Bachmann Class 40 32-475DC and 32-480DS

GaryHN

Sorry but the shallow bodyside of the 40's is a far bigger issue than any perceived sin with the Sulzer 2's. The 40 is so unlike the prototype I'm prepared to do something about it (Detailed Lima shell on Bachmann chassis) whereas the Sulzers at leas capture the basic look of the class.

Personal opinion, to be fair. The 'face' and nose of the 40 looks right, none of the type 2 fronts do that. Not from where I'm looking anyway ;)

Sorry but the shallow bodyside of the 40's is a far bigger issue than any perceived sin with the Sulzer 2's. The 40 is so unlike the prototype I'm prepared to do something about it (Detailed Lima shell on Bachmann chassis) whereas the Sulzers at leas capture the basic look of the class.

Personal opinion, to be fair. The 'face' and nose of the 40 looks right, none of the type 2 fronts do that. Not from where I'm looking anyway ;)

As Pennine says, the type 2 front and underframe and cabside window and................ are wrong, but the 40 to me, well - it's between the cabs that don't do it for me.

Personal opinion

The centre headcode nose is also grotesquely misproportioned. I can't usually see the errors of a manufacturer's ways without comparing against photographs, but this just shouts "wrong" from the rooftops.

Anyway, we're getting a good'un it's to be hoped, so I suggest we leave the previous placeholder alone in anticipation of mass expenditure later this year!

I agree that the headcode does look not quite right - I think I just got used to it :mellow:

XF

• 1 month later...

Just noticed on the Bachmann website, Class 40 (32-481) in BR Green Centre Headcode, all these new releases and an extra Class 40 as well. I don't think its been mentioned yet in the main announcements.

Edited by spackz
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Just reading the latest collectors club magazine and it says "Although the original intention was to produce a new chassis for the Class 40 to accomodate DCC Sound and lighting system, the model is also receiving a totally new body tooling, hence the delay in relesing this model on to the market"

Roll on the new Class 40's!!!!!!

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

The bottom will probably drop out of the "old" Class 40 market, with only the underframe/chassis/drivetrain/bogies being worth anything.

Wonder if this may be the route to reshodding my Linby fleet, or at least the ScR headcode examples, in the interim... Does anyone know with confidence which proposed numbers/ liveries/ headcode/ disc configurations are planned?

• 3 weeks later...

I am the only one to be quite happy with the currently Bachmann Class 40 offerings?

Puts tin helmet on and retreats! :lol:

XF

I'm with you too, I have one of the current batch of Bachmann 40's, and I do like it, but I am looking forward to the new one.

I think the front of the current Bachmann 40 looks good, but the sides between the cabs don't have the 'big' feel of the prototypes, but it still feels like a 40 to me.

I bought a Jouef 40 in the late 70's (possibly early 80's) as a teenager, and even then I thought it was a terrible model. I found it in a old box recently, and it is so far removed from what a 40 looks like. It isn't even OO loading gauge, or possibly just the wrong scale altogether.

Perhaps the experience with the Jouef model makes me grateful for anything remotely like the prototype, even if details are a bit wrong, they are at least near to being to scale.

I'll try and post a picture of the two together, and maybe the three when the new ones arrive.

Edited by Jamiel

• 3 weeks later...

I think the face is better on the splitbox version, heres mine with a younger sibling.

post-4133-0-83814400-1346283337_thumb.jpg

perhaps its a livery thing but the 25's I have look ok to me.

post-4133-0-15623800-1346283500_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Personal opinion, to be fair. The 'face' and nose of the 40 looks right.....

Maybe it depends which angle you're looking at. The Bachmann 40 nose front seems a bit compressed to me; it could do with an additional 0.5-to-1mm added along the bottom. What it does get right is the slant of the nose front (Lima rendered this as being perfectly vertical, which it isn't).

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just noticed the Hattons preorder pricing on 40 141 has gone up £20. I have two on preorder at £62 and £68. May have been a good move.

Many of my Bachmann 40 chassis have gone under detailed Lima models. If you want to see how wrong the flanks are on the current Bachmann model try fitting nameplates when comparing to prototype photos.

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

post-6925-0-30746500-1347099216_thumb.jpg

Here's a heavily modified Bachmann 40 (40 196) constructed by Roomey of this parish, of which I am the proud owner. It uses the Bachmann noses and the (more) correct Lima body. Excuse the scenery in progress!

I'm hoping the new tooling will address both the squat nose and the cantrail/flank errors. 40 015 in the background is unmodified save the renumbering, naming and frost grille fitting as per 1974 condition.

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone got any news/updates when this loco is comming out?

Was looking through my emails and saw an order confirmation from a model shop dated back in October 2010!

So it's been over 2 years now.....

Tony

Anyone got any news/updates when this loco is comming out?

Was looking through my emails and saw an order confirmation from a model shop dated back in October 2010!

So it's been over 2 years now.....

Tony

Just checked Bachmann website and it's not on the 60 day forecast. Seriously thinking about cancelling my advance order.