Bachmann Class 40 32-475DC and 32-480DS

GaryHN

• RMweb Gold

Agree the mark 2 tooling is a delight to work on when changing nose end details. No more masking and skew-whiff yellow lines and masking tape bleed.

Here's how I took off the noses on a Bachmann mark 2 class 40

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/61530-downendian-details/?p=1685270

And the end result, awaiting renumbering to a TOPS green example.

post-6925-0-36102500-1523222895.jpg

Neil

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Evening Andy

Given that 40s weren't that common on our patch we only have 4 -

D200, disc GSYP from the new D211 tooling, SYP added

D308, disc BFYE from the old 40057 tooling

D326, split box GFYE from the new D338 tooling, FYE added

D373, Centre box GFYE from the old D369 tooling, FYE added

So haven't actually swapped noses am afraid - only removed and replaced as Robert highlighted to facilitate repainting

Its a shame Bachmann don't sell them separately - have you asked them if they have a spare body shell perhaps?

Cheers

Phil

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

The new 2019 announcements

32-486    Class 40 Split Headcode 40142 BR Blue
32-486SF  Class 40 Split Headcode 40142 BR Blue – SOUND FITTED
32-487    Class 40 Disc Headcode D213 'Andania' BR Green (Small Yellow Panels) - As preserved
32-487SF  Class 40 Disc Headcode D213 'Andania' BR Green (Small Yellow Panels) – As preserved SOUND FITTED

along with the 2018 range, not yet delivered

32-480    Class 40 Disc Headcode D248 BR Green no yellow panels

So since the 2014 re-tool, there will have been at least 9 releases, before we could conceivably in 2020 get a standard disc-headcode loco in BR Blue (unweathered), and in BR Green SYP. Considering almost 2/3rds of the class carried disc headcodes in both these liveries, I find this pretty disappointing.

We will have had though, 2 releases of GNYP disc headcode, and 2 BFYE split headcode (the latter representing only 10% of the class). Perhaps the wishlisting poll could be expanded to allow votes for these variations, I know the Bachmann class 47 buyers have similar frustrations.

32-487    Class 40 Disc Headcode D213 'Andania' BR Green (Small Yellow Panels) - As preserved
32-487SF  Class 40 Disc Headcode D213 'Andania' BR Green (Small Yellow Panels) – As preserved SOUND FITTED

We will have had though, 2 releases of GNYP disc headcode, and 2 BFYE split headcode (the latter representing only 10% of the class). Perhaps the wishlisting poll could be expanded to allow votes for these variations, I know the Bachmann class 47 buyers have similar frustrations.

The first release of green disc NYP was only sound fitted though, it has taken till now to get a non sound fitted version.

So since the 2014 re-tool, there will have been at least 9 releases, before we could conceivably in 2020 get a standard disc-headcode loco in BR Blue (unweathered), and in BR Green SYP. Considering almost 2/3rds of the class carried disc headcodes in both these liveries, I find this pretty disappointing.

I Fully agree (Mr Stovepipe).

The class 40 looks so much better when wearing Disc headcodes.

I have mentioned before on this forum that my ultimate "wish list" would be to see Sutton Loco Works produce a class 40.

Although when I spoke to TMC, they mentioned that they have a class 40 from Bachmann in the pipeline, which will be in Blue, unweathered, and with discs.

Let us pray !!!

• Like 1

I Fully agree (Mr Stovepipe).

The class 40 looks so much better when wearing Disc headcodes.

I have mentioned before on this forum that my ultimate "wish list" would be to see Sutton Loco Works produce a class 40.

Although when I spoke to TMC, they mentioned that they have a class 40 from Bachmann in the pipeline, which will be in Blue, unweathered, and with discs.

Let us pray !!!

I’m hoping for SLW or now an accurascale version.

Or anything where the multiple working plugs are in 4mm scale and not 7 :-)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

The model of D213 if its the preserved version it will need a new front end  cause it carriers a high density headlight fitting like 40145 does for mainline use 

Rails have a picture of D213 - certainly looks like a headlight (and a cantrail stripe).

https://images.railsofsheffield.com/product-images.axd/32-487SF.jpg?preset=large

and also 40142 in TOPS, with alpha numeric headcode

https://images.railsofsheffield.com/product-images.axd/32-486SF.jpg?preset=large

• RMweb Gold

Rails have a picture of D213 - certainly looks like a headlight (and a cantrail stripe).

https://images.railsofsheffield.com/product-images.axd/32-487SF.jpg?preset=large

and also 40142 in TOPS, with alpha numeric headcode

https://images.railsofsheffield.com/product-images.axd/32-486SF.jpg?preset=large

Interesting livery on 40142 - prototypically accurate - arrow of indecision on one cab side only.

Phil

Hear hear!!

I want someone else to do a Class 40 because the Haymarket headcode version hasn't been done by Bachmann.

:O

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

https://www.flickr.com/photos/55727763@N02/7091009555

That would be a nice modelling project starting from https://www.hattons.co.uk/107366/Bachmann_Branchline_32_484_Class_40_40159_in_BR_Blue/StockDetail.aspx

Remove nose ends from loco...remove lamp Iron and some handrails - plasticard cut to shape - drill out and file aperture - prime & respray ends and refit to loco for a unique personalised and distinctive loco

Why wait????

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

That would be a nice modelling project starting from https://www.hattons.co.uk/107366/Bachmann_Branchline_32_484_Class_40_40159_in_BR_Blue/StockDetail.aspx

Remove nose ends from loco...remove lamp Iron and some handrails - plasticard cut to shape - drill out and file aperture - prime & respray ends and refit to loco for a unique personalised and distinctive loco

Why wait????

Phil

Don't worry Phil, all 7 of the beasts are ready in my WB queue in Limby donor form with the home brewed kit to fettle the known weak points.  Frankly I don't get this latest fad to wishlist competing locos from the smaller manufacturers over what are trivial details.  Frankly, if someone can't tweak an MU receptacle from after-market bits then it's a poor show.  Just my view, FWIW.   :angel:

• Like 3

There seems to be good few people asking but I wonder if it would be worth it. For me the errors are quite trivial and easy to overcome, like the bogie springs while a new model would head close to £200. So I would not really surrender my Bachmann creation for an all new model.

On the other side I would leap at an all new 33 so maybe I'm biased!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Why wait????

Phil

Cor Bilmey Lord Abbotswood,

You are suggesting to the masses they do some model making.......what ever next :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

• Like 2

Cor Bilmey Lord Abbotswood,

You are suggesting to the masses they do some model making.......what ever next :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

I suppose the point is not that we shouldn't do some model making, f course we should, that's what kits and plasticard is for... if the models cost 50 quid like not so long ago im happy to take a knife/saw/paint to them and modify them with glee, but i think (as do many others) that these models are poor and cost a lot. High price should equal high fidelity. Too often Bachmann only meet half that equation. Edited by The Ghost of IKB

• 6 months later...

Well finally I have got my second hand (bought in a closing down sale so it was new)  D211 'Mauritania' to run sweet as a nut ......I bought it nearly two years ago and like many on here was so very disappointed with the running .....or lack of it to be honest. As a result it has languished on the 'jobs to do ' pile for all this time I then picked up on this thread a couple of months ago and have worked my way through the very informative contributions ....thank you everyone...I now have a perfect running locomotive that crawls through the point work on Chester Northgate shed  6D without even a stutter .

Having taken the model to pieces I was amazed as it how much grease was covering the inside of the bogie workings no wonder it wouldn't run :angry: I spent a whole evening carefully wiping away the grease with kitchen roll and cotton buds and cleaned all the wheels and pick up's with 'track magic' . As suggested by many on here I added an extra pick up to the unpowered axle and then snipped the conductor strip about half way up the bogie pillar and then hard wired the bogie assembly to the collection point on the circuit board . I decided not to hard wire the speaker at present as the advantage of those 'touch' connectors does make body removal easy.  

Couple of shots of D211 on Chester Northgate 

1454564063_D211Mauritania001(950x481).jpg.29d7f83009e445b63b221b27e0095a48.jpg

1376854486_D211Mauritania002(950x560).jpg.e82e07531d4136088f8456e1a28b9686.jpg

Just a couple of quick questions regarding this model . 

Has anyone replaced the Bachmann fitted speaker on this model and if so what have people used and where did you site it.

And secondly as the locomotive was second hand I never got a list of sound functions, could anyone point my in the right direction as to where I might obtain this information . 

Thank you once again for this informative thread :fan:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, gismorail said:

Well finally I have got my second hand (bought in a closing down sale so it was new)  D211 'Mauritania' to run sweet as a nut ......I bought it nearly two years ago and like many on here was so very disappointed with the running .....or lack of it to be honest. As a result it has languished on the 'jobs to do ' pile for all this time I then picked up on this thread a couple of months ago and have worked my way through the very informative contributions ....thank you everyone...I now have a perfect running locomotive that crawls through the point work on Chester Northgate shed  6D without even a stutter .

Having taken the model to pieces I was amazed as it how much grease was covering the inside of the bogie workings no wonder it wouldn't run :angry: I spent a whole evening carefully wiping away the grease with kitchen roll and cotton buds and cleaned all the wheels and pick up's with 'track magic' . As suggested by many on here I added an extra pick up to the unpowered axle and then snipped the conductor strip about half way up the bogie pillar and then hard wired the bogie assembly to the collection point on the circuit board . I decided not to hard wire the speaker at present as the advantage of those 'touch' connectors does make body removal easy.  

Couple of shots of D211 on Chester Northgate 

1454564063_D211Mauritania001(950x481).jpg.29d7f83009e445b63b221b27e0095a48.jpg

1376854486_D211Mauritania002(950x560).jpg.e82e07531d4136088f8456e1a28b9686.jpg

Just a couple of quick questions regarding this model . 

Has anyone replaced the Bachmann fitted speaker on this model and if so what have people used and where did you site it.

And secondly as the locomotive was second hand I never got a list of sound functions, could anyone point my in the right direction as to where I might obtain this information . 

Thank you once again for this informative thread :fan:

Great to hear this has worked for you!

Before you look at changing the speaker - which suggests some lack of happiness with the current set up - have you tried sealing around it with blu tac? Improves the sound in these installations - quality and volume - class 40 and 43 - no end. 

Then theres the sound file - is that the source of your unhappiness? We have 4 locos with Howes in, pretty good, but others are available of course

Do watch out for the speaker rubbing contacts. I lost the sound output from a couple of chips in installations of this type. Cant prove it but suspect the contacts got displaced and touched the wrong pad and shorted - there is not positive location for them after all! Hence I prefer now to hard wire - reasonable lengths of wire dont cause any problems with body removal, can always be tweaked off the contacts on the chassis if needed. ESU did replace my chips too.

Happy whistling....

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
Spelling
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Phil Bullock said:

Great to hear this has worked for you!

Before you look at changing the speaker - which suggests some lack of happiness with the current set up - have you tried sealing around it with blu tac? Improves the sound in these installations - quality and volume - class 40 and 43 - no end. 

Then theres the sound file - is that the source of your unhappiness? We have 4 locos with Howes in, pretty good, but others are available of course

Do watch out for the speaker rubbing contacts. I lost the sound output from a couple of chips in installations of this type. Cant prove it but suspect the contacts got displaced and touched the wrong pad and shorted - there is not positive location for them after all! Hence I prefer now to hard wire - reasonable lengths of wire dont cause any problems with body removal, can always be tweaked off the contacts on the chassis if needed. ESU did replace my chips too.

Happy whistling....

Cheers

Phil

Many thanks for your kind comments Phil, with regard to the speaker I will try your suggestion ref: blu-tac was just looking for a bit more bass to be honest and I can see that by sealing the speaker could well achieve that. I will more than likely take your advice regarding hard wiring the speaker system once I have weathered the loco as I agree about the contacts getting displaced. 

I'm quite happy with the sound project on the whole just need to find a list of the functions to be honest. 

• 2 months later...

Figured a good way to get the bogie frame off - have your daughter bump into your fiddle yard while cleaning (minor miracle) and knock your prized possession onto the floor and colliding with an exercise machine on the way down.

Good news - now I know how to take the thing apart to clip it back on, so I can now fix the pick-ups (add) on an earlier version.

Bad news - in bouncing off the bike, one of the buffers snapped off and does not seem to be directly fixable.  An attempt to reattach the buffer to the shaft has failed.  So...…, anyone know of a suitable replacement?  

Thanks for your help.

Tex

• RMweb Gold

Bachmann 36-031 Oval Sprung buffers, the mount is painted black, so you’ll need a bit of buffer beam red paint.

Yank out the old mount and a tiny (cocktail stick end) of glue around the hole to set the new buffer in.

Alternatively, you could remove the oval buffer from a spare and attempt to fit it into the hole of the existing red bufferbeam head, though being sprung it’s quite tricky, often people just glue it in and dispense with it being sprung

Edited by adb968008
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Bachmann 36-031 Oval Sprung buffers, the mount is painted black, so you’ll need a bit of buffer beam red paint.

Yank out the old mount and a tiny (cocktail stick end) of glue around the hole to set the new buffer in.

Alternatively, you could remove the oval buffer from a spare and attempt to fit it into the hole of the existing red bufferbeam head, though being sprung it’s quite tricky, often people just glue it in and dispense with it being sprung

Thanks so much, appreciate the rapid response.