Railways around Stoke/Staffordshire in the 1970's/1980's

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I knew it was Bromshall....I take a keen interest in the Clog and Knocker line.

It had a really tall signal box there.Bromshall%252520Jct%252520Sb%252520%25255BHBO%25255D.jpg

Why is this box so tall?

Again I presume it's a McKenzie and Holland designed box for the NSR?

Looks as if you'd need oxygen up there!

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Some of the memories of Class 24's at Leek and Cauldon Low.

Brilliant shots SO,

Thanks for posting them. Any idea when you took them. I presume they're late 1960's-early 1970's?

More food for thought!

Cheers,

Mark

Why is this box so tall?

Again I presume it's a McKenzie and Holland designed box for the NSR?

Looks as if you'd need oxygen up there!

Cheers,

Mark

It was on a bend, and a hillside was oppsite the box, so it needed the height in order to get visibility., There was a junction here up to the 60's, where a line shot off to Stafford.

Check out this link on here, Andy, our leader, posted this thread a little while back, he lives in Stafford and takes an interest in his local area railways.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/39555-clog-and-knocker-stafford-to-uttoxeter/page__hl__knocker__fromsearch__1

Bob

The 24 off the rails is at Cauldon Low. Taken in 1973, the other one is Leek circa 1969, but I've the exact dates somewhere just not to hand. Both shots were taken by my late father. The one off the rails I remember very well as my father spotted the breakdown train going over the bridge at Leek Brook on his way home from work, and we didn't get tea that night as we were bundled in the car and off to Cualdon we went.

• RMweb Gold

Bob,

Thanks for the explanation.

I remember reading Andy's post last year. The talk of the peat bogs and engines going missing certainly had a touch of drama about it.

Thanks as well SO. They are very much photos of the period and its interesting to see the Class 24 till has it's 'D' number prefix. I'll have to keep an eye out for a Farish one one day.

I love the story too re: your father and Cauldon Low and the derailed 24.

Cheers,

Mark

I'm the official custodian of all my late fathers railway photo's. One day I'm sure they will all make it on to flickr and when they do you will be able to see the Churnet Valley Line in all its glory kettles and early diesels.

We will be holding you to that !!!

Great stuff and thanks for posting

• 5 years later...

Can this topic stretch (just) into the 1990s?

While working at Stoke I was lucky enough to go to Oakamoor to collect some coaches that had been used in a military training exercise.  Light engine from Stoke, back with a rake of Mk2s and a brake van.  26th March 1991.  Loco 31147.  Surprised a few of the locals.  Cheddleton yard was in preservation hands but the main line wasn't at the time.  We also found a couple of derelict shunters in the shed at Oakamoor. Not best quality photos but may be of interest.  

post-18779-0-52897900-1512426453_thumb.jpg

post-18779-0-61370500-1512426448_thumb.jpg

post-18779-0-56702300-1512426442_thumb.jpg

post-18779-0-45525500-1512426436_thumb.jpg

Archived