Bachmann Class 40 32-475DC and 32-480DS

GaryHN

Although "Aureol" in her 97xxx end of life number looks great, I would have preferred a more run of the mill disk headcode example that I could have run in mid- 1970s guise...

A bit like this?

Thanks to Leeslocos.

attachicon.giff.jpg

I didn't think that blurred image did justice to Lee's efforts, managed to grab another in the sunshine today.

post-4133-0-18351700-1430171326_thumb.jpg

post-4133-0-84082800-1430171409_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have a problem with 32-480DS D211 'Mauritania' DCC on board, i've had this model since January and I have been very pleased with it, well, until yesterday that is, the loco was running fine on my layout  when all of a sudden the sound went, the loco still runs well and all lighting associated with it works as well.

My first thought was that the sound decoder had blown, but this afternoon I tried the loco again and the loco started up as per normal but the sound went again after a few seconds, I have absolutely no idea about these things, any of you good people out there know what may be causing this fault ?

I would really appreciate any help.

• RMweb Gold

Good morning Brian

How hot does the chip get? Have had a similar problem in the past - chip would start sound as you describe but then would fall silent after a couple of minutes, got very hot suggesting component failure

Kind regards

Phil

Good morning Phil,

I have not taken the body off as i'm concerned I will make matters even worse, when the problem arose the other day the body didn't feel hot or even warm for that matter, late last night I tried the loco again, nothing, although when I gently pressed down on the top of the loco the sound chip was making an effort to burst into life, as I said in my previous post I know nothing about DCC sound, I am grabbing at straws here, but their seems to be life in the chip, do you think that the chip has worked loose or become dislodged in some way ?

Regards,

Brian.

Edited by Brian Hawkins

Good morning Phil,

although when I gently pressed down on the top of the loco the sound chip was making an effort to burst into life

The speaker is mounted in an enclosure under the roof fan, and makes electrical contact with the chassis via 2 metal tabs. My money is on these tabs not having enough spring. Take the body off and check them. 2 minute job. I detest the current trend of these form of contacts they are inherently unreliable.

Thanks blueeighties,

This sounds very much like the problem I have, I have never taken off a body before, I will wait until a good friend of mine pops round next Wednesday to take a look, as he knows what he is doing, fingers crossed that this is indeed the problem, i'll certainly let you know the outcome, thanks again.

Kind Regards,

Brian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I hard wired mine with a micro plug to allow separation of body and chassis - along with other changes which finally ended up wit the fitting of a capacitor...

Chris

Thanks blueeighties,

This sounds very much like the problem I have, I have never taken off a body before, I will wait until a good friend of mine pops round next Wednesday to take a look, as he knows what he is doing, fingers crossed that this is indeed the problem, i'll certainly let you know the outcome, thanks again.

Kind Regards,

Brian.

No problem Brian, good luck  :locomotive:

• RMweb Gold

Agree with Lees comments  - have hard wired mine from pick ups to speaker to elimincate this possibility

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 1

Well, my mate popped round this morning and removed the body and had a look at the two metal tabs, everything appeared to be as it should be, it now appears the fault is with the sound decoder as the sound is a bit muffled and is intermittent, a return to Bachmann is the only way forward i believe, many thanks for your help and advice, its much appreciated.

• Like 2

I noticed that there was discussion at one point about green class 40s having a grey top to the nose. I found a picture I took in the late 70s of a blue one that looks as though it might have this feature. I took the pic from the footbridge when it was running round the Scarborough- Glasgow (or Glasgow- Scarborough!). Maybe the paint had been patched at some time and was just fading?

Dave

post-11423-0-72238300-1431611913_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I noticed that there was discussion at one point about green class 40s having a grey top to the nose. I found a picture I took in the late 70s of a blue one that looks as though it might have this feature. I took the pic from the footbridge when it was running round the Scarborough- Glasgow (or Glasgow- Scarborough!). Maybe the paint had been patched at some time and was just fading?

Dave

Can you go back and take this picture in colour please?? ;) :)

• RMweb Gold

Dave

Hmmmm - whoever fitted that Extreme etching fan grille didn't get it straight..... :jester:

Phil

I never noticed that on any loco before I looked at my old pic. Here is another class 40 coupling up on the same day at York.  Note the family audience. Those days have gone forever!

post-11423-0-59398000-1431788708_thumb.jpg

Edited by drgj
  • Like 5

I never noticed that on any loco before I looked at my old pic. Here is another class 40 coupling up on the same day at York.  Note the family audience. Those days have gone forever!

'Twas always a satisfying "clunk" when the loco coupled up: I think that's one aspect that I miss the most from today's "plastic" railway. I appreciate that no stock lasts forever but current operators are missing the flexibility that LHCS provides on medium to long distance journeys, IMHO...

Edited by DropTheTap

Here is a pic of a  class 40 (40 010) I took at Rhyl in the 70s. You can see  a group of children beginning to climb into the cab. Busy on the platform beyond, too.

post-11423-0-70686200-1432058792_thumb.jpg

Edited by drgj
  • Like 7

The new Bachmann 40s certainly are dearer. I mentioned before that I have D211 with the sound removed for which I paid £85 a few months ago. I thought this was a bit too much, really, but now I am not so sure. A second hand blue split box loco (non sound but DCC fitted)  went for £160 on eBay. I suppose  the blue ones are more sought after. 

I like taking pics  with people in. These chaps are getting in ready to get haulage by this blue split box 40.

post-11423-0-74117000-1432482204_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I took that at Prestatyn, I believe.  

I notice this loco has no frost shields fitted. In my other pic 40 010 has frost shields and also the blue line under the number which showed that it had had replacement traction motors.

Dave

Edited by drgj

The first batch of 40s came out a few months before Bachmann price increases and were real bargains at less than £90 each.

This model is outstanding, I was inspired by the magazine reviews.

I suspect the next batch will be at least £140.

I don't think they'll be quite that much. Although the 40's have TBA next to them on the Bachmann site, even the 'new' Deltics (with factory weathering- which bumps the price up a few more pounds) are listed at £132.95 and that's before any retailer discount.

That being said, I'm certainly glad that I bought my two when I did- one split box machine, now renumbered to 40127, and the green centre headcode version, which has since turned blue and become 40181.

I just require a couple of disc headcode machines now and I'll be a happy bunny.

• Like 1

I don't think they'll be quite that much. Although the 40's have TBA next to them on the Bachmann site, even the 'new' Deltics (with factory weathering- which bumps the price up a few more pounds) are listed at £132.95 and that's before any retailer discount.

That being said, I'm certainly glad that I bought my two when I did- one split box machine, now renumbered to 40127, and the green centre headcode version, which has since turned blue and become 40181.

I just require a couple of disc headcode machines now and I'll be a happy bunny.

I agree, just wait a few months and the box shifters will reduce these models substantially.I bought two green liveried 40s with the centre headcode for £77 each from Hatton's.They really are brilliant!