Cunningham Central - GCR Inspired Layout

Cunni

---Updated--- (14-05-2010)

Greetings one and all. It would seem my old topic has disappeared whilst I was away as also did my membership. So, this new thread is a nice opportunity to start over and show progress from planning stage through to constuction of my layout.

This is to be my first layout, 00 gauge 16.5mm in a space 12'6" x 6' as a continuous loop, set in the 1950's or 1960's as desired (1950s - BR Eastern Region featuring Ex. LNER engines with early crests or 1960s - BR Midland Region featuring Ex. LMS engines with late crests). Track will most probably be SMP Scaleway code 75 Bullhead rail with handbuild points, but the final decission has not yet been made as I'm still experimenting.

The layout inspiration has been the Great Central Railway through Nottingham. Initially I shall be making scratch built samples of Nottingham Victoria station and the surrounding buildings, streets and infrastructure, all repositioned to give a smaller ficticious station with GCR character. For example, the Upper Parliament Street bridge over 'The Vic's' South throat (which held the Fine Fare Market and Boots building) is to be the scene-break. This structure will be closer to the station's overall glass roof (of which only one bay will be produced in low relief) with the ends of the platforms modelled, protruding from this bridge (as the platforms did at the North end of the station, from under Central Road bridge). at the ficticious station (Cunningham Central) this will form the North end of the station (the only end modelled). Tracks converge from here and enter a tunnel based on the entrance to Mansfield Road tunnel. Retaining walls and rock cut areas will be repositioned relative to the tunnel mouth and station buildings. Only one island platform (therefore only 2 bay platforms) are to be modelled, with only one passing loop on each side. There are no through lines in the centre of the station, the platform layout being based more closely on Leicester Central.

Also, just to add spice to the mix; I have taken inspiration from Annesley MPD. Modelled with the turn table in a new location and the engine shed reduced from 6 tracks to 4, the shed will be as close to the original as the space will allow. The MPD, complete with coaling tower, will be located between the end of the platforms and the Northern tunnel portal, off to the East, therefore right in the City Centre!

Engines and stock will be that typical of the Ex. GCR in BR days, either BR Eastern Region or later BR Midland Region. (My Father collects Eastern region early crest locos and owns Mk1, Thompson & Gresley stock in Carmine and Cream livery. I tend to go for Ex.LMS engines in late crest and later maroon Mk1's and Ex.LMS carriages) The overall look of the stock and structures will be grimey and work stained. There will be prototypical (but shortened) freights, parcels, football specials and railtours as seen towards the end of the Ex.GCR mainline days. A few guest engines will therefore feature. At the moment I'm not too bothered about having the correct numbered locos for shed allocations etc, but this may change in the future. for now I'm interested in having the correct classes of loco with the right amount of weathering for the period and area modelled.

Baseboards are constructed, (for a previous layout that was abandoned due to moving house) but will require cutting down in size for the smaller space available and also some modification to position board joints so as not to be underneath points/junctions.

Thanks for reading, I shall update this thread as things progress.

The plan (Revision J - Final Revision) is attached below as a thumbnail. Also attached is a signalling plan provided by Mr Flyingsignalman. It shows both bay platforms still in use, but this won't be the case once built.

cunninghamcentralgcr.th.jpg

file.php?id=20464

---Updated--- (04/06/2010)

For those of you who are interested, current stock list:

Early Crest:

Ex. LNER V2 - Lined Green

Ex. LNER B1 - Lined Black 'Oureby'

Ex. LNER J39

Ex. LMS Fowler Crab

BR Standard 7MT 'Hereward The Wake'

Late Crest:

Ex. LMS 3F Jocko Tank

Ex. LMS Fairburn Tank

Ex. LMS Ivatt 4MT (Single Chimney with tablet catcher)

Ex. LMS Rebuilt Royal Scot 'Royal Inskilling Fusilier'

BR Standard 4MT Lined Green

BR Standard 9F lightly weathered

BR Standard 9F lightly weathered (to be heavily weathered)

BR Standard 9F heavily weathered (needs TLC)

BR Standard 9F 'Evening Star' - Needs work, now a candidate for conversion to Rebuilt Crosti 9F

WD 2-8-0 medium weathering

Ex. GWR Hall 'Conyngham Hall' (a close name-sake for the layout) - for Bournemouth-York expresses

Ex. LNER K3

Ex. LNER A1 'Tornado'

Ex. LNER A3 'Flying Scotsman' - Brunswick with German style smoke deflectors.

Ex. LNER A4 'Union of South Africa' - Specials only.

Engines I would like to aquire for this layout:

BR Standard 5MT

Ex. LMS Rebuilt Jubilee

Ex. LMS Rebuilt Patriot

Ex. LMS Jubilee in BR Green

Ex. LMS 5MT (x2)

Ex. LMS 8F

Ex. LNER B17

Ex. LNER/GCR 04/8K

BR Green Class 08 Shunter (body shell required only)

BR Green Class 31 (body shell required only)

BR Green Class 37 (body shell required only)

BR Green Class 47 (body shell required only)

Carriages:

Ex.LNER Gresley Teaks in Carmine & Cream and Maroon.

Ex. LNER Thompson carriages in Maroon

BR Mk1's in Carmine & Cream and Maroon

Wagons:

Hardly any to mention. Several 16T minerals, couple of ventilated vans.

Mostly Bachmann, Hornby, Lima and Replica Railways RTR stock.

• RMweb Gold

The plan (Revision J - Final Revision) is attached below as a thumbnail. Also attached is Revision B of a signalling plan someone on here provided for me. Sorry, I can't remember who it was! It still however shows both bay platforms still in use.

Advanced distant :blink: - is that a GCR thing ?

Advanced distant blink.gif - is that a GCR thing ?

I'm not sure what the terminology would be for this item. Basically, imagine a very short cutting between two tunnels at the other end of the tunnel I shall be modelling. This cutting contains a distant with inadequote forward visibility/sighting, therefore a repeater is placed before the tunnel. Not sure this is prototypical in any sense and I may just removing it altogether. Signalling is not exactly my strong point.

**Signalling plan image above swapped.

Advance Auto Distant - Colour lightadvance warning of a semaphone distant further down the line. As used at Nottingham Victoria. 4 aspect light though, so I will have to investigate further.....

Photograph by Chris Ward. See his superb Annesley Shed website Here!

post-7944-12604368940359_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

The track plan is currently changing slightly, in order to add more realistic handbuilt pointwork and also to iron out some of the tight 17" radii curves in the off-scene areas.

Updates will be posted soon.

As for signalling, this shall follow the principles and styling of Nottingham Vic during Midland Region ownership.

Archived