Problems with decoders

theoldmansminion

hi all,

desperately need some help

probablt been asked before, but will Bachmann decoders work with Hornby select system?

placing the lbachmann on the track , all i get is a loud buzzing from the loco, and the select controller dosent seem to reconise it?

being new to all this, i get the same reaction with the Hornby locos, that havent got a decoder in them.....and they all work fine with a gaugemaster DC controller.

thanks in advance

Then I would strongly suspect that the Bachmann locos do not have a decoder fitted. The Select should recognise a Bachmann decoder.

Are the Bachmann locos clased as 'DCC Ready' which do NOT have a decoder or 'DCC Fitted' which DO have a decoder?

havent had the bodies off,

the weekend was the first time they had been out of thier boxes

i've rung him, and he gave me the numbers (hes miles away, and basically we're rebuilding the layout from scratch)

i know one of them is 32-214 , its a 57xx GWR tank, the other is a pannier, but thats still in the attic, we'll have to get back to you with this one

• RMweb Gold

32-214 is a DCC ready product, not DCC fitted.

So unless someone has specifically fitted a chip, there will not be one present. This would explain why it behaves like a non DCC loco under the Hornby Select.

ahhhhh,

ok, that clears that up then, when it says on the box, 8 pin DCC, what its actually saying...now, buy this as well.

its like buying a brand new car, and saying, now all you need is an engine

so that means i got to put decoders in 15 locos now...and i thought i only had to do 13. at least i only have to plumb in 7 harnesses

cheers for your help guys, helped clearing this up

ahhhhh,

ok, that clears that up then, when it says on the box, 8 pin DCC, what its actually saying...now, buy this as well.

its like buying a brand new car, and saying, now all you need is an engine

so that means i got to put decoders in 15 locos now...and i thought i only had to do 13. at least i only have to plumb in 7 harnesses

cheers for your help guys, helped clearing this up

No it gives you the option to CHIP the loco and go DCC or leave it as analogue

• RMweb Gold

With Bachmann, the product number has DC on the end if the model has a factory installed DCC chip, or DS if it has a factory installed DCC chip with sound, and the box will say DCC Fitted or DCC Sound fitted. Models with just the number don't have DCC chips installed, the 6-pin, 8-pin or 21-pin bit tells you which type of chip you need to buy if you want to install one yourself (or have one installed for you).

The car analogy doesn't work too well - the models do have a motor fitted and will run quite happily on traditional DC control. This is what most purchasers are buying them for - DCC certainly doesn't have anywhere near 50% of the market, though it is growing in popularity all the time.

Archived