.

Thanks for looking, best wishes,

Chris.

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

I have made some more progress with the class 114 DPU.  I have completed the basic bodyshells, added the roller doors to both cars and bodyside vents to the DMBS.  That left the slow and not very RM WEB-genic body prep to do.  The filling and sanding is almost over now, and I am in a position to show the two bodyshells in undercoat.

post-6842-0-37062600-1423775995_thumb.jpg

post-6842-0-24103100-1423776001_thumb.jpg

There is still some small work to do with fine wet and dry, but it looks like there is no more filler required at least.  I also will add the roof ventilators and the toilet filler pipes prior to painting the first coat of Royal Mail red.  All in all - I'm quite chuffed with this one so far.

Not a multiple unit project, but something I'm busy with at the same time is this Mk IId BFK.  With the imminent new Mk II e/f coaches I decided to create a 1989/90 cross country rake from my 'old' mark two stuff. This will be a Mk IId BFK; Mk I RMB; Mk IIf; Mk IId; Mk IIc and Mk IIf to copy a rake I spotted on the Leeds branch of the ECML in 1989.

post-6842-0-65535700-1423776372_thumb.jpg

The Mk IId BFK construction has been covered many times before, but basically it is a splice of a Dapol FO and a BSO.  It will be finished in Intercity Executive livery.

And what of the Mk IIc mentioned above?  Well I have been messing about with a Dapol Mk IId and a Lima Mk IIb and this is what I've come up with so far. It will be finished in blue & grey as per the rake above.

post-6842-0-10743100-1423776367_thumb.jpg

I think it has promise....  What do you reckon?

Thanks for looking in and best wishes,

Chris.

• Like 10

Hiya chris,

Still loving your thread, after a few months away from british OO modelling ive now took back up with it, cracking on with the refurb of my class 205, and taking the plunge at my own 210, inspired by your own build! Keep it up mate :)

Hello Dave,

Its nice to be an inspiration, thanks.  I wish I could claim originality - there are a good few modellers who have inspired me over the years, and I only try to emulate them.

I thought you might like to see my 'Ladies in Red' fresh from the paint shop. Just a quick snap taken in the kitchen for now.

post-6842-0-12061500-1424203565_thumb.jpg

All being well I'll have them lettered up with their Royal Mail insignia over the weekend, and then I'll make a proper start on the undeframes.

Thanks for looking in,

Chris.

• Like 7

Hello everyone,

With the unit finished, I have been busy today in getting the performance to where it should be. Considering the running gear, I have retained the Lima motor and bogies, however I discarded the 'rail roller' wheels and have replaced them with Romford 12mm disc wheels.  This has been achieved on the powered car by direct replacement on the leading pick up bogie, and by cutting the gear from the back of the Lima wheels and glueing it on to the back of the Romford ones, before re-assembling the motor.  This has allowed all wheel pick-ups to be fitted.  A Lokpilot has been fitted for DCC running.

The trailer car bogies required the plastic bearing for the pin point axles to be deepened as the Romford axles are slightly longer than the Lima ones.  Initially the wheels were binding, but with care, trial and error I was able to get the vehicle free running.

http://youtu.be/6Zlzd67i9T0

Here is a short clip showing the results.  It runs very smoothly, and has power enough to pull a tail load as was common for these type of workings.

Thanks for looking in,

Chris.

• Like 7

Hello Rod,

That's some neat work there, maestro.

I think that is going a bit far! . All I'm doing is copying the work of others in the mostly fun exercise of destroying perfectly good models and sticking them back together in a different order. I'm glad you like it though....

Best wishes,

Chris.

Hello Andy,

The IIc is coming along.  At the moment it is in the rubbing down phase (not very interesting), but I hope to have it in undercoat in the next few days.  The remaining MkII's have all been in the paint shop for a quick blast of executive light grey.  I have at least three different types, so I wanted consistency across the board for this colour.

Photos to come later.......

Best wishes,

Chris.

Hello Alex,

Very nice work Chris.

Now back to work on the pairs of 20s and Grids please!

It can't always be heavy freight....  You have to have somewhere for the people to sit :O I'll be back to loco's soon.....  I have a very interesting - and challenging unit to do after the Mk II's.

Best wishes,

Chris.

Edited by Gallows Close

Guest bri.s

Hello Alex,

It can't always be heavy freight....  You have to have somewhere for the people to sit :O I'll be back to loco's soon.....  I have a very interesting - and challenging unit to do after the Mk II's.

Best wishes,

Chris.

Challenging unit ,I'm intrigued :)

Brian

OK,

So some photos.  First up the IId BFK and the other aircons...

post-6842-0-42026400-1425752418_thumb.jpg

Front to back cut 'n' shut IId BFK, Lima IIf TSO, Lima IIf TSO, Dapol IId TSO and Dapol IId TSO.  Still to do on the back four lining and lettering, and on the BFK the remaining paint and then of course the lining.  I did the yellow stripe first on this one as I had the paint out for the class 114.  It received its coat of exec light grey today and still to do are the exec dark grey and the roofs and ends.

post-6842-0-78358700-1425752642_thumb.jpg

Not very different to last time, but I've filled and filed to get the Lima sides to match the profile of the Dapol ends on the Mk IIc.  Hope to have this one in undercoat soon.

Thanks for looking in,

Chris.

• Like 2