Bachmann Class 40 32-475DC and 32-480DS

GaryHN

Email from hattons to say class 40 (blue version) due feb/ march despite Bachmann site recently being amended to say otherwise! Time will tell!

Mark

Doesn't the Bachmann web site site give Feb/March as expected dates ?

I posted this earlier in the thread, but remember that 32-475DC Split Headcode blue 40 was actually announced in 2007. OK since then they decided to retool etc etc but I think after 6 years another six months is neither here nor there!

PS back then I preordered from my local retailer but given that since then the owner has retired and passed the business on I suspect the 2007 price won't be honoured  :no:

Edited by andyman7
  • Like 1

D372 - Into service 03/01/1962 - Longsight

D380 - Into service 05/03/1962 - Camden

Bill

Thanks for those dates. Ties the date of the phots down fairly well to March/April 1962 by the (ex-works) condition of the locos.

BTW is there an accessable source of the intro dates of the EE 4s (class 40s) ?

• RMweb Gold

Bill

BTW is there an accessable source of the intro dates of the EE 4s (class 40s) ?

If you want to track individual locos then the class 40 mother list is a cracking resource:

http://www.class40motherlist.com/index.html

You'll have to hunt a bit but one of the best on line.

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 1

well im happy, flicking through the site Neil linked to,I found a record of centre headcode D369 working into Liverpool exchange from Glasgow central in september 1963, just my period. 1S76 was the headcode for that train so thats what ill have on mine when Bachmann bring out D369.

Im assuming it would have had small yellow panel at this date.

also split headcode D326 a month earlier on 1M27 Liverpool exchange - Glasgow, first record ive seen of a split headcode version on this route and hopefully Bachmann may do this loco in the future as its preserved on the east lancs.

along with lots of other early front versions on this working, ill get some of those in the future, when they do them with small yellow panel. but for now im looking forward to D369.

interesting that the site gives details of a locos working in to or out of Liverpool exchange, but no return workings noted so there is a lot more than is noted. as im sure is obvious as not everything is recorded. but it gives a good snapshot.

Edited by Michael Delamar
  • Like 1

If you want to track individual locos then the class 40 mother list is cracking resource:

http://www.class40motherlist.com/index.html

You'll have to hunt a bit but one of the best on line.

Neil

Neil,

Thanks for the link.

• Like 2

also split headcode D326 a month earlier on 1M27 Liverpool exchange - Glasgow, first record ive seen of a split headcode version on this route and hopefully Bachmann may do this loco in the future as its preserved on the east lancs.

I think that you are getting mixed up with D335 Michael, 40126 (D326) was cut up very shortly after withdrawal (To prevent souvenir hunters apparently)

• Like 1

yes of course your quite right I got mixed up, dont think they will do D326.

There was a green D326 L/E listed a few years ago, I think it was behalf of Rails of Sheffield but was cancelled before production.

There were some adverse comments at the time on one or two of the modelling forums regarding how tasteful it was to commission such a model.

Personally I did consider having one, if only because my father drove it on a SR excursion many years ago, though he never realised until the LM pilotman told him so.

I'm a bit intrigued as to how tasteful it is to produce an rtr model of D326. It must have travelled a few million miles in its time and just happened to be on a certain train at a certain time. It's like saying that no manufacturer should make a model of City of Glasgow - it's hardly the locos fault as to the events it gets caught up in.

• Like 1

its a tough one, I think if they did it it would sell, its the question of do they package it in a fancy box highlighting what happened to it.

its the cruelty to the driver and the glorifying of the criminals which people dont like, 50 years ago this year btw.

if they did it I think it should be boxed and presented like any other loco.

models have been produced of other locos that crashed accidentaly with loss of life, such as DP2.

anyway, Ive just been given a shot of spit headcode D338 at Ormksirk on a Glasgow central Liverpool exchange so there is another split I never knew traversed this route.  

• Like 1

I'm a bit intrigued as to how tasteful it is to produce an rtr model of D326. It must have travelled a few million miles in its time and just happened to be on a certain train at a certain time. It's like saying that no manufacturer should make a model of City of Glasgow - it's hardly the locos fault as to the events it gets caught up in.

I don't think too many people would buy a limited edition model of it just because of it is the Great Train Robbery engine. I seem to recall when the real loco was withdrawn BR scrapped it quickly so it did not get preserved, presumably for the same reason Michael gave above.

Perhaps if there was a way some of the proceeds (like the Collectors Club did with Black Prince) could go to somewhere to benefit the drivers family or something, that might work for it.

Swings and roundabouts but i think in this instance its a model thats best avoided. 

There really isnt a need - can people not just buy a green splitter and renumber it if they must have D326 on their layout to play cops and robbers with?

Edited by ThaneofFife

Swings and roundabouts but i think in this instance its a model thats best avoided. 

There really isnt a need - can people not just buy a green splitter and renumber it if they must have D326 on their layout to play cops and robbers with?

This is the point that I'm getting at. Why assume that people want to play cops and robbers just because they have a model of D326?

All BR 1950s West Coast Main Line modellers say "Oooo! I've made a model of City of Glasgow just because I want to re-enact Harrow." Err no.

Anyway, I've digressed. You are quite correct that if an individual wishes to have a certain loco they can always renumber it and I'm sure your cops and robbers comment was meant tongue in cheek.

I do know of someone who has a model of 66521 because they worked as part of the accident investigation team. Their choice but it would seem very morbid to some people.

Edited by Flood

this class 40 hardly gets a mention, first one to be withdrawn, sadly the crew where killed in the cab to the left when a freight train split and ran backwards into it in 1966. http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/documents/MoT_ActonGrange1966.pdf

8291497621_416ca99838_z.jpg
247 Class 40 D322 at Crewe works Jan 1967 by edgehillsignalman, on Flickr

back to the model, the daylight under the nose and bogie was talked about earlier, this shot gives a good view of the daylight between.

8332397669_79a90a8855_c.jpg
40074 Garsdale 2.4.83 by George of Dufton, on Flickr

and this one is a good shot from another thread, can see the pipe which is missing on the Bachmann shot over the leading leaf spring and the rubbing plate in front of it, with this missing on the model it does leave a gap and affects the look, I suspect they may leave this off as I found with my O gauge 40 it needs a bit of setting up to get it to look like its sitting on it but so it doesnt actually touch so as to derail the loco.

but If it doesnt come with it i would try and make it as it closes that gap up.

8192903789_d15fd7407f_c.jpg
D242 by 70023venus2009, on Flickr

• Like 4

Mike;

Is this a slightly better view of the 'missing' pipe ?

40182 Longsight 3rd May 1982

post-1161-0-21745300-1359216918.jpg

BTW I can't see Bachmann missing it can you?

• Like 3