Bachmann Class 40 32-475DC and 32-480DS

GaryHN

• RMweb Gold

Yes the warship has them too and requires the same medicine....how about the new peak?

Phil

I'm happy to report that the new 45 has the original style wiper pickups. Sobering to report I have paid only £10 less for D108 than I did a few months ago for a second hand sound fitted D55!

• 4 weeks later...

.... can any one answer a question about the new circuit board?

My eyes have nearly gone loopy looking at the tracks on it!

Can I modify it to use the 2 spare outputs to be the front and rear tail lights?

I have a poor picture of the card attached

I have just picked up a spare new-type PCB, devoid of connections.

Would anyone with a "new 40" be able to help by taking a photo of their PCB showing all the connections / wires in place, please? This would help me understand where everything is supposed to go.

Thanks in advance.

• 4 months later...

I have just purchased a new un-run D211 and straight out of the box it runs superbly.  I know I am in the slow leaner's class but I was mildly surprised to find that the model runs with sound, using my Gaugemaster DS.  There is a video on YouTube.  The picture jumps around a bit as I was holding the camera with one hand whist operating various section switches and points. Towards the end of the reversing loop I have to switch controllers - no problem not even a flicker from the lights.

If I had read this thread earlier I might not have been so keen to make the purchase.  I don't know where this model has been hiding but for the moment I well pleased.

Ray

Edited by Silver Sidelines
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Sounds like someones done a good job getting rid of the dreaded non conductive grease Ray

Additional pick ups are straightforwards though if you find you need them

Phil

• RMweb Gold

I have just purchased a new un-run D211 and straight out of the box it runs superbly.  I know I am in the slow leaner's class but I was mildly surprised to find that the model runs with sound, using my Gaugemaster DS.  There is a video on YouTube.  The picture jumps around a bit as I was holding the camera with one hand whist operating various section switches and points. Towards the end of the reversing loop I have to switch controllers - no problem not even a flicker from the lights.

If I had read this thread earlier I might not have been so keen to make the purchase.  I don't know where this model has been hiding but for the moment I well pleased.

Ray

Watch out for the BR Green split box version coming soon then. Agree,Ray,the revamped EE Type 4 ( aka 40 ) is a superb model.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well , If Bachmann are indeed fitting all their new diesel locos with this type of pickup, than I will not be buying any more, if I can help it.

I have spent hours cleaning the grease out, degreasing all the electrical parts & contacts, making new pickups and soldering them, fiddling with alignment & tension of the said pickups...........enough !!

Peter.

There's no need to faff about cleaning out any grease if you fit new (wheel wiper) pickups, - the original design, as they will bypass the problem completely, as a bonus you will also have 12 instead of 8 wheel pick up................

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've been advised that Hattons have sent my 32-484 blue centre headcode 40 159 in the past few days.

So the next batch is here - I have two of the previous release green small yellow panels, one of which has been converted to GFYE.

They're lovely models with the new tooling.

Neil

• RMweb Gold

32-484 is modelled as a Haymarket loco and has no MU cables - for added Scottish-ness the inner sandboxes ought to be removed. I'm a bit frustrated that we have to wait another year for an unweathered blue disc version, but they are such good models it's going to be difficult to restrain myself...

• Like 1

Agree in all respects apart from the pick up arrangement. Modifying my two as described earlier in this thread is high up my 'to do' list. Its more of a problem with sound fitted.

The new release class 40s, 32-483 and 484 have had their pickups modified from the last batch, with pickup strips added to the middle and outer axles on both bogies. This should enable smooth and reliable running as it doubles the pickups from before.

Edit - I should point out that 32-482 must have the new pickup as well.

Edited by Stueyboy43
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hurrah!

Nice to know Bachmann have been listening....

Time to do D326 from this batch then

She was notorious not only for Great Train Robbery but also for running away at Winston Green - but here she has escaped to Bristol

https://www.flickr.com/photos/68861278@N03/16003337241/in/photolist-qoahBB-8LDCsL-oeBuPm-MDtoL-7rh6u1-hZs8gN-d9UbCe-63xxUz-42QD31-5CCEZg-iPcYYq-pwXTtz-6uVjL4-37x3e3-4viLTu-56YG8t-cZm8hu-9vS8u7-9uwJpM-6HpeFX-8ah3sd-N4PSK-bziR8k-349aRy-74pkxh-qEGYE9-7msnew-6q7aZM-f4eJqd-f4eJwq-6dYEiw-2pvNuT-8U6x3H-rum5KX-7z38Xj-6fnny8-4kGLzQ-4YfCpv-AWiNvq-8CLtZJ-nSzbpL-q8G5cr-3pVLvf-eQwsn-3B4cRk-6v4rD3-bmMmTm-e1vVAG-ijyUTF-BoT4pm

Thanks to Glawster Old Spot for that super shot

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 2

Phil,

Some years ago, from recollection Bachmann planned to market D326. Due to an adverse reaction, they dropped this loco due to it's Great Train Robbery association. However you never know, it could be a future club model !

It was a planned Rails of Sheffield limited edition.

Just tested D 338.IMHO,Bachmann's best diesel to date. Phenomenal performance at slow speed .Improved pick ups very effective.Smooth and quiet.An exquisite model beautifully finished and detailed.A cracker.Well done Barwell.

I look forward to receiving mine from Derails.

Excellent customer service from Little Dan as per the norm.

• 2 weeks later...

Just tested D 338.IMHO,Bachmann's best diesel to date. Phenomenal performance at slow speed .Improved pick ups very effective.Smooth and quiet.An exquisite model beautifully finished and detailed.A cracker.Well done Barwell.

Any one had any problems with this just released model.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Picked up D338 today and although I've only had a quick look I'm pretty impressed, one question though, the older model was pretty easy to lower but has anyone lowered one of the new 40's?

Cheers